NEED HELP with 8800GTX OC

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello i'm having probs with my 8800GTX OC (overclocked is from factory) i'v had this card for about 8months and been running great untill about month ago when playing cod5 and lots of game the pc just restarted didnt think much of it but its doing it now every 20-30mins when playing the game so i updated everythink even the bios scan for virus cleaned the pc up scan for spyware and defraged it and its still doing the same so now i'm thinking it can be 2 things overheating or the psu

Overheating: So i been running speedfan and cheacking the temps of the GPU it sits at 65-68c idel but as soon as i jump on cod5 the temps jump up to 80-90c but as soon as it hits 90c the pc restarts pc is well vented with 4 fans 2 in the front sucking in 1 on the side and 1 on the back blowing out is there any think in the bios that mite be telling it to turn off as soon at it hits 90c?? only problem i got with that is everywhere i read about the card everyone is saying 90c is ok for this card will easy get in the 100sc so i can't see why its restarting the pc.

PSU: I did have a 1000watt psu in the pc for the 8months the card was going good till it stared the restarts i tryed a 550watt psu (spair one) but still doing the same and ppl been saying it might be my psu as if it was overheating you get artifacts and the pc will not just restart. with speedfan now for the power is. both 1000watt and the 550watt are showing the same power in speedfan

Vcore 1.22V
+12V 8.12 <----------------- for any one who knows about that i'v not got a clue with that
AVcc 3.33

just looking the bio and in there its got
Vcore 1.208V
+ 3.30V 3.376V
+5.00V 5.136V
+12.00V 11.616V

is this right and maybe speedfan is not giving me the right reading

Pc Specs

Motherbored
ASRock ConRoe 1333-D667
Pentiem D 3.00ghz <---- not that good i no
4gb ram same sticks 2gb each and tested both on there own both working in each slot
8800GTX OC 768mb
have i missed anythink

the pc just went off when typing this message so its not just when playing games

PLEASE HELP

thanks
hyper02

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Sounds to me like your Proc might be hitting its temp limit. I know you ran speed fan but I have seen and issue with this program before. I had a south bridge fan that was not turning and speed fan was telling me it was throttling up during use and down during idle and it cost me a mobo.

Check to see (visually) that all your fans are spinning. Especially your CPU cooler.

Irish

GL

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
hello all the fans are working just open the side case and had a look at them all so you think speedfan might be restarting the pc ? i was thinking it was the card trmp till just now when i was typing the last message the pc just restarted the card temp was at 60 cpu 41 AUX 45 but it is doing the same thing if i run a stress test on the card and as soon as it hits 90 thats it gos off

thing is i don't see how the 1000watt and 550watt got the same power as in speedfan but on both psu the pc is doing the same restarting but same time if i don't go on any game or a game with low gfx it will be ok and not go off as much looking on web sites the pc might stay on all day and not go off so i'm a bit lost and is seem to be restarting more with the 1000watt psu

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

I never said speed fan was shutting it off, I said speed fan will sometime report improperly.

If your telling me that your video card is hitting 90c and the fan is still spinning and then the computer shuts off. You have a heat issue. The card might be able to handle the temperature but MOBO's have built in limiters so they don't get fried. Your MOBO might be the thing that is shutting the computer down to save it self. Try leaving the side of the computer off and see if that helps.

Also things to try. Try playing a game for a min or 2 and then have a look inside your case, check to see if all the fans are still turning, put your hand inside the case and see if you can feel where the heat is coming from.

If your having a heat isue your PSU is not the culprite.

Another odd thing might be, Are all your fans turning the correct direction. I know it sounds odd, but a buddy of mine tried to build his own computer and kept having a heat issue and it turned out all of his fans were set to suck in and nothing exhausted the heat. I know odd but might be worth a look.

Irish

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
hello i trying it with the side off the case but was still the same but this time the screen just flickers and then come up with this

Display driver stopped reponding and has recovered display driver nvlddmkm stooped redponding and has successfully recovered

The card was factory over clocked so i set it back to default factory setting of the 8800 GTX.

Core Bus of factory over clocked is - 626MHz

and Memory Bus of factory over clocked is - 1000MHz.

I tried the core bus at 576mhz and the memory bus at 900mhz which is the stock settings for the factory 8800GTX

and i got the card up to 94C for and it stayed there for about 20 minutes and then restarted.

I don't know what it could be. Any ideas?

Thanks

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Ok lets try one more thing. It does sound like your GPU might be going bad. But try this take your Graphics card out and use the on board Graphics. Go about business as usual and see what happens. If the issue does not show itself again, you may have found your culprit and have to replace your video card. If the issue happens again which it shouldn't (the message you got refers to the GPU driver) but if it does there is something else wrong entirely.

irish

GL

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello the only problem with trying the onboard graphics is that I can't play any games or test it, my computer only restarts when im playing a game or benchmarking. It's only got off once or twice while on web pages or something over a month or so, its only when the graphic card is under load playing a game really.

Thanks

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hm, yeah. Sorry I hadn't figured that. COD5 prob will not run on that. There ahve to be some games out there that will run on that GPU. Hopefully someone else can drop 2 more coins.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Use program like Prime95 with the 8800GTX out, that will let you know if your PC is failing under graphics stress, or processor/general system stress. If it fails P95, then it's not just the graphics card. But if it only fails while gaming/graphics stressing then it's the card.

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
ok i'm not sure how long i have to run prime95 i left me 8800 GTX in the pc well testing and i left it for a hour running prime95 and all passed or do i have to leave it running for longer now i need i good prog to test the card any idea's on that ???

i just played sbk 09 for about 1hour and 30mins and didnt go off so some time it will do this then the next time i got and play it will last for like 30mins its a pain

thanks

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

You ran it on the 8800 or you ran it on the onboard GPU?

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
run prime95 with the 8800GTX left in but that program is not for the card is was to test the cpu and the ram so they seem ok after a hour of testing now i just need a good program to test my 8800GTX do you no of any and thanks for your help with this so far

:)

I have an 8800gtx that used to get up to 90c. My fix was Riva tuner, go in and set fan duty cycle to 100% can be loud if you have a quiet case (I have antec 900 so loud anyway) it dropped my max 30C I max 68 or so idle 40-50C might wanna give it a try. Those temps are on a stock GTX with OC to 720/1500/1000. :hello:

Rivatuner will also tell what the thermal threshold of your card is.
vgatemp.jpg

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
thanks for the post i give it a go and the card temp was at 81 - 85max under load but the pc still restarted so maybe its not the heat i'm getting lost with this now done stress test on ram psu and the card and the pc didnt go off and just be for i got rivatuner pc was just sitting on the desktop and restarted :( hmmm

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
if i was to get a new psu witch one will be the best can you point some out for me that will run my card to

and thanks for your help guys :)

hyper02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello

whats the best way to tell it my power as its not jus tdoing it in game now the pc may stay on all day and i'll have no problems but then the next day it will go off just sitting on the desktop,playing games,looking on websites and then restart and it will stay on again for hours some times mins so i can't see what it is at the mo but i done a reformat and still have it :(

TRENDING THREADS