Some questions regarding SLI

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Just ordered a second GTX 275 to go with my current one in SLI and have some questions as I have never done this before.

1. My ASUS P6T motherboard came with 2 connectors, one black bridge that says '3-way SLI' on it and another short brown ribbon cable that says 'ASUS' on it with 2 plugs on either end. Which connector do I use for 2-way SLI, the 3-way SLI bridge or the flat ribbonlike cable? (NOTE, the ribbon cable is definately some sort of multi gpu connector, NOT an IDE cable. I don't know if it is to be used for crossfire or SLI.)

2. If I have two cards with 896mb of GDDR3 memory each, does that combine the memory making 1792mb or does it just count as 896mb?

3. Both cards are EVGA and have been purchased within the last 30 days. If I want to do the EVGA step up program can I trade BOTH cards in for a GTX 295? (250+250= 500= gtx 295)

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I think the one with the two plugs at teh end would be SLI but I have to be carefull there, as it could be a crossfire bridge and that would be embarrasing, does the cards themselfs come with a SLI bridge?

no you will only have a totol of 896mb as it would use it as a mirror, how ever if you have 32 bit it will have to address that so be warned it may take it away from the useable physical memoery that can be used.

as for the trade in not sure, anyway I don't see the point as your two GTX275s will make up that in performaces to a GTX295