Is the Phenom II X4 965 the end of the line for AM3 ?

I want to build a new system. I am serioiusly thinking about a Phenom II X4 965 (or 955) one. But I was wondering about the upgrade path of this system. For instance, if I build this system with a GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard, will I be able to upgrade for a faster CPU in 2 year ? In 1 ? Or is the 965 the fastest CPU a AM3 based system will ever get ?

I would like to build a system that would get 1 CPU and 1 GPU upgrade during his life cycle. Is it realistic with a AM3 based one ?
8 answers Last reply
More about phenom line
  1. nope, there's a whole new stepping to come, and the 975 comes with it a 3.6GHz.

although they might go further than that (maybe 4GHz+) since bulldozer doesn't come out until 2011.
  2. I think you will se X6 on AM3 soon
  3. I think youre both right, but timing will depend
  4. Tho, I do wonder how theyre gonna work out the pin out for a hex core
    If they can get thermals down good enough, they can then get the hex on a 940.
    Less power draw, more connects to power pins. Who knows?
  5. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Tho, I do wonder how theyre gonna work out the pin out for a hex core
    If they can get thermals down good enough, they can then get the hex on a 940.
    Less power draw, more connects to power pins. Who knows?

Good question about the pinout. I wonder if they compensated in the AM3 redesign for that already?

Do you know if AMD is supposed to go to 32nm with Bulldozer, jaydeejohn?

I would think a move to a smaller fabrication and voltage reduction would bring their thermal profile down.

I need to start reading more sites and keeping up with the tech. Ah, if I only had the time like I used to when I was in high school and college :lol:
  6. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    I think youre both right, but timing will depend

IIRC somebody asked Meyer that question during the last quarter analyst call and he said there was no market and hence plans for istanbul on the desktop. Besides, as you have told us many times already, even 4 cores is underutililized :D.
  7. ^ in gaming maybe, but pretty much every other application can use a quad core.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Build