XP on a Thinkpad?

I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside from the
fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP onto it.
It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I do have
an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things is
there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any way to
hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to put
the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.
11 answers Last reply
More about thinkpad

    Frank J Wolz III wrote:
    > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old.
    > Aside from the fact that the hard drive is very small, is there
    > any way to get XP onto it. It came with 98 when it was first
    > released. It has no cd-rom, but I do have an external floppy
    > I bought and a network card. From these two things is there
    > any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive.
    > Any way to hook it up to the network and use another
    > computers cdrom drive, or to put the necessary xp files on a
    > floppy? thanks for any help.

    Yes, there are ways to do that, but first, let's find out if it's going to
    make sense to do it or not.

    What model of ThinkPad is this, and how much memory and what size disk does
    it have?

    -Mike

    Not sure of the model, I am at work it is at home, it has 96 MB ram, and i
    think like 2 gig hard drive. pretty sure about those
    thanks

    "Michael Geary" <Mike@DeleteThis.Geary.com> wrote in message
    > Frank J Wolz III wrote:
    > > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old.
    > > Aside from the fact that the hard drive is very small, is there
    > > any way to get XP onto it. It came with 98 when it was first
    > > released. It has no cd-rom, but I do have an external floppy
    > > I bought and a network card. From these two things is there
    > > any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive.
    > > Any way to hook it up to the network and use another
    > > computers cdrom drive, or to put the necessary xp files on a
    > > floppy? thanks for any help.
    >
    > Yes, there are ways to do that, but first, let's find out if it's going to
    > make sense to do it or not.
    >
    > What model of ThinkPad is this, and how much memory and what size disk
    does
    > it have?
    >
    > -Mike

    I used these guidelines to put Win2000 on a 166mhz 48mb RAM HP Omnibook
    800ct without any problems (so far!!). I use the laptop as a stand-alone
    for notes and other school work. I have used it with a wireless network,
    MSWord/Excel 97, too. Before I started the process, I was using about 80mb
    of RAM so my harddrive was always being accessed and it was running very
    slow and it would take forever for applications to start and for webpages to
    download. After following the guidelines to tweak Win2000 (there are also
    guidelines for WinXP) I now run at about 38mb or RAM in an idle state. Is
    this a gaming machine? NO! But it works "ok" for what I need.

    You need to click on the link to download the PDF document and follow the
    steps to disable or manually start several of the Windows built-in
    processes. This isn't a software download but just instructions, depending
    on your level of skill and what you are trying to accomplish with your
    laptop. For example, I don't use my laptop as a server or for gaming or for
    any major graphics uses so I followed the instructions and turned off those
    processes from starting. There are probably 30+ processes that you can go
    through and turn off (disable), turn on manually only when needed, or to run
    automatically. Many of the processes that take up significant RAM (wasted
    RAM) you will never need.

    Good luck!!!

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

    "Frank J Wolz III" <wolz.2@wright.edu> wrote in message
    > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside from
    the
    > fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP onto
    it.
    > It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I do
    have
    > an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things is
    > there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any way
    > hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to put
    > the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.

    That site looks great, but i don't have XP on my computer yet, i want to get
    it on there but the fact that it has no cd drive i can't. Someone mentioned
    earlier you can do it from another computer via ethernet, how would you do
    this?
    "Marty S." <SkoConsult@aol.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    > I used these guidelines to put Win2000 on a 166mhz 48mb RAM HP Omnibook
    > 800ct without any problems (so far!!). I use the laptop as a stand-alone
    > for notes and other school work. I have used it with a wireless network,
    > MSWord/Excel 97, too. Before I started the process, I was using about
    80mb
    > of RAM so my harddrive was always being accessed and it was running very
    > slow and it would take forever for applications to start and for webpages
    > download. After following the guidelines to tweak Win2000 (there are also
    > guidelines for WinXP) I now run at about 38mb or RAM in an idle state. Is
    > this a gaming machine? NO! But it works "ok" for what I need.
    >
    > You need to click on the link to download the PDF document and follow the
    > steps to disable or manually start several of the Windows built-in
    > processes. This isn't a software download but just instructions,
    depending
    > on your level of skill and what you are trying to accomplish with your
    > laptop. For example, I don't use my laptop as a server or for gaming or
    for
    > any major graphics uses so I followed the instructions and turned off
    those
    > processes from starting. There are probably 30+ processes that you can go
    > through and turn off (disable), turn on manually only when needed, or to
    run
    > automatically. Many of the processes that take up significant RAM (wasted
    > RAM) you will never need.
    >
    > Good luck!!!
    >
    > --
    > Marty S.
    > Baltimore, MD USA
    >

    > "Frank J Wolz III" <wolz.2@wright.edu> wrote in message
    > > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside from

    > the
    > > fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP onto
    > it.
    > > It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I do
    > have
    > > an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things
    is
    > > there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any
    way
    > > hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to
    put
    > > the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.

    I wouldn't do it that way because I don't have a lot of experience working
    across a network, especially trying to download software onto a machine
    without software.

    The path I would take is what I took with my cheap laptop -- go to Ebay and
    find an inexpensive external CD drive (or borrow one from a friend)... load
    a basic version of the CD's drivers (even if you have to load DOS first),
    then install XP from that CD. With Win2000 you can create 4 start-up
    floppies that put the basic drivers on your machine so you can then install
    the operating system from the CD but I'm not sure what the procedure is for
    WinXP. This probably isn't an "elegant" solution, but it worked for me.
    You'd need the CD drive to load things like a word processing program,
    spreadsheet, virus protection, games, etc., anyway, so why not breakdown and
    spend the $25 to $50 on a PCMCIA drive or USB or serial drive?

    --

> [...]
    > >

    > > "Frank J Wolz III" <wolz.2@wright.edu> wrote in message
    > > > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside
    from

    > > the
    > > > fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP
    onto
    > > it.
    > > > It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I
    do
    > > have
    > > > an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things
    > is
    > > > there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any
    > way
    > > > hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to
    > put
    > > > the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.

    thats true about future software, thanks
> [...]
    > do
    > > > have
    > > is
    Any
    > > way
    > > put

    "Frank J Wolz III" <wolz.2@wright.edu> wrote in message
    > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside from
    the
    > fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP onto
    it.
    > It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I do
    have
    > an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things is
    > there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any way
    > hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to put
    > the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.

    Of course you can install it from another computer's CD drive via ethernet.
    But are you sure you want to do this? Because XP can be painfully slow on
    your TP. In fact, it may not even meet XP's minimal requirements at all.

    Regards
    Lucar

    ok, if i wanted to, how would i do it via ethernet?

    > Not sure of the model, I am at work it is at home, it has 96 MB ram, and i
    > think like 2 gig hard drive. pretty sure about those
    > thanks

    Then forget it man! It won't run on your machine.

    Regards
    Lucar

    There are ways to do it, but from your description, the laptop is too
    old to really run XP in a satisfactory manner. The minimum requirements
    would be about a 2 gig hard drive, a 300 MHz Pentium II and 256 megs of
    memory.

    Frank J Wolz III wrote:

    > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside from the
    > fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP onto it.
    > It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I do have
    > an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things is
    > there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any way to
    > hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to put
    > the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.

    Frank,

    Turn the laptop over and tell us what the model number is...
    Look at the little barcode on the IBM label.. you should seen a 4 x 3
    number, next to a S/N.. it'll look like 9546-7J4, or 2644-4E3,
    something similar to that, 4 numbers followed by 3 numbers/letters.
    Post THAT number/letter combo here and we'll be able to tell you the
    particulars about it... the model, processor type, hard drive size and
    general memory amount. From that we'll be able to tell you if that
    machine will even run with XP, which from the sound of it is HIGHLY
    unlikely.

    IBM usually loaded Win3.1 or W95 on the old laptops, because those were
    the only OS's that would run well. There were a few with OS/2 also.

    Post the number here and we can tell you more..

    TJ

    Frank J Wolz III wrote:

    > I just got a hand me down IBM Thinkpad which is pretty old. Aside from the
    > fact that the hard drive is very small, is there any way to get XP onto it.
    > It came with 98 when it was first released. It has no cd-rom, but I do have
    > an external floppy I bought and a network card. From these two things is
    > there any way to get XP. I have the CD for XP, but no CD drive. Any way to
    > hook it up to the network and use another computers cdrom drive, or to put
    > the necessary xp files on a floppy? thanks for any help.

    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Floppy Disk Windows XP Thinkpad Laptops