HP's 8Gb RAM on Intel i7920

vince_1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I am not feeling very bright today... 8 divided by 3 three is 2.666666...
So how did HP RAM 8Gbs of memory on a tri-channel Intel i7 920 CPU as advertised on their site. I am not saying it's impossible I just would like to know!

Maybe 2.66666... RAM sticks are now available?

Your input is highly appreciated!

Vince

runswindows95

Distinguished

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I highly doubt it, as far as i know the main sticks come in 1,2 and 4 Gigs. SO 8GB so unless they have some custom made stuff inside i would think its safe to bet that its dual channeled. But then again, I am not sure so dont take what i said as a fact :)

vince_1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

I don't know of an i7 920 processor that runs on dual channel. http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm

If you know of a i7 that operates on any but tri-channel, let me know.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
i7 can run in single channel, dual channel and triple channel.

like 1156 Core iX can run single channel and dual channel, and really old platforms can only run single channel.

runswindows95

Distinguished
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=KX745-69001

The motherboard can do tri-channel, and up to 24GB of RAM (6X4GB). It's just a question of the motherboard, RAM configuration, and which slots are being used that determine the number of channels, not the CPU. When HP does 8GB, it's 4X2GB, which will make it only single channel (All three black slots, and one blue slot if I had to guess). When you configure one, the only time the system will come with tri-channel RAM is when you get 12GB of RAM (6X2GB or all six slots filled).

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^+1 I would have to agree 100%

-and as for stevensl2, intel is more popular then amd, and if you go inside a corporate building any server you find will have an intel chip inside of it, so your tiny opinion with no support is looks pretty dumb :) give me an example of how amd is better besides being cheaper...I am not saying intel is better or anything just trying to see your reasoning behind your bold little statement.

daship

Distinguished

Someone has penis envy, thats why you got i7 in your signature. We all know you really fot a AMD sempron.

vince_1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Man thatz harsh...but I'm sure you have your reasons ! Hope it works out.

vince_1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Man thatz harsh...I'm sure you have your reasons! Hope it works out!

vince_1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Gotcha!!!

But seriously, i7 in dual ch or even single...why would you want to do that to an i7. It's not right; wrong to the point where it's criminal :fou:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I agree but most consumers dont know that and if they see 6gb vs 8gb of ram they automatically think that 8gb is better and snatch it when in reality 6gb would give them far better performance since its triple channel.