Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building gaming rig, ~$1500, need advice on PSU, CPU, MOBO, Case...

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 17, 2009 7:03:33 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some details below using theAnimal's Guide *How to Ask for New Build Advice*, which is a good standard IMO. Although as I said in my title I need help choosing a good MOBO, CPU and PSU (as well as the case and headset), I am open to advice for anything in my build, which includes the built computer, display, keyboard, mouse, and headset.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: At most, two months from today, May 16 BUDGET RANGE: Around $1500 ($1400 to $1600)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Running VM's, Home Entertainment, Internet, Movies + Editing, Multi-tasking, Other.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I only have an OS disc (Vista, 64 bit). Other than that, I need to buy everything.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg by far. I would really like to get most everything from Newegg.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Samsung for the display and Intel for the GPU, as well as ATI for the graphics. Other than that, I have no preferences.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, Crossfire, unless somebody can convince me that SLI is a better choice.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: The higher the better, I guess. My base setup below has a very generous 2048 x 1152 screen, since it would be nice to work on HD video at it's native resolution with wiggle room, but I am open to other options.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I don't mind a noisy computer so long as it isn't a jet engine and stays cool. This is my first gaming build, so both advice and components that a newer person can assemble would be nice. I do have experience building rigs, but this would be the first using all-new parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that many people will not want to read through everything, so the items I specifically need advice on end with "THIS IS AN AREA I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS!".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Build So Far:

VIDEO CARD/GPU: SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail, $259.99, Free Shipping ($10.00 Mail-In Rebate). This was in TH's Best Graphics of April for this price range, and seems to be a good choice. I prefer ATI over nVidia at the moment because I have heard more issues with SLI than Crossfire, which is important ue to the fact that I want the rig to be upgradeable over time.

PROCESSOR/CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail, $269.99, Free Shipping ($20.00 Combo Rebate with chosen Motherboard). I will admit that I have loyalty to Intel but even so, I am torn between a solid quad-core or a really fast dual-core. Although quads won't do much for games at this time, they will later on, and VM's, Video Editing, and Multitasking will surely get a boost from the chip. I figure this CPU will last quite a while, and can be easily overclocked. THIS IS AN AREA I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS!

CPU FAN + THERMAL COMPOUND: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail + Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM, $31.99, Free Shipping & $8.99, Free Shipping. Both brands and products are reputably solid, and it is imperative to get a good CPU fan since I intend to overclock it.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail, $114.99, Free Shipping ($15.00 Mail-In Rebate, $20.00 Combo Rebate with chosen Processor/CPU). This seems like a good choice: I get a good deal, it has high ratings, and is designed for OC'ing. However, I repeat again that I have no experience with motherboards made for gaming, so THIS IS AN AREA I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS!

MEMORY/RAM: OCZ Platinum Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory - Retail, $114.99, Free Shipping. I know 8GB seems excessive, but with it I can give a VM 4GB of RAM and not have to worry about taking too much from the main OS. It is also easily overclocked and comes with sexy heat spreaders.

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM, $99.99, Free Shipping. I really don't see the point of gaming-specific hard drives; they are an awful choice in terms of value. With a large cache and capacity for $100, I doubt it will slow down loading times in comparison to a Veloceraptor by more than a second or two. Plus, it's a pretty reliable brand, at least in my limited experience with Western Digital.

DVD/CD DRIVE/BURNER: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM, $26.99, Free Shipping. This is barely a choice worth mentioning; I don't need a Blu-Ray burner or reader, because any HD video I work on does not need to be burned on a disc, so I just chose a nice, reliable drive.

CASE: Rosewill Conqueror WBK Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case with Side Panel - Retail, $59.99, Free Shipping. I chose this case purely because I like how it looks. Obviously, that isn't the best idea, since cooling is far more important... so THIS IS AN AREA I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS!

PSU: KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX / BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail, $74.99. I think this will suffice for what I want, but I don't know which brands are more reliable, and I don't know if this is flexible enough for multiple builds in the future. Given the importance of this component, THIS IS AN AREA I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS!

DISPLAY: SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - Retail, $219.99, Free Shipping. For $220 this is an incredible bargain, and the density is exactly what I need. I would have to probably reduce the effects on some really intense games, but for Photoshop and such it is perfect.

KEYBOARD + MOUSE: Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail + Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail, $89.99, Free Shipping & $39.99.[/i] Logitech is a good brand. The G15 and MX518 are good products. Enough said.

HEADSET: TRITTON AX 51 Pro 3.5mm Circumaural True 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset, $89.99. As ugly and large as they seem, they have solid reviews, but I have no experience with full-on headsets, so THIS IS AN AREA I WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS!

SHIPPING: $19.39. With so many items having free shipping, this is fantastic! Helps preserve the money for actual merchandise.

ORIGINAL COST: $1492.25
-COMBO REBATE: -$20.00
-MAIL-IN REBATES -$25.00

GRAND TOTAL: $1447.25

Looks like I have $50.00 to play with (although it would be a nice buffer just in case I need to RMA something), which means you can advise a more expensive part to replace anything if you are so inclined. Although I can spend up to about $1600, I would only do so if I gain enough in return; I am looking for a good value in my build.

Thank you for helping me out... If I go forward building this, I will be sure to post benchmarks and such. You can post your own PC if you want, too.

VGM
May 17, 2009 8:00:06 PM

This is hard because you need the keyboard and mouse, without those we could of stepped up to an i7 build, well here is my effort anyway, may be a bit more but okay.

@GPU
The 4850x2 is a great card, but I am not a fan of x2 cards in general, they usually take up more power and are a lot hotter, the 4850x2 thought comes with 2 fans so I have no idea, but I guess if you want you can check out this:

SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB OC Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$260 ($20 MIR)

@CPU
With that budget I would rather you go with the Core i7, but the keyboard/mouse and monitor make it somewhat hard, I'll try anyway.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$288

$30 Combo Deal: GPU + CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

@Motherboard
I also don't know much about motherboards (atleast not much in the P45 area) but if it what you say it is - it's a good motherboard. Since I want you to have an i7 set up you need an X58 motherboard.

Asus P6T x58
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$250

$20 Combo Deal MB + CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

@RAM
OCZ Makes great ram and are a highly recommended brand, sadly since I want you to get the i7, you can't use that DDR2 RAM. Here is a faster (1333 Mhz) DDR3 RAM kit of 6GB

OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$85 ($10 MIR)

$25 Combo Deal: MB + RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

@Hard Drive
Well what you said about the velociraptor only giving you a few seconds increase is wrong, but that hard drive is fine, I don't like SSDs - far to expensive and too little capacity.

@DVD
I don't know much about DVD burners, but I guess that's a nice one..

@Case
Rosewill is usually the maker of lesser quality products, but I guess that's why they are so cheap, if you want a good case and good quality, then the Antec 300 is perfect. If the side window is that important you can buy some glass and make it yourself.

Antec 300 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$55

@PSU
I have not heard of much of Kinwin and really the PSU is the LAST place you want to cheap out on. I would assume that 700W is enough, if you want to crossfire two 4850x2 then you will need a 1KW at the minimum.

Corsair 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$120 ($20 MIR)

Corsair 1000W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$240 ($30 MIR)

Antec 1000W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$200

BFG Tech 1200W (Decent brand of power supply, Antec & Corsair are much better though)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$250

@Display
You know what you want. I'm a total idiot when it comes to monitors.

@Keyboard + Mouse
Logitech is great quality. I recommend them.

@Headset
I have no idea.


Whats good about this is that you said 2 months max - in 2 months these prices can all fall! I can't add this up, to many combo deals, mail in rebates, etc. You may be able to find more and better combo deals if you REALLY look around.
May 17, 2009 9:12:20 PM

philipV said:
This is hard because you need the keyboard and mouse, without those we could of stepped up to an i7 build, well here is my effort anyway, may be a bit more but okay.


True... I was really considering it. But it would cause the price of everything else to go up (specifically the *EDIT* Motherboard, NOT Keyboard, Duh and RAM). I could increase my budget in the two months I am waiting in order to fit it in, but right now the computer is just a plan.

philipV said:
@CPU
With that budget I would rather you go with the Core i7, but the keyboard/mouse and monitor make it somewhat hard, I'll try anyway.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$288

$30 Combo Deal: GPU + CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

@Motherboard
I also don't know much about motherboards (atleast not much in the P45 area) but if it what you say it is - it's a good motherboard. Since I want you to have an i7 set up you need an X58 motherboard.

Asus P6T x58
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$250

$20 Combo Deal MB + CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

@RAM
OCZ Makes great ram and are a highly recommended brand, sadly since I want you to get the i7, you can't use that DDR2 RAM. Here is a faster (1333 Mhz) DDR3 RAM kit of 6GB

OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$85 ($10 MIR)

$25 Combo Deal: MB + RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


I am wondering if sacrificing the good keyboard and mouse could squeak in the i7. I will come up with a build including the processor and update the thread later.


philipV said:
@GPU
The 4850x2 is a great card, but I am not a fan of x2 cards in general, they usually take up more power and are a lot hotter, the 4850x2 thought comes with 2 fans so I have no idea, but I guess if you want you can check out this:

SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB OC Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$260 ($20 MIR)


I was considering something like that, or just 2 individual cards. It looks as if 2 fans and a good enough case should keep it cool and let it fit inside (the card is huge), and it's a pretty good deal.


philipV said:
@Hard Drive
Well what you said about the velociraptor only giving you a few seconds increase is wrong, but that hard drive is fine, I don't like SSDs - far to expensive and too little capacity.


I personally think what I said above is the case. Assuming I am wrong, I would have to give up more cash and more space, both of which I need. I guess I can try to fit a gaming-specific hard drive in my "Build, Take 2". I will probably have to bump up the budget along with it...


philipV said:
@Case
Rosewill is usually the maker of lesser quality products, but I guess that's why they are so cheap, if you want a good case and good quality, then the Antec 300 is perfect. If the side window is that important you can buy some glass and make it yourself.

Antec 300 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$55


This was my 2'nd choice, and it is nice to have someone recommend it. I guess I should switch it out.

philipV said:
@PSU
I have not heard of much of Kinwin and really the PSU is the LAST place you want to cheap out on. I would assume that 700W is enough, if you want to crossfire two 4850x2 then you will need a 1KW at the minimum.

Corsair 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$120 ($20 MIR)

Corsair 1000W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$240 ($30 MIR)

Antec 1000W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$200

BFG Tech 1200W (Decent brand of power supply, Antec & Corsair are much better though)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$250


I know the importance of the PSU, and although it can handle what the build is made up of at the moment, adding another card would probably overwhelm it. I am probably going to up the ante towards a 1000-1200W.


philipV said:

Whats good about this is that you said 2 months max - in 2 months these prices can all fall! I can't add this up, to many combo deals, mail in rebates, etc. You may be able to find more and better combo deals if you REALLY look around.


Very true. I will re-post a new build very soon, and I will allow a little more flexibility in my budget (Let's go for no more than $1750), since I have enough upfront to get that much by 2 months.

I will post more later! Thanks.
Related resources
May 17, 2009 9:28:51 PM

VGM10000 said:
True... I was really considering it. But it would cause the price of everything else to go up (specifically the keyboard and RAM). I could increase my budget in the two months I am waiting in order to fit it in, but right now the computer is just a plan.


Why would the i7 cause the price of the keyboard to increase, or did you mean something else? It's more the motherboard then the RAM, the DDR3 RAM has fallen in price drastically. Hopefully you can save up some more cash and prices will fall!

VGM10000 said:
I am wondering if sacrificing the good keyboard and mouse could squeak in the i7. I will come up with a build including the processor and update the thread later.


I say buy a keyboard and mouse from a store, a store like Office Depot has many on display so you can see which one is the most comfortable, fits your needs, etc.

VGM10000 said:
I was considering something like that, or just 2 individual cards. It looks as if 2 fans and a good enough case should keep it cool and let it fit inside (the card is huge), and it's a pretty good deal.


Yeah I was also thinking that, I'm more for the power consumption, if get a single card you can get away with a lesser power supply, but since the power supplys are getting cheaper as well (like the $2000 1KW) it really can't hurt to get it. More room for upgrades as well.

VGM10000 said:
I personally think what I said above is the case. Assuming I am wrong, I would have to give up more cash and more space, both of which I need. I guess I can try to fit a gaming-specific hard drive in my "Build, Take 2". I will probably have to bump up the budget along with it...


No I wasn't recommending any gaming-specific hard drives or velociraptops, the gaming-specifics (I asumme you mean SSDs?) have chances of failure, they also cost ALOT more money (5TB 7.2K = 250GB SSD) and are also falling in price currently and you can get them later on. When they do drop in price you can get some cheaper small capacities and use those for your OS and some games.

VGM10000 said:
This was my 2'nd choice, and it is nice to have someone recommend it. I guess I should switch it out.


If you want some bling you or someone else can mod the 300 to fit your needs.

VGM10000 said:
I know the importance of the PSU, and although it can handle what the build is made up of at the moment, adding another card would probably overwhelm it. I am probably going to up the ante towards a 1000-1200W.


That is exactly what I think, having a bigger power supply gives you peace of mind and lets you upgrade without the hassle of a new power supply, think of it as the longest lasting component of your computer (that is if you get a big size). I am also not that good with power supplies and I think someone else should give a comment on that BFG Tech I recommended - they are a good brand but sometimes a particular model sucks.


VGM10000 said:
Very true. I will re-post a new build very soon, and I will allow a little more flexibility in my budget (Let's go for no more than $1750), since I have enough upfront to get that much by 2 months.

I will post more later! Thanks.


Do you want me to rebuild the system with that budget?
May 17, 2009 9:43:13 PM

For the GPU I would look at 2 x 4770's - best bang for the buck and if you play at 1920 x 1200 or lower it beats the 4890 at only $200 - not bad. Here is the article on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfi...

These cards run very cool and actually draw less power than a single 4890 - a lot to be said for that. Of course you don't have the opportunity to upgrade to 2 x 4890's - but if you aren't planning to upgrade in a years time at least - then I wouldn't plan on getting 2 x 4890's anyways - they will be outdated very very likely by then.
May 18, 2009 12:38:36 AM

philipV said:
Why would the i7 cause the price of the keyboard to increase


Meant MOBO, sorry about the typo.

philipV said:
Do you want me to rebuild the system with that budget?


If you want to, go ahead :) . I decided to rebuild at that budget, and although I went a little over, the new system is fantastic:

The Build, Take 2:

VIDEO CARD/GPU: SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail, $259.99, Free Shipping ($10.00 Mail-In Rebate).

PROCESSOR/CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail, $288.99, Free Shipping ($20.00 Combo Rebate with chosen Processor/CPU).

CPU FAN + THERMAL COMPOUND: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail + Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM, $31.99, Free Shipping & $8.99, Free Shipping.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail, $249.99 ($20.00 Combo Rebate with chosen Processor/CPU).

MEMORY/RAM: OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail , $85.99, Free Shipping ($10.00 Mail-In Rebate).

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM, $99.99, Free Shipping.

DVD/CD DRIVE/BURNER: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM, $26.99, Free Shipping.

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail , $109.99, Free Shipping.

PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail, $199.99, Free Shipping.

DISPLAY: SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - Retail, $219.99, Free Shipping.

KEYBOARD + MOUSE: Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail + Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail, $89.99, Free Shipping & $39.99.

HEADSET: TRITTON AX 51 Pro 3.5mm Circumaural True 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset, $89.99.

SHIPPING: $20.52.

ORIGINAL COST: $1823.38
-COMBO REBATE: -$20.00
-MAIL-IN REBATES -$20.00
GRAND TOTAL: $1783.38

I go over by about $30, but I can get a cheaper case to resolve that. I took your advice for most of the improvements, and the only real negative I have is that I am stuck with 2GB less RAM (I would have to jump to 12GB to get a full set, and that adds another $100).

It is so easy to make the budget larger and larger to add on more and more... ah well. $1750 allows for a top-of the line processor and parts, but I doubt that my setup is the best value. I will probably make some adjustments and update it tomorrow.

VGM
May 18, 2009 12:45:22 AM

nerrawg said:
For the GPU I would look at 2 x 4770's - best bang for the buck and if you play at 1920 x 1200 or lower it beats the 4890 at only $200 - not bad. Here is the article on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfi...

These cards run very cool and actually draw less power than a single 4890 - a lot to be said for that. Of course you don't have the opportunity to upgrade to 2 x 4890's - but if you aren't planning to upgrade in a years time at least - then I wouldn't plan on getting 2 x 4890's anyways - they will be outdated very very likely by then.


I will have to look into this! Getting less of a power draw, less heat, and a lower cost for more power is a win/win, even if I lose a slot (which I have 4 of in my "Take 2" Build). If it seems like the best choice, I will include it (or something simelar) in my "Take 3 Build" tomorrow.
May 18, 2009 1:24:06 AM

This build features two 4890's Crossfired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $144.99 ($119.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U3R $179.99 | $164.99 after rebate
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I7-920 $265.99 Free Ground Shipping
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $39.99 Free Shipping*
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $4.99
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 ($219.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
GIGABYTE GV-R489-1GH-B Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 ($219.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
GIGABYTE GV-R489-1GH-B Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $189.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $24.99 Free Shipping*
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM

Total: $1,405.90 | $1,305.90 w/mail in rebates

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.... <---Save yourself some money and dl the 64 bit version of Windows 7 :) 

May 18, 2009 2:06:22 AM

Why_Me said:
This build features two 4890's Crossfired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $144.99 ($119.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U3R $179.99 | $164.99 after rebate
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I7-920 $265.99 Free Ground Shipping
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $39.99 Free Shipping*
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $4.99
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 ($219.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
GIGABYTE GV-R489-1GH-B Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 ($219.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
GIGABYTE GV-R489-1GH-B Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $189.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $24.99 Free Shipping*
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM

Total: $1,405.90 | $1,305.90 w/mail in rebates


What is interesting about your build is that you allocate over $100 more than my 2nd build to graphics, and then take away from the MOBO, CASE, CPU FAN+COMPOUND. You then stick with basically the same RAM, HD, and put in a good brand 850W PSU (Which is my only large critique in that I couldn't add on much more). I am impressed with the setup though; adding on the display and keyboard and mouse and headset, it comes to under $1750 after Mail-In Rebates.

...Did you include shipping in the cost though?

I will have to really look over and consider your clever choices when I post a 3rd rig setup tomorrow. I wanted to find a way to allocate more to the GPU and other areas given my primary uses for the computer, and this seems to be a method of doing so.

Why_Me said:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.... <---Save yourself some money and dl the 64 bit version of Windows 7 :) 


You know, I have Windows 7 Beta on my laptop, and I am thinking of putting it on my computer instead of Vista just because its so much better (in BETA form). Plus I can keep the OS disc for some other build/person/trash can.
May 18, 2009 2:18:43 AM

VGM10000 said:
What is interesting about your build is that you allocate over $100 more than my 2nd build to graphics, and then take away from the MOBO, CASE, CPU FAN+COMPOUND. You then stick with basically the same RAM, HD, and put in a good brand 850W PSU (Which is my only large critique in that I couldn't add on much more). I am impressed with the setup though; adding on the display and keyboard and mouse and headset, it comes to under $1750 after Mail-In Rebates.

...Did you include shipping in the cost though?

I will have to really look over and consider your clever choices when I post a 3rd rig setup tomorrow. I wanted to find a way to allocate more to the GPU and other areas given my primary uses for the computer, and this seems to be a method of doing so.



You know, I have Windows 7 Beta on my laptop, and I am thinking of putting it on my computer instead of Vista just because its so much better (in BETA form). Plus I can keep the OS disc for some other build/person/trash can.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... <--- You can shave off a few more dollars by using that combo...it's the WD640 instead of the 1T. Not sure about shipping cost....I live in Alaska, so I don't think I could honestly figure that in unless you lived in Alaska also. But most of that stuff is free shipping.
May 18, 2009 10:36:07 PM

I unfortunately did not hame much tome to do much editing, but I know what should be changed if need be.

The Build, Take 3:

VIDEO CARD/GPU: SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail, $259.99, Free Shipping ($10.00 Mail-In Rebate).

PROCESSOR/CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail, $288.99, Free Shipping ($20.00 Combo Rebate with chosen Processor/CPU).

CPU FAN + THERMAL COMPOUND: XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail + Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail, $39.99, Free Shipping & $4.99, Free Shipping.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail, $249.99 ($20.00 Combo Rebate with chosen Processor/CPU).

MEMORY/RAM: OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail , $85.99, Free Shipping ($10.00 Mail-In Rebate).

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM, $99.99, Free Shipping.

DVD/CD DRIVE/BURNER: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM , $24.99, Free Shipping.

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail , $109.99, Free Shipping.

PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail, $199.99, Free Shipping.

DISPLAY: SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - Retail, $219.99, Free Shipping.


KEYBOARD + MOUSE: Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail + Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail, $89.99, Free Shipping & $39.99.

HEADSET: TRITTON AX 51 Pro 3.5mm Circumaural True 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset, $89.99.

SHIPPING: $17.53.

ORIGINAL COST: $1822.39
-COMBO REBATE: -$20.00
-MAIL-IN REBATES -$20.00
GRAND TOTAL: $1782.39

I know almost nothing is different besides the bump in the CPU cooling and the DVD/CD drive... however, I figure that the best thing to do to maximize value would be to find a different motherboard, and use whatever is saved for graphics.

Sorry this isn't a sweeping edit, but what do you guys think?
!