Sign in with
Your question

P7P55D Pro - Single short beep on powering

Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2009 10:15:48 PM

Alright, so I am building my first computer.
I've already got everything together and what not, and I'm pretty positive everything is completely right except possibly the power supply cords to fans and what not... they just seem really redundant, but that wouldn't cause this issue.

So, every time I plug the power cable into the power supply and turn the power supply on, the green like comes on(SB power), and it makes a single short beep.

According to the manual this means:
VGA Detected
No Keyboard Detected
Quickboot set to disabled

According to the internet, to enable quickboot without beeing in BIOS you can remove the CMOS battery, move the jumpers to 2-3, then move the jumpers back to 1-2 after a few seconds, then put the CMOS battery back in.

I did that.

Still the "single beep of death."

So, only owning a G15 USB keyboard(which requires installation and didn't work, so I assumed I needed a ps/2) I went and borrowed an older one with the circle(ps/2) connector.

Plugged it in.

No dice.

I'm not really sure what it would be at this point, and I'm fairly sure it isn't the power supply because the standby power light comes on...

Oh, and if it's any consolation, I just removed all of my RAM and it is still doing only a single short beep.

Please help,
Thanks

Oh, pressing the power button on the front of the case does nothing, and the standby power light is the ONLY one on, and it is constant and green.
November 6, 2009 4:41:51 PM

Oh, just noticed. When I turn on the power supply, the three lights on the keyboard flash on for about a quarter of a second...
if that means anything...

I've moved my ram around in slots, removed some of it(considering I have 8gb total) and still nothing.

Halp meh.
m
l
November 6, 2009 11:55:43 PM

Do you have both the 8-pin CPU power connector, and the 24-pin ATX power connected? Manual says system wont boot without both plugged in.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2009 1:24:51 AM

Yes they are both plugged in.
m
l
November 7, 2009 2:14:52 AM

alkali said:
Yes they are both plugged in.

Can you give us a run down on the components you have installed? CPU, power supply, video card, etc.
m
l
November 7, 2009 3:16:31 AM

McFly76 said:
Can you give us a run down on the components you have installed? CPU, power supply, video card, etc.

Alright.

NZXT zero 2 case
XION 800w power supply
P7P55D PRO motherboard
Geforce GTX 260
i5-750 something like 2.63Ghz or 2.93
4x2048GB OCZ Dual Channel DDR3 ram sticks
1TB SATA harddrive
m
l
November 7, 2009 2:54:59 PM

jsc said:
Our standard basic checklist and troubleshooting thread:
Boot problems
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Both you and someone on another forum linked to the same thing...

I can't believe I did that.

I saw the packet of stand-off screws when I started building it, and I had no idea what they were.
"These are probably important" as I set them off to the side.

After unpacking and moving all my *** around in my extraordinarily small and full room, they were forgotten at the bottom of a box.

My MOBO manual didn't mention them in the placement part of it... and I didn't notice the little fine text in the case manual at the bottom that mentioned it.

But, I got it fixed, just in time to leave town until midnight tonight.

D*** my timing to hell!
m
l
November 7, 2009 4:14:17 PM

Ahhh, just what I was gonna tell you next. Check the standoffs. I did the same my first build. Dont worry about it, it happens!
m
l
!