Need help choosing memory for core i7 build

kanati

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Hi everyone,
I've almost got all the parts for my new build picked out. Here's the link to my original post for this build.

Here are the relevant parts I'm planning on getting: Core i7 920 (oc'd to 3,33ghz), Asus P6T SE

I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly I should be looking for when it comes to memory. I understand that I need to keep the memory voltage below 1.65 or the i7 might fry. I also understand that higher memory clock speeds and lower latencies are better. What I'm not too sure about is how all of these interact. OCZ makes a line of memory which is supposedly 'optimised' for core i7 processors, which I figure is a pretty safe choice. The OCZ PC3-10666 i7 Optimised modules run at 1333MHz with timings of 8-8-8-20 at 1.6 volts. The PC3-12800 modules from the same product line run at 1600mhz at 8-8-8-24 and 1.65 volts. So, the more expensive memory is clocked higher but has higher timings and a higher voltage. Does the clock speed advantage outweigh the timing and voltage disadvantage? Also, the OCZ 'core i7 optimised' memory seems to be a bit more expensive than DDR3 RAM from other manufacturers. Is their any reason to spend the extra?

Thanks for the help!
-Kanati

kanati

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with OCZ. They've never given me problems before and the price difference in Canada between the two is all of $9.

OCZ makes good quality RAM. You should be happy with them.

+1 to why_me and gkay. The RAM they listed were also good options. That's a good price on those mushkins. G.Skill is always a good choice as well.