Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing memory for core i7 build

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2009 8:10:27 PM

Hi everyone,
I've almost got all the parts for my new build picked out. Here's the link to my original post for this build.

Here are the relevant parts I'm planning on getting: Core i7 920 (oc'd to 3,33ghz), Asus P6T SE

I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly I should be looking for when it comes to memory. I understand that I need to keep the memory voltage below 1.65 or the i7 might fry. I also understand that higher memory clock speeds and lower latencies are better. What I'm not too sure about is how all of these interact. OCZ makes a line of memory which is supposedly 'optimised' for core i7 processors, which I figure is a pretty safe choice. The OCZ PC3-10666 i7 Optimised modules run at 1333MHz with timings of 8-8-8-20 at 1.6 volts. The PC3-12800 modules from the same product line run at 1600mhz at 8-8-8-24 and 1.65 volts. So, the more expensive memory is clocked higher but has higher timings and a higher voltage. Does the clock speed advantage outweigh the timing and voltage disadvantage? Also, the OCZ 'core i7 optimised' memory seems to be a bit more expensive than DDR3 RAM from other manufacturers. Is their any reason to spend the extra?

Thanks for the help!
-Kanati
Related resources
a b } Memory
May 18, 2009 12:26:01 PM

Well +1 for both
The price of the OCZ Platinum has gone up high...It was about $94 before rebates...
The current price of it, is making me to suggest the GSkillz over that one...
Well here is a good priced Mushkin...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 18, 2009 1:44:00 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with OCZ. They've never given me problems before and the price difference in Canada between the two is all of $9.
a b } Memory
May 18, 2009 3:29:57 PM

OCZ makes good quality RAM. You should be happy with them.

+1 to why_me and gkay. The RAM they listed were also good options. That's a good price on those mushkins. G.Skill is always a good choice as well.
!