Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hyper 212+ Installation help

Last response: in Overclocking
March 23, 2011 12:04:47 AM

Been trying to figure this out for about two hours now. I have an AM3 socket, after installing the retention bracket on the back of the motherboard succesfully and according to how I should, I am at the point of installing the "adjustable" male bracket that fits between the direct contact surface and the heatsink. I hit a problem.

Every time I put in one of the screws, the other side "bends up" and its not possible to screw it in without snapping something important in half. Its like the screw alignment is off. I've tried setting the bracket on a flat surface to get an idea of what i'm doing wrong, but I can't figure it out.

I don't really know how to describe this other than extremely frustrating. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the male bracket will not fit flatly down so I can screw them all in.

I've looked through youtube videos, forums, diagrams, and the horrible instruction manual..... none seem to address my issue.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

More about : hyper 212 installation

a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2011 12:41:58 AM

Please make sure that you have the correct brackets for the AM3 socket. Then, if you feel that the holes don't line-up, just try opening up the holes using an electric drill. Go to the next larger drill size. This will usually take care of holes alignment issues.

Don't be afraid to grab the bull by the horns!
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2011 1:30:25 AM

One of our Moderators has a thread on this subject. Please read through it and if you have questions, feel free to PM him and he should be able to help you out.. I would think :D 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258023-29-installing-...
Related resources
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 23, 2011 3:15:43 AM

Anraleth said:
Been trying to figure this out for about two hours now. I have an AM3 socket, after installing the retention bracket on the back of the motherboard succesfully and according to how I should, I am at the point of installing the "adjustable" male bracket that fits between the direct contact surface and the heatsink. I hit a problem.

Every time I put in one of the screws, the other side "bends up" and its not possible to screw it in without snapping something important in half. Its like the screw alignment is off. I've tried setting the bracket on a flat surface to get an idea of what i'm doing wrong, but I can't figure it out.

I don't really know how to describe this other than extremely frustrating. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the male bracket will not fit flatly down so I can screw them all in.

I've looked through youtube videos, forums, diagrams, and the horrible instruction manual..... none seem to address my issue.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Have you tried putting one screw part way in and diagonally switching/criss-crossing to the next one.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/21525-...
Score
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2011 4:44:57 AM

I know this probably isn't helping much, but Cooler Master must really address the issue with their instruction manual for that cooler. I couldn't for the life of me see how to install the cooler on the first run, it actually took three tries for me to successfully fit the cooler to the motherboard. They need to at least issue a "tips and tricks" section in that manual, the first tip being "make sure you have fitted this cooler before, before you attempt to fit it".
Score
March 23, 2011 12:56:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I've looked through them once and am at it again.

Fitting the retention plate is where I have my issue, its like the retention plate is either bent or the adjustable screws for the socket interface aren't aligned properly. When I fit the retention plate between the contact pipes and the heatsink as in those great pictures, I can't screw all of them in. When I screw one in, the opposite side " pops up " to where its impossible to push down without, again, snapping something in half.

I may have to take a picture to show what i'm having issues with.

Score
a c 291 K Overclocking
March 23, 2011 1:01:48 PM

The retention plate and front plate comes for default installation in a 775 SOCKET, keep in mind that, you need change it to AM3 socket.

The screws fill not fit 100% since the cooler need pressure for best performance, don't worry about that it's perfectly normal. Screw the screws with your fingers a little (enough for fit) and then use the screw driver for finish the installation.
Score
March 24, 2011 5:11:28 PM

Figured it out, thanks for all the responses. Its on there nice and solid, won't budge, but I still have a hard time believing its safe to have this thing stand up on its side instead of laying flat, that's alot of weight!

Anyway, thanks again everyone.
Score
March 24, 2011 5:14:33 PM

Best answer selected by anraleth.
Score
a c 291 K Overclocking
March 24, 2011 5:15:34 PM

It's safe, that's the reason of the backplate.
Score
March 24, 2011 5:17:25 PM

Yep! Thank you again, I had left out a small but important step when assembling it, that was the reason for my issue.

should keep my Phenom II X4 970 nice and cool.
Score
a c 291 K Overclocking
March 24, 2011 5:23:41 PM

This topic has been closed by SAINT19
Score
!