Right-clicking all file types slow

Pradat

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Hello,
I am experiencing this problem recently and unexpectedly. No change in the PC (install or anything else). I have already searched for help and have tried to fix via shexview. I have also checked that the problem is not related to network. sfc scannow does not fix the problem. No way.
In fact what is really weird is that the problem occurs sort of "randomly".
Example: I disable all non Microsoft context menu extensions through shexview, then restart the computer. The problem seems to be solved for, let's say some minutes ... I use normally my PC and suddenly the slow right click comes back again. Double click is also very slow. The problem occurs only for files and for any file type.
Since my PC seems to run normally for all other features I am quite reluctant about reinstalling all the stuff!
Help would be welcome

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Run CCleaner or TuneUp utilities to do some cleaning on temps, reg entries, etc. (google them, download and install)
Disable anything that you don't need and isn't vital to Windows from Start>Run. Type msconfig.
Go to Startup and to Services to disable what you don't need.
Also, run a scan with Malwarebytes... :hello:

Pradat

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

Thank you so much, Me 1!

I ran CCleaner. (I must confess that my registry repair tool was a little bit out of date...). Unfortunately, once again I went through this same strange behaviour. When I restarted the PC, after CCleaner, the right click and double click on files were OK! And after a while and some work on the PC the very slow behaviour was here again. Brrrrrr!.
About malware I am quite confident that my system is safe because I am using Kaspersky Internet suite 2011 and I believe that these guys do a fine job (at least until now!).
The last hint you gave me was to go through the tedious tuning via msconfig. Frankly speaking identifying "what you dont need" is just a headacke! And I have gone through this many times in the past without any real benefit...
In any case I am grateful about your help. I suspect that there must be a conflict somewhere in this damned registry.... Or an application which insert a conflicting dll.... But CCleaner did not fix it....
Is CCleaner a top tool for fixing registry problems?
Best regs :hello:

Pradat

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

Thanks Me1
In fact it seems that I was primarily having a hardware problem!!! My home PC just went down yesterday!!! Strange smell! I am now facing a totally different problem: is it the power supply? Is there a problem on the motherboard....a short or whatever....
I will come back to this thread to inform when I will have solved my hardware problem....Should take a while! :(

Pradat

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Hello,

I am back again!

I changed my power supply (the old one was definitely down) and.... everything is back to normal!!! Right clic and double clic are ok

I can hardly figure out how and why the only symptom with a "faulty power supply but still running" was this slow right clic problem.
It might have been a problem with unstable USB, causing random mouse time response??

Anyway for the community I believe it is good to know that this frequently described "slow right clic problem" may ALSO have a hardware origin!!

Thanks for the help
Regs

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Glad to hear it's ok, Pradat ! :hello:
Power supply?!
ah well, why am I wondering?
One of my to-do-laptops touchpad and keyboard only worked with the battery out, can U believe that?
And yes, I can hardly figured out that too, I just took it out because I was mad and ready to take apart things by trial and error! :lol: