Sign in with
Your question

Newbie Overclocking.

Last response: in Overclocking
March 23, 2011 5:32:54 AM

Can Anyone recommend me a site that has a more simple explanation on how to overclock? I tried reading and comprehend everything but, its still confusing and i am a novice. Most of you might say i shouldnt overclock or something but I would really like to learn how. so please.

I have an Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE
Noctua NH-D14
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 ATX AMD Motherboard
GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit

More about : newbie overclocking

March 23, 2011 4:37:42 PM

I dont know how the Bios is set up on your MOBO. But I have my 965 BE at 4.1ghz with voltage at 1.45v. Somewhere in your bios there should be settings for the CPU multiplier and voltage. Every CPU is a little different so like Henydiah said you do this step by step. Go to the multiplier and raise it up 1 at a time and then save and boot. I run some benchmarks and play some games to make sure its stable (3dMark11).

At some point wile raising your multiplier your CPU will not boot( for me at stock voltage it was 4.0ghz). At this point you would start upping the voltage to make it stable and boot again. So in my case I could go higher but dont see a need at this point 4.1ghz on stock air is good for me lol.

Prime 95 is great but a bit overkill I think. I say this because with prime 95 my CPU will hit 63-64c in 5mins. BUT wile gaming I cant get it to go over 50c no matter what I do. I can play crysis or Metro 2033 for a few hours and the highest ive seen is it hit 51c one time. SO going off of prime 95 I would say I need better cooling, wile in real world use im nowhere neer the 60c temp I want to stay under.

I also found (with a tip from someone on these forums :)  ) that I had to raise the North Bridge speed to see real improvements in the benchmarks I was running. There should be a setting for that in your bios as well and it works the same way. Just up the speed and when it wont boot add a little voltage untill its stable. I stopped at 2600mhz.

I also use a program called System Info for Widows. Its cool there is a section that shows all the reading from the sensors in your system. So I boot that up run a few benchmarks play some games and then go back and see the data. It wont graph it out but it will tell you at the end of your tests what the current high and low temps were/are. So after all my tests I can go back look and see for example that after all my tests the CPU temp is at 40c now the low was 35c and the high was 50c. So with a high of 50c after benchmarks and a bunch of gaming I feel safe that im not maxing my CPU to much.

Hope that helps sorry if its a bit long lol
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 4:40:50 PM

cratius said:
Can Anyone recommend me a site that has a more simple explanation on how to overclock? I tried reading and comprehend everything but, its still confusing and i am a novice. Most of you might say i shouldnt overclock or something but I would really like to learn how. so please.

I have an Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE
Noctua NH-D14
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 ATX AMD Motherboard
GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit

I have same Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE and the only thing i did was change the multiplier from 17 to 18 with the stock heat sink at first. That goes from 3.4 to 3.6. If i touched the buss speed it would run to hot. It would run up to 70c+ with prime95 running. I got an after market heat sink for 35 bucks from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 and moved the bus speed auto up 8% overclock profile which is 200 to 216 MHz if you enter it by hand. That put it at 3888MHz running at 45c. Stock heat sink was at 65c at normal 3.4. I am lazy and I could go higher but this is done with a asuz board running with auto voltage an nothing disable like quite and cool. So you could go higher if your in to setting voltages and other things by hand. But bus 216 MHz * 18 multiplier at 3888 MHz =3.9 is fine by me and beats 17 * 200 at 3.4 stock. It would lock up under prime 95 at 10% =220 buss or 19 multiplier with auto setting on. This is the easy way to over clock with out risking damage or in depth research.
m
l
March 23, 2011 4:42:22 PM

Also your airflow in your case matters alot. Im at my OC with stock air however I have a CM HAF 922. So I have a 200mm intake fan and 200mm and 120mm exhaust fans. With a after market 120mm side fan blowing on the stock CPU cooler. So if you have a smaller case with less fans you might very well need better cooling to get that sort of clock or you may not :) 
m
l
March 23, 2011 4:45:05 PM

fuzzyplankton said:
I have same Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE and the only thing i did was change the multiplier from 17 to 18 with the stock heat sink at first. That goes from 3.4 to 3.6. If i touched the buss speed it would run to hot. It would run up to 70c+ with prime95 running. I got an after market heat sink for 35 bucks from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 and moved the bus speed auto up 8% overclock profile which is 200 to 216 MHz if you enter it by hand. That put it at 3888MHz running at 45c. Stock heat sink was at 65c at normal 3.4. I am lazy and I could go higher but this is done with a asuz board running with auto voltage an nothing disable like quite and cool. So you could go higher if your in to setting voltages and other things by hand. But bus 216 MHz * 18 multiplier at 3888 MHz =3.9 is fine by me and beats 17 * 200 at 3.4 stock. It would lock up under prime 95 at 10% =220 buss or 19 multiplier with auto setting on. This is the easy way to over clock with out risking damage or in depth research.

Did you try to leave the bus alone and just raise the multiplier up to 19.5? When I first OC my 965 I did that and It booted fine without touching the bus.
m
l
March 23, 2011 5:00:02 PM

cburke82 said:
Did you try to leave the bus alone and just raise the multiplier up to 19.5? When I first OC my 965 I did that and It booted fine without touching the bus.

I can boot and run windows and play most games at higher multiplier but get random blue screens and restart in some 3d like Battle field 2 bad company 2 so i used prime 95 for a hour to see if it locked up. At high speed the system runs normal 99% of the time. But prime 95 will let you know if its 100% stable. I have seen with over clocking that as you go higher first high end 3D games lock up first, then windows wont load, then system wont boot the faster you go with out voltage adjustment. So I looked for 100% stable with auto voltage and quite and cool running cause I lazy and my system running all the time and i dont mind running it down clocking 700mhz at night download torrents and watch movies. Oh and i uses Cpu-z to see my specs. Windows wont show bus speed change only multiplier changes.
m
l
March 23, 2011 6:27:10 PM

fuzzyplankton said:
I can boot and run windows and play most games at higher multiplier but get random blue screens and restart in some 3d like Battle field 2 bad company 2 so i used prime 95 for a hour to see if it locked up. At high speed the system runs normal 99% of the time. But prime 95 will let you know if its 100% stable. I have seen with over clocking that as you go higher first high end 3D games lock up first, then windows wont load, then system wont boot the faster you go with out voltage adjustment. So I looked for 100% stable with auto voltage and quite and cool running cause I lazy and my system running all the time and i dont mind running it down clocking 700mhz at night download torrents and watch movies. Oh and i uses Cpu-z to see my specs. Windows wont show bus speed change only multiplier changes.

Yeah I was using something called System Info for Windows and the funny thing is befor I got the BE CPU when I was OCing with the bus that program would show the OC and windows would not lol. Now im only changing the multiplier and windows will show the OC and the other program wont. So I started using CPU-Z also :)  I guess I got a good CPU for over clocking I dont feel the need to push it but i\I had it at a stable 4.2 if I got an aftermarket cooler I could go further I think.
m
l
!