PC POWERING OFF

iniquity

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Hello everyone,

Here is the issue. For sometime now my PC has been powering off for no apparent reason. My first thought was that the power supply was shorting and my next guess was to see if the CPU was over heating. Here was my troubleshooting process:

Removed CPU and fan
Turned on PC

After turning the PC on the power supply remained on and did not shut off as usual. So that lead me to believe that the Fan/CPU was overheating or burnt out. I replace both the CPU and Fan. However, this has not fixed anything and I am still have this problem. If anyone gives me a suggestion that works I will truly be amazed at this point.

Thanks

Solution
Or drivers. Or setup. Or the phase of the moon. Well, not the last.

Exactly what are you doing when it happens? Is it truly random? Does it only happen when the system is under a heavy 3D load such as gaming?

Inquiring minds what to know. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It could be the power supply or graphics card overheating. I think you should put a little more effort into diagnostics before buying new parts, unless your goal is to build a complete second system from the spares.

Or drivers. Or setup. Or the phase of the moon. Well, not the last.

Exactly what are you doing when it happens? Is it truly random? Does it only happen when the system is under a heavy 3D load such as gaming?

Inquiring minds what to know. :)

Solution

iniquity

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
OK, so it appears to be working again, I put in a new CPU/FAN and really railed that fan down and it seems to be stable at the moment.

For the record... it pretty much shut off seconds after I had turned it on for no specific reason. My best guess is that the old fan was not seated right and the CPU was overheating.

iniquity

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks to all who answered this question. I replaced the CPU and fan. This seems to have worked since my machine is stable and running perfectly at the moment without and problems.

I was not sure if I really needed to replace the CPU or not but figured I would do it anyway instead of just buying a fan since new CPU's come with a fan anyway.