Careers

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 26, 2005 4:53:18 PM

Where do you put new downloaded careers in sims2?

More about : careers

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:28:30 PM

Ron wrote:
> Where do you put new downloaded careers in sims2?

I think they must go into the downloads folder. I haven't downloaded any,
but I managed to get one that came along with a downloaded house. The Adult
Industry career field?!? I'd like to know how to locate it and get rid of
it. I'm thinking about buying University in a week or two (just for that
diagonal cheat if nothing else) and new careers cause mucho problems with
it, I understand.

Jeanie
April 26, 2005 8:42:30 PM

Try using sims2pack clean installer. You can get it at MTS(mod the sims)
http://www.modthesims2.com/
it lists everything in your downloads folder and hacks are highlighted in
red. It also prevents installing houses with hacks that you are not aware of
and don't want by giving you the option to not install the hacks that
sometimes come with houses.
news:o _tbe.16813$WI3.7905@attbi_s71...
> Ron wrote:
>> Where do you put new downloaded careers in sims2?
>
> I think they must go into the downloads folder. I haven't downloaded any,
> but I managed to get one that came along with a downloaded house. The
> Adult
> Industry career field?!? I'd like to know how to locate it and get rid of
> it. I'm thinking about buying University in a week or two (just for that
> diagonal cheat if nothing else) and new careers cause mucho problems with
> it, I understand.
>
> Jeanie

April 26, 2005 11:35:12 PM

in My Downloads - be careful if you do put it in as the careers caused no
end of problems with the University EP. Make sure the career you have is
updated to work with the expansion pack. Personally, I'd keep a note of the
file names somewhere so that you can get rid of it if you want to (I *think*
you can put the career files in a sub-folder in My Downloads on their own
which would make things a lot easier although I suspect any clothing files
that come with it will need to be in My Downloads only). If you need to get
rid of it but haven't taken this precaution, you can use Clean Installer to
try and find it. Look carefully though because not all the files show up as
hacks.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Ron" <rshavis1@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Where do you put new downloaded careers in sims2?

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:23:17 AM

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in

> I *think*
> you can put the career files in a sub-folder in My Downloads on
> their own which would make things a lot easier although I suspect
> any clothing files that come with it will need to be in My
> Downloads only).

Both careers and clothing can go in subfolders.

--
Mike
Abba...Dabba...Goo!

You mean career clothing, yes? For most people ordinary clothing won't go
in a sub-folder.

Anyway, if you can do that with the careers it makes them much easier to
remove as all you need to do is remove the folder with the career files in
it. Do you know what happens if you remove a career hack but one of your
sims is on that career? I've heard vague rumours of file corruption. Maxis
has designed the game so that it updates all affected files when you delete
something (like an item of clothing say - your sim will default back to
Maxis clothing) but ONLY when you delete from within the game (or Bodyshop
or Homecrafter). Deleting manually means the files (sim files in this case)
aren't updated.

As you may guess, I'm not mad keen on using cheats and hacks and as far as I
was concerned the career hacks might as well have come with a label reading
"trouble down the line". It was absolutely obvious when the game came out
that Maxis were going to do more with the careers. So the first EP arrived
and extended the range of careers available and changed the coding for how
the careers worked and, as a result, the career hacks caused more grief than
anything else when people were installing.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in
>
> > I *think*
> > you can put the career files in a sub-folder in My Downloads on
> > their own which would make things a lot easier although I suspect
> > any clothing files that come with it will need to be in My
> > Downloads only).
>
> Both careers and clothing can go in subfolders.
>
> --
> Mike
> Abba...Dabba...Goo!
> -- Pebbles' first words.

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:42:11 PM

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in
news:D zNbe.8372$5A3.1653@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

> You mean career clothing, yes? For most people ordinary clothing
> won't go in a sub-folder.

And yet I've had no problem with putting ordinary clothing in a sub-
folder.

> Anyway, if you can do that with the careers it makes them much
> easier to remove as all you need to do is remove the folder with
> the career files in it. Do you know what happens if you remove a
> career hack but one of your sims is on that career? I've heard
> vague rumours of file corruption. Maxis has designed the game so
> that it updates all affected files when you delete something (like
> an item of clothing say - your sim will default back to Maxis
> clothing) but ONLY when you delete from within the game (or
> Bodyshop or Homecrafter). Deleting manually means the files (sim
> files in this case) aren't updated.

I downloaded the hacked X-files career just to see what it was about.
it was interesting, but unbalanced (beginning salary level of 1500?)
and the descriptions and chance cards were annoying (way too long).
So I manually deleted it. Restarted the game and both sims who were
previously xfiles empoyees were now simply unemployed.

> As you may guess, I'm not mad keen on using cheats and hacks and
> as far as I was concerned the career hacks might as well have come
> with a label reading "trouble down the line". It was absolutely
> obvious when the game came out that Maxis were going to do more
> with the careers. So the first EP arrived and extended the range
> of careers available and changed the coding for how the careers
> worked and, as a result, the career hacks caused more grief than
> anything else when people were installing.

They caused me a little grief, but I got over it. I fixed the
problems I had (I had neglected to move a couple of careers that had
odd file names into the sub-folder). After the fix, so far, no
problems...though I suspect that will change.

The primary problem I've had is that occasionally carpools just
didn't show up. However, I've also seen posts by people who had no
hacked careers with the same problem. One post suggested deleting
any hacked buyable cars, but I don't have any, so I was at a loss.
I've yet to experience this problem again - after putting the odd-
named career files into my careers sub-folder - but as I said, I'm
not holding my breath.

--
Mike
Abba...Dabba...Goo!

The career I downloaded is a modeling career and so far it's pretty nice. I
think the person(s) who developed this one did it right. I have it in a sub
folder called careers and so far I really like it.
http://www.freewebs.com/sims2careercenter/index.htm
There will be more added.
> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in
> news:D zNbe.8372$5A3.1653@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:
>
>> You mean career clothing, yes? For most people ordinary clothing
>> won't go in a sub-folder.
>
> And yet I've had no problem with putting ordinary clothing in a sub-
> folder.
>>
>> Anyway, if you can do that with the careers it makes them much
>> easier to remove as all you need to do is remove the folder with
>> the career files in it. Do you know what happens if you remove a
>> career hack but one of your sims is on that career? I've heard
>> vague rumours of file corruption. Maxis has designed the game so
>> that it updates all affected files when you delete something (like
>> an item of clothing say - your sim will default back to Maxis
>> clothing) but ONLY when you delete from within the game (or
>> Bodyshop or Homecrafter). Deleting manually means the files (sim
>> files in this case) aren't updated.
>
> I downloaded the hacked X-files career just to see what it was about.
> it was interesting, but unbalanced (beginning salary level of 1500?)
> and the descriptions and chance cards were annoying (way too long).
> So I manually deleted it. Restarted the game and both sims who were
> previously xfiles empoyees were now simply unemployed.
>>
>> As you may guess, I'm not mad keen on using cheats and hacks and
>> as far as I was concerned the career hacks might as well have come
>> with a label reading "trouble down the line". It was absolutely
>> obvious when the game came out that Maxis were going to do more
>> with the careers. So the first EP arrived and extended the range
>> of careers available and changed the coding for how the careers
>> worked and, as a result, the career hacks caused more grief than
>> anything else when people were installing.
>>
> They caused me a little grief, but I got over it. I fixed the
> problems I had (I had neglected to move a couple of careers that had
> odd file names into the sub-folder). After the fix, so far, no
> problems...though I suspect that will change.
>
> The primary problem I've had is that occasionally carpools just
> didn't show up. However, I've also seen posts by people who had no
> hacked careers with the same problem. One post suggested deleting
> any hacked buyable cars, but I don't have any, so I was at a loss.
> I've yet to experience this problem again - after putting the odd-
> named career files into my careers sub-folder - but as I said, I'm
> not holding my breath.
>
> --
> Mike
> Abba...Dabba...Goo!
> -- Pebbles' first words.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:51:07 PM

"Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in
> news:D zNbe.8372$5A3.1653@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:
>
> > You mean career clothing, yes? For most people ordinary clothing
> > won't go in a sub-folder.
>
> And yet I've had no problem with putting ordinary clothing in a sub-
> folder.

Yeh - well I think the key phrase here is 'most people'. It does seem to
depend on your system. It certainly varies - you're not the first person
I've come across who can sort their Downloads folder with sub-folders for
skins, nude skins, make up, hair and so on but most people can't.

> > Anyway, if you can do that with the careers it makes them much
> > easier to remove as all you need to do is remove the folder with
> > the career files in it. Do you know what happens if you remove a
> > career hack but one of your sims is on that career? I've heard
> > vague rumours of file corruption. Maxis has designed the game so
> > that it updates all affected files when you delete something (like
> > an item of clothing say - your sim will default back to Maxis
> > clothing) but ONLY when you delete from within the game (or
> > Bodyshop or Homecrafter). Deleting manually means the files (sim
> > files in this case) aren't updated.
>
> I downloaded the hacked X-files career just to see what it was about.
> it was interesting, but unbalanced (beginning salary level of 1500?)
> and the descriptions and chance cards were annoying (way too long).
> So I manually deleted it. Restarted the game and both sims who were
> previously xfiles empoyees were now simply unemployed.

OK - good, that's interesting, thanks for letting us know.

> > As you may guess, I'm not mad keen on using cheats and hacks and
> > as far as I was concerned the career hacks might as well have come
> > with a label reading "trouble down the line". It was absolutely
> > obvious when the game came out that Maxis were going to do more
> > with the careers. So the first EP arrived and extended the range
> > of careers available and changed the coding for how the careers
> > worked and, as a result, the career hacks caused more grief than
> > anything else when people were installing.
> >
> They caused me a little grief, but I got over it. I fixed the
> problems I had (I had neglected to move a couple of careers that had
> odd file names into the sub-folder). After the fix, so far, no
> problems...though I suspect that will change.

I can't say I was too interested in the careers myself but I own a Yahoo
group (and am a member and mod of many others) and my main grief with them
was all the people who did have problems and who kept (and keep) asking for
help with their installation problems. If I've typed 'first of all remove
any hacks, especially career hacks, from your game' once, I must have typed
it a thousand times. The irritating thing is that once they've done this,
90% of the time the subsequent installation has been bug free. Ah well.

> The primary problem I've had is that occasionally carpools just
> didn't show up. However, I've also seen posts by people who had no
> hacked careers with the same problem. One post suggested deleting
> any hacked buyable cars, but I don't have any, so I was at a loss.
> I've yet to experience this problem again - after putting the odd-
> named career files into my careers sub-folder - but as I said, I'm
> not holding my breath.

Yeah I think the carpool thing is an occasional bug - I've seen a good
number of reports of that. I don't know if someone at Mod the Sims 2 has
done any work on it but it might be worth a look - or JM Pescado (Various
Simmers), he's pretty good at hacks and fixing problems.

Best wishes
Maxon

> --
> Mike
> Abba...Dabba...Goo!
> -- Pebbles' first words.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:32:47 AM

> "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in
>> news:D zNbe.8372$5A3.1653@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:
>>
>> > You mean career clothing, yes? For most people ordinary
>> > clothing won't go in a sub-folder.
>>
>> And yet I've had no problem with putting ordinary clothing in a
>> sub- folder.
>
> Yeh - well I think the key phrase here is 'most people'. It does
> seem to depend on your system. It certainly varies - you're not
> the first person I've come across who can sort their Downloads
> folder with sub-folders for skins, nude skins, make up, hair and
> so on but most people can't.

Could be my system. I've recently upgraded to a (relatively) monster
machine.

>> > Anyway, if you can do that with the careers it makes them much
>> > easier to remove as all you need to do is remove the folder
>> > with the career files in it. Do you know what happens if you
>> > remove a career hack but one of your sims is on that career?
>> > I've heard vague rumours of file corruption. Maxis has
>> > designed the game so that it updates all affected files when
>> > you delete something (like an item of clothing say - your sim
>> > will default back to Maxis clothing) but ONLY when you delete
>> > from within the game (or Bodyshop or Homecrafter). Deleting
>> > manually means the files (sim files in this case) aren't
>> > updated.
>>
>> I downloaded the hacked X-files career just to see what it was
>> about. it was interesting, but unbalanced (beginning salary level
>> of 1500?) and the descriptions and chance cards were annoying
>> (way too long). So I manually deleted it. Restarted the game and
>> both sims who were previously xfiles empoyees were now simply
>> unemployed.
>
> OK - good, that's interesting, thanks for letting us know.

Of course, it may be different for different systems :)

>> > As you may guess, I'm not mad keen on using cheats and hacks
>> > and as far as I was concerned the career hacks might as well
>> > have come with a label reading "trouble down the line". It was
>> > absolutely obvious when the game came out that Maxis were going
>> > to do more with the careers. So the first EP arrived and
>> > extended the range of careers available and changed the coding
>> > for how the careers worked and, as a result, the career hacks
>> > caused more grief than anything else when people were
>> > installing.
>> >
>> They caused me a little grief, but I got over it. I fixed the
>> problems I had (I had neglected to move a couple of careers that
>> had odd file names into the sub-folder). After the fix, so far,
>> no problems...though I suspect that will change.
>
> I can't say I was too interested in the careers myself but I own a
> Yahoo group (and am a member and mod of many others) and my main
> grief with them was all the people who did have problems and who
> kept (and keep) asking for help with their installation problems.
> If I've typed 'first of all remove any hacks, especially career
> hacks, from your game' once, I must have typed it a thousand
> times. The irritating thing is that once they've done this, 90%
> of the time the subsequent installation has been bug free. Ah
> well.

The only problem with hacks (thus far) that I've had was that I
installed several before installing the Maxis patch. After
installing the patch, the game would simply crash before it got to
the neighborhood screen. I had to move all my hacks /and/ downloaded
objects (yes, nearly 2000 files) out of my downloads folder and move
them in again in chunks, then painstakingly start the game after each
move to see if it would work. Wouldn't you know I found the problem
file in the last batch...and it was a custom career.

>> The primary problem I've had is that occasionally carpools just
>> didn't show up. However, I've also seen posts by people who had
>> no hacked careers with the same problem. One post suggested
>> deleting any hacked buyable cars, but I don't have any, so I was
>> at a loss. I've yet to experience this problem again - after
>> putting the odd- named career files into my careers sub-folder -
>> but as I said, I'm not holding my breath.
>>
> Yeah I think the carpool thing is an occasional bug - I've seen a
> good number of reports of that. I don't know if someone at Mod
> the Sims 2 has done any work on it but it might be worth a look -
> or JM Pescado (Various Simmers), he's pretty good at hacks and
> fixing problems.

Yes, MST2 was my first stop...and always is. Excellent site, but no
fix for the occasional "no carpool" bug...though since installing the
Maxis patch and reinstalling all my downloads I've not had that
problem again...yet.

--
Mike
"If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an

> >> And yet I've had no problem with putting ordinary clothing in a
> >> sub- folder.
> >
> > Yeh - well I think the key phrase here is 'most people'. It does
> > seem to depend on your system. It certainly varies - you're not
> > the first person I've come across who can sort their Downloads
> > folder with sub-folders for skins, nude skins, make up, hair and
> > so on but most people can't.
>
> Could be my system. I've recently upgraded to a (relatively) monster
> machine.

Yes - it does seem the more memory your system has the better but also the
processing power affects performance. I have 1GB RAM and a fairly good
video card with plenty of memory but a relatively small processor (as my
current computer is quite 'old'). I can't put skins in subfolders though I
have no problems running the game. It must be to do with the way the game
handles the files in the computers available memory whilst running, I think,
and that changes depending on the system. Basically, the more computer you
have the better things seem to go.

> >> I downloaded the hacked X-files career just to see what it was
> >> about. it was interesting, but unbalanced (beginning salary level
> >> of 1500?) and the descriptions and chance cards were annoying
> >> (way too long). So I manually deleted it. Restarted the game and
> >> both sims who were previously xfiles empoyees were now simply
> >> unemployed.
> >
> > OK - good, that's interesting, thanks for letting us know.
>
> Of course, it may be different for different systems :)

Certainly that could be the case but the way the game updates the game files
seems to be fairly consistent from one set up to another. Mind you, Granny
has just reported that when she removed her Downloads folder and then tried
to open a lot which was using custom content, her game crashed. So perhaps
not.

<snip>
> The only problem with hacks (thus far) that I've had was that I
> installed several before installing the Maxis patch. After
> installing the patch, the game would simply crash before it got to
> the neighborhood screen. I had to move all my hacks /and/ downloaded
> objects (yes, nearly 2000 files) out of my downloads folder and move
> them in again in chunks, then painstakingly start the game after each
> move to see if it would work. Wouldn't you know I found the problem
> file in the last batch...and it was a custom career.

Yes - exactly - and it's always in the last batch.

<snip>
> > Yeah I think the carpool thing is an occasional bug - I've seen a
> > good number of reports of that. I don't know if someone at Mod
> > the Sims 2 has done any work on it but it might be worth a look -
> > or JM Pescado (Various Simmers), he's pretty good at hacks and
> > fixing problems.
> >
> Yes, MST2 was my first stop...and always is. Excellent site, but no
> fix for the occasional "no carpool" bug...though since installing the
> Maxis patch and reinstalling all my downloads I've not had that
> problem again...yet.

The specification for the patch doesn't mention that but they might not have
listed everything they did with it. If you've recently upgraded your system
though that might be why you are having less trouble with corruption
issues - your computer is simply handling the game better. Do you know, I'm
sure I've seen *something* about the carpool problem somewhere - damned if I
can remember where though.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:29:58 AM

> Do you know, I'm
> sure I've seen *something* about the carpool problem somewhere -
> damned if I can remember where though.

Odd thing happened today. One of my teen sims grew up and moved out.
I built him a nice little starter home and he moved in. He had a job
in the business career (not hacked) as a teen and of course was
promoted when he became an adult. Well, the first day of work, his
carpool never showed /and/ he didn't get a call warning him about
missing work. Next day same thing. So I had him quit that job and
find a new one. Same thing. So I moved him and the lot into the L&H
bin and moved him to a new location. Same problem. Quit TS2.

Opened SimPE and opened this neighborhood and then the sim browser.
The guy's name is Kellen Paradis. Not in the neighborhood according
to SimPE. I mean, I just finished playing the guy, but according to
SimPE there ain't no such dude. The family he left is there and
intact and I've not had one iota of trouble out of any of them...and
it's a huge family (Kellen is the oldest of seven children). No
missing carpools, but more importantly, they actually (well,
virtually speaking) exist.

Now I have no idea what the heck to do with him...er...I mean...if he
actually exists. Could he be a virtual shadow of a virtual character
in a virtual world? Is this virtually nuts or what?

--
Mike
When you want to test the depths of a stream, don't use both feet.

> Odd thing happened today. One of my teen sims grew up and moved out.
> I built him a nice little starter home and he moved in. He had a job
> in the business career (not hacked) as a teen and of course was
> promoted when he became an adult. Well, the first day of work, his
> carpool never showed /and/ he didn't get a call warning him about
> missing work. Next day same thing. So I had him quit that job and
> find a new one. Same thing. So I moved him and the lot into the L&H
> bin and moved him to a new location. Same problem. Quit TS2.
>
> Opened SimPE and opened this neighborhood and then the sim browser.
> The guy's name is Kellen Paradis. Not in the neighborhood according
> to SimPE. I mean, I just finished playing the guy, but according to
> SimPE there ain't no such dude. The family he left is there and
> intact and I've not had one iota of trouble out of any of them...and
> it's a huge family (Kellen is the oldest of seven children). No
> missing carpools, but more importantly, they actually (well,
> virtually speaking) exist.
>
> Now I have no idea what the heck to do with him...er...I mean...if he
> actually exists. Could he be a virtual shadow of a virtual character
> in a virtual world? Is this virtually nuts or what?

Do his family members still have him in their memories? If they do, he's
still in the game, at least partly.

Jeanie
!