Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I clean install windows 7 OEM?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 23, 2011 5:46:33 AM

I want to clean install windows 7, I have the oem version.
Am I allowed to do that with the oem version?
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2011 5:56:44 AM

If you're going to install it on the platform the manufacturer made it for, it will work. In any other circumstances, it will almost certainly fail and it can, of course, only be in use on one machine at a time.

Score
September 23, 2011 5:59:46 AM

^+1. you can only use it with the model that it came with

edit- sorry, misunderstood. you CAN use an oem copy the you bought.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 23, 2011 6:04:33 AM

Yes, you can use the OEM version to do a clean install. And you should be able to install it on any machine. But according to the license terms once it's been installed and activated on one machine you're not allowed to install it on any other machine.

That doesn't preclude reinstalling it on the same machine again, though - clean or otherwise.
September 23, 2011 6:54:02 AM

Best answer selected by -Sylvan.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2011 8:18:39 AM

sminlal said:
Yes, you can use the OEM version to do a clean install. And you should be able to install it on any machine.

I think some clarification might help here - there are OEM disks provided by manufacturers with computers at point of sale - albeit a rarity - and there are OEM disks builders can buy cheaply.

I've tried using both in the past and particularly with the first category, have come across serious driver issues - unresolvable because the system fails to start with the drivers the CD provided. I've even known it to fall over when, say, a Dell disk was used on a different Dell system. As the OP would have been lucky to get a CD with an OEM machine when he bought it, it's safe to assume he's bought a disk separately so needs to be certain it doesn't come bundled with drivers.

Score
September 23, 2011 9:39:31 AM

Saga Lout said:

I think some clarification might help here - there are OEM disks provided by manufacturers with computers at point of sale - albeit a rarity - and there are OEM disks builders can buy cheaply.

I've tried using both in the past and particularly with the first category, have come across serious driver issues - unresolvable because the system fails to start with the drivers the CD provided. I've even known it to fall over when, say, a Dell disk was used on a different Dell system. As the OP would have been lucky to get a CD with an OEM machine when he bought it, it's safe to assume he's bought a disk separately so needs to be certain it doesn't come bundled with drivers.

Bought Windows 7 OEM separately, I built my own computer.

I installed W7 yesterday and today decided I needed to start again (I made a mess with some system files), so wanted to know if I could reinstall.

I was able to clean install windows on my HDD without any problems, thanks for the help guys.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 8:54:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!