Thermal Heating Problem

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello, my eMachines T5088 is starting to instantly shutdown due to Overheating. I'm not sure what exactly causes it but I figured I may as well UPGRADE since its possibly a motherboard situation. I just need to know what type of motherboard I could put into this eMachines T5088. Thanks.

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I belive the fan is spinning, atleast it sure sounds like it is spinning. So I have a 'Micro-ATX' case then so the motherboards I need to BUY is a Micro-ATX ?

I will confirm on if the fan is spinning tomorrow. I wanted to give the CPU some rest until tomorrow so it doesnt shut down so fast.

Yes. Unless of course you replace the case as well.

How do you know it's a heat issue?

You may be hearing the power supply fan, not the CPU fan.

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I know its an overheat issue because the computer will just shut off. When I turn the computer back on it beeps a few times then said the computer shutdown because of a thermal issue (overheating) Press enter to continue.

So, I did a little reading and it says its usually the motherboard? So thats why if thats the cause I figured I'd just by a newer motherboard and processor to upgrade. Is that recommended course of action? I just need to find something that will run the computer on for 5 days in a row just for Forex charts.

Tomorrow I will turn the computer on with side removed to see if all fans are operating correctly.

Thanks again for reply

Matt

Have you blown out the dust?

I have no problem with upgrading your board, certainly. You may need some new RAM as well though. All depends on your budget and usage. If it's just a light office work machine, it can be fairly inexpensive.

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
About blowing out the dust. I had cleaned it about 2 weeks ago when I first experienced this problem. Then it ran well for a solid week, but since then it now does it after about an uptime of 3-4 hours and then repeats about 10-15 mins unless I leave it alone for the day.

That sounds much more like a PSU problem.

CPUs cool off almost instantly when shut down. PSUs, because of the large metal parts they contain, can take many hours to cool down and many hours to warm up.

Yet, your board is giving the error... I suppose your PSU might have a temp sensor in it, although I wouldn't expect an eMachine to have such a deluxe feature.

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
PSU = Power Supply Unit . I doubt this has that deluxe feature as well since it was only a couple hundred dollars from BestBuy.

Guess I will use my laptop until I decide what to do. I kinda would like to build my next CPU since I have yet to do that. Thats why I thought about the 'Upgrading' but it seems like it may just be time to start fresh.

Thanks

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello again, So I took off the side panel and started to computer up. The fan on the motherboard is the only one which did not immediatly spin. Then it came on and has since went back off.

The PSU fan is spinning and a fan mounted on the back is also spinning, I'm leaving the computer on too see if the Processor fan begins to spin after being on for a while.

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello, Well after about being on for 10 minutes it began spinning.
However, I'm feeling a lot of heat coming off of the motherboard area. First time computer has been on in almost 24 hours and its been only 10 mins. It shouldn't be putting off hot air that fast?

fxcatty

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hi again!

Well as bad as it sounds I kept putting off getting my desktop back running since I have a Laptop and never got around to it because I'm a little confused on what to actually buy.

It previously had a Intel cpu so does that mean I need to buy another board with an Intel?

I'd like to get a Dual Core AMD cpu + motherboard.

The problem I am having is that I dont know what Im looking at in terms of Newegg. I don't want to have to buy NEW memory which works with this mother board, so what would I need to get?

Anyway someone could make me a shopping list with a CPU + Motherboard combo?

thanks.
Matt