How can i keep this card cool?

Velvundrgnd

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I just got a SLI setup and I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the second 9800GTX+ cool. It's right up against the wall of my case, so it tends to get much too hot (75 in crysis after 45min of playing).

Does anyone have any suggestions aside from "buy a new case" or "aftermarket cooler"? I realize that it might come to that, but I need to examine all my options before I spend another 300 bucks on my PC.

PS: I have already set my fan to 100% in the control panel

Oh and here's a link to a pic of my situation:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/xGoHawks/Photo4.jpg

Hehe looking at that baffle plate, my first thought was it looked like a bagle being toasted on both sides, ie, psu and vid card.

Presumably, removing the two slot protectors didn't do anything. You've got to get some air movement going past that card and ideally out of the case. And while I doubt putting anything "above" the vid card will help much, if you have a spare fan hanging around you can try rigging it temporarily at the end of the vid card pointing at an angle at the middle of the vid card, and bouncing from there to the the 2 open card slots. Long shot, but if it works, terrific.

More likely you need air flow between the vid card and the baffle. If there is a fan out-of-scene on the right side of your picture, clear the wiring and anything else you can out of its way. Build a new baffle so the fan can "only" exhaust from or (more likely) blow into the space between the card and the baffle. A piece of stiff paper or cardboard will work to deflect the air flow for a test.

If that helps . . . the next step would be to figure out how to mount such an arrangement more permanently. Modeler's plastic sheets, eg.

Simplest is (as mousemonkey says) remove the baffle plate and test that. The PSU fan should do something, though perhaps to the detriment of the psu.

If you can't remove it, the last step is to cut into it in some way that gets air going into or out of that area.

Good luck.

Velvundrgnd

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
If I were to get an after cooler, what would you guys recommend?

Oh, and it's right around 76 for games like Crysis, in your opinion, is that too high?