Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 760 3.8ghz to 4ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
March 23, 2011 5:01:14 PM

My processor is currently overclocked to 3.8ghz and stable but when i try to overclock to 4ghz it blue screens on boot. The only thing i changed to get from 3.8 to 4 was the BCLK to 200 and voltage to 1.29 and i tried 1.3. Another thing is when i change to 1.32v or something it highlights in purple, does that mean i shouldn't be using that volt?

My bios settings here, what do i need to change to get 4ghz?

Thanks.

More about : 760 8ghz 4ghz

March 25, 2011 12:18:52 PM

Someone must have an idea how to do this :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 12:39:02 PM

Your O.C.ing the CPU only right?

It is possible you may have hit the limitations of how far your chip can go.

I'm not familair with your mobo but i'm guessing your mobo is highlighting the voltage in purple because it's to high.Most mobo's will highlight a unsafe voltage.You can use that voltage as long as you have good cooling but the mobo is just saying it might be unsafe or unstable.

I've been reading around and i've seen people having the voltage as high as 1.4.You might be getting a blue screen when you boot because you don't have enough voltage.Try increasing the voltage some more but make sure you have good cooling.

What coolor do you have?
Related resources
March 25, 2011 12:43:42 PM

Ive got the cpu at 4.2ghz now by changing the bclk to 200, voltage to 1.384 cpuz idle and the multi is on auto so it goes to 21. My mobo is an asus p7h55-m, not sure if this OC is stable or even safe to keep at because of the purple highlighted voltage in my bios
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 12:58:22 PM

You know when you O.C. you reduce the lifespan?

What are your temps at right now with those settings?

In my experience the highlighted setting is just the BIOS software warning you that your entering the maximum voltage your CPU is allowed to withstand without causing damage.Of course the higher the voltage the shorter the lifespan of the chip will be.If you know this and aren't worried about it you can increase the voltage as much as you have suffient cooling.
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:01:30 PM

purple stank said:
You know when you O.C. you reduce the lifespan?

What are your temps at right now with those settings?

In my experience the highlighted setting is just the BIOS software warning you that your entering the maximum voltage your CPU is allowed to withstand without causing damage.Of course the higher the voltage the shorter the lifespan of the chip will be.If you know this and aren't worried about it you can increase the voltage as much as you have suffient cooling.

Yea i know OCing reduces lifespan, my cpu was at 44c (Usually 40c @ 3.8ghz) idle but it blue screened after 5 minutes on the desktop, im back to 3.8ghz now i might just stay with this.

Cheers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 1:50:14 PM

Yeah you more than likely reached the limiations of that chip.Unless you use a serious amount of voltage you won't be able to be stable at 4ghz.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 3:36:06 PM

Dude, please please go read some guides.

First off, take the multiplier off auto. You should have up to 22x available to you.

Also with turbo turned off (if it's still on, it's definitely going to cause problems at that high baseclock) you should turn Load Line Calibration on. Your voltage won't drop under load so you can set it properly.

You also need to manually tweak your IMC voltage. For 4ghz you'll probably need at least 1.2V IMC and 1.3V Vcore (LLC enabled).

Doing is better than reading about it, so I applaud your effort, but please go read some guides so you don't blow it up. I mean if you think idle temps mean anything, or that the only sign of being unstable was it BSOD'd at desktop then you need to learn more. Stability testing is VITAL if you overclock. Prime 95, Intel Burn Test, OCCT, LinX... there's a lot of programs for it. And you absolutely need to monitor your temps.
m
l
April 3, 2011 4:01:01 AM

Best answer selected by MadCatz900.
m
l
!