Interconnect Bridge Cable needed?

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hello everyone, This is my first thread so please be patient with me.
I bought a Gateway FX6800 0ie pc with ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. I intend to add anohter card and use crossfire. Do i need to get an interconnect bridge cable? Or do i just placed the second card in the available PCIE x 16 slot without the cable? I heard read on some site that the gateway FX6800 series motherboard is crossfire compatible. Does that mean no cable needed?
thank you

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The retail box says it doesnt come with the interconnect bridge. I asked Geek squad and they told me they never heard of it.

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
What is even the purpose of getting into a hassle of crossfiring or sli dual video cards when i can get a single more powerful card with less chances of overheating my pc? I just dont get it.

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008

acturly that "single more powerfull" card can be eaten by a SLI/crossfire system, basicly if you can use ethoir do so, as two HD4890s performe as well as if not better than a GTX295 and are cheaper.

you will notice these people who game on big montoirs and stuff do it, its for extra performace, as for overheating the PC, it depends on the graphics card cooler most just push the air out the vents at the back anyway so in a case with no circaltion the only thing thats going to suffer is the cards themselfs.

I state this again, if the graphics card comes as a retial package its more than likey to have a bridge connector, as for tech guys....yeah they wouldn't do :p

I have like 3 of the damm crossfire birdges lol :p if you don't get one easy enough to get. for very little $$$

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
OK. I am going to best buy to get the card today. So, the cable is a must to connect the cards together even if my motherboard is crossfire ready right?

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
yes.

a little note, if you look at the manufaor or brand your card is from it will tell you what they inculde in the package.

Looking a bit further, if this is true:

ATI Radeon HD 4850 System Requirements
o PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
o 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
o Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
o Minimum 1GB of system memory
o Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
o DVD playback requires DVD drive
o Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
o For a complete ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX™ Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX™ Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card are required

Then you're wanting a 550W psu.

If I have your PC model number correct (Gateway® FX6800-01e), your psu spec reads like this:

"Note 11. Power supply can support 500W power (peak) on normal usage in some conditions."

Crossfire isn't likely to work on your box - ask Gateway to be sure.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I bought a Sapphire 4770 which did not have a bridge and an XFX 4770 that did,. You can buy bridges off ebay for $10 or so, you need 2 though.
AC

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Well, I got conflicting advice but thought 'hey there's two shiny bits, I'm gonna stick two bridges on there'. Don't know what the official advice is though??

jennyh

Splendid
It depends on who you buy them from (4770's anyway). Pretty strange really. Mine need 2 at least but i've heard of 1 being fine with other brands (mine are both sapphires).

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
mine needed one only one, not saure whats wrong there lol when I stock em both on the primery card refused to work o_O

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
OH lord. What ever happened to ease of installing video cards nowadays. I am returning the video card i just bought in best buy and going to get a single more powerful card instead. ATI HD 4890 should be enough to eat up 2 4850, correct? And yeah i dont think i have the extra 6 pin power supply for the card and yes my psu is only 500. If i have to put 2 cards in there i would have to change to PSU also which will end up spending more money.
Well thanks for the advice guys and twoboxer thanks for the information you gave me.
I have decided against 2 video cards until time comes that i just slap 2 video cards without connecting anything anymore.

Mharka

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
And yes i asked gateway. I am sorry to say that those people doesnt even know their system. A tech support told me my ATI radeon HD4850 does not support dual monitor and hence dual video card wont work. But when i went to CNET review of my box the reviewer actually said i can add another video card into my system but not more powerful card like the 4890.
So i am not going to listen to company tech support anymore. I will just have to come here regularly.

The 4890 requires 2x6 pin connectors vs the 4850 requirement of one.

Hope Gateway gave have the extra 6-pin lead - wait a minute, you said they didn't.

OK, hope the kit you buy provides the molex-to-6pin adapters . . . then hope you have the extra molex connectors in that Gateway box.

I think that's what I said lol. Would be a shame if the same sort of problem beat him two times in such short order.