mentos

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,

Thanks to the great input from this community i upgraded my 6300 @3.14ghz to a 2500k on a p67a ud3 b3 board.

i heard oc was simple so i simply changed the multiplier from 33 to 40 to get a 4.0 oc

i did not change anything else. should i make any other changes in the bios or is simply changing just the multiplier enough?

will i damage my cpu with just that changed and no vcore increase?

thx

mentos

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
i figured as much. i dont really need to go past 4.0 so i think i wont make any further changes to the bios since it wont be necessary.

i am using the stock cooler and temps seem to hover around 38 for black ops over an 1 hour of gameplay. i have yet to do a stress test.

btw, the upgrade from a 6300 to a 2500k (even at stock) is night and day. totally worth the wait and money. hopefully this system will last me 4-5 years before i do another one.

thanks for the input.

ferelden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
just wondering what program you used to give you the 38c temp after gaming for an hour? also have you tried running prime95 for a while and checked the max temp from running it? just wondering cuz i have a 2500k arriving by monday.

Lian

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

If you merely changed the multiplier then your system isn't overclocked hence why you have the low temps. You need to change to Turbo Multiplier to x40 on all cores and disable Intel CState (C1E) to keep your system running on the turbo's multiplier. There might be some other setting to do with C2E or C6E as on my mobo so disable them to.

Check to see if your CPU is overclocked with CPU-Z 1.57 (not 1.55 or lower coz it doesn't register the Trubo value - talking out of experience here lol... what a mess that was).

And no, you dont need to change any voltages with a 4GHz overclock. That should run 100% stable with no voltage tweaking.

But ye, +1 to buying a non stock CPU cooler. Even a cheepo aftermarket cooler will give you better performance than the stock cooler. refer to THIS POST for an awesome cheap CPU cooler.

A lot of "ole axioms" from the Intel 9xx series processors seem to be being carried over unnecessarily to the 1155 platform. The stock cooler does just fine up to 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz and the 1155 OC procedure can be completed in a minute w/o a lot of educating oneself. Here's one for the 2600 where they nhot 4.6 Ghz on the stock cooler.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10

The generic overclock procedure is as follows:

1. Leave baseclock for what it is right now
2. If optional in the BIOS, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200 Watts
3. With a 2600K set your base multiplier at 34
4. And now set the per core multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 46 on all four cores
5. Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.35V
6. Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used the stock Intel cooler and forced the fan to 70% RPM)
7. Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

So these settings allow us to work at a baseline clock of roughly 3400 MHZ, which helps us in IDLE power consumption. However, once the processor gets a kick in the proverbial nuts, it can turbo any or all cores towards that multiplier of 46 times that 100 MHz baseclock frequency, that's a 4600 MHz configuration setup in less than a minute.

Another for the 2500k

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/11

The procedure is as follows:

1. Leave baseclock for what it is right now
2. If optional, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200~250 Watts
3. With a 2600K set your base multiplier at 34
4. And now set the per core multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 43 on all four cores
5. Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.3V
6. Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used the stock Intel cooler and forced the fan to 70% RPM)
7. Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

Of course you can tweak some more but, unlike most of our experiences on the 1366 platform, the return on our time investment is much lower. Playing with all those settings on the 1366 platform brought us much more rewards than we are seeing w/ 1155