shinta86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I have alot of static in my headphones with onboard audio (both back and front ports) and when I use my PCI audio card I also get static but it is significantly quieter and can only hear it when it is almost silent. What could be the cause of this? And when I move the mouse I can hear even more static.

tokyotech

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
There's no surprise that the front chassis audio is giving static. The signal has to be carried over a long wire, past a lot of other 'noisy' electronic components, all the way to the motherboard. This has been a symptom of every computer I have ever used.

I'm surprised that the back plug (the one that's directly connected to the mobo) is giving you static. Perhaps the onboard audio is busted or poor quality... There's nothing you can do about onboard audio because it's not replaceable unless you replace the whole mobo. You might want to try and buy a PCI sound card.

shinta86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

I have a PCI and it still has static though it's greatly reduced thought the PCI.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I do not agree with what tokyotech is saying. I have used both front and back port with my onboard audio plus pci card in the past and have never had any problems with static. If you can, could you list your onboard and pci soundcard please, it sounds like something else is going on. There will always be some sort of static caused by the normal flowing of electricity but it should not be audible unless there is no sound playing and you really shouldn't be able to hear it unless your trying to.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm going to assume that all your drivers are up to date but first things first. It sounds like your experiencing a lot of static on your onboard, guessing you can hear it when audio is playing, and I'm not sure the level your experiencing it on your pci card. Now generally there are two sliders on your sound control with one being volume control and the other being wave. If for whatever reason you have these cranked up, that will produce more static seeing as how more power is flowing through the card. It is possible that your onboard is defunct and try to play around with the setting on each card and see what you can find.

Andy2008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

What exactly do you mean by static? Is a crackly static, or a leakage of sound from other sources, or a hiss?

"And when I move the mouse I can hear even more static."

Is that a PS2 mouse or a USB mouse?

Perhaps consider updating the BIOS.

Andrew