What happened to DDR2 prices.....

OrigJoker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
The last 7-8 months, I bought 4gb of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 for $25 after rebates when I built my computer 8 months ago and now the same memory is almost $100. What the hell happened that drove prices up like this?

Solution
As time goes by current ram will cost more. In a couple of months DDR3 will be dirt cheap and DDR2 will cost a fortune. Same thing happend with DDR RAM. When DDR2 took over DDR RAM was almost double.

OrigJoker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Well, DDR2 is still current last time I checked. It's not like DDR3 is taking the world by storm or anything and nothing really explains the tripling in price over a 3 month period.

True, but DDR2 boards are on the backburner, meaning if you are going to build a new PC you are most likely to get a DDR3 board just for future-proofing purposes. Unless you are on a super tight budget that does not allow such a board. DDR2 is still current but it's days are counted, just like LGA 775.... In Jan of this year DDR2 was dirt cheap and DDR3 was not even worth upgrading since the price was almost 3 times that of DDR2. Now it's the other way around.. This is a cycle that we see everytime new RAM is available to the market.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
The best way to fight inflated prices created by deliberatly reduced inventories is to not buy! While there are always fluctuations created by retools to another chip most of the price inflations we are seeing here were created by reducing inventories to fight the poor economic conditions back in Jan, Feb.

TRENDING THREADS