Sign in with
Your question

Help, why isn't my sound working?

Last response: in Components
August 22, 2009 7:10:56 AM

Hello I recently upgraded to Vista from XP and I can't get my sound driver to work. I have tried doing the update driver from the device manager and it says it can't find anything about my sound card. I tried to find it online and I can't find a Vista driver for it. So I thought that is was because I have Vista, but when I got the Computer it had Vista and the sound worked. I have spent almost 4 hours trying to figure out why it isn't working, but I give up. So I have come here to see if anyone knows how to help me.

Dell Dimension 2400
Intel Celeron, 2600 MHz
1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

If you need any other information let me know.

More about : sound working

August 22, 2009 7:24:03 AM

Find it on the Dell site, they should have all the drivers for your 2400
m
l
August 22, 2009 7:27:26 AM

The trouble with the Dell site is every time I click the "Download now" button it downloads a download manager and when that runs it says I have to select the download. It then just becomes a loop and all I get is a bunch of the download managers no driver download.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2009 7:36:39 AM

Try using the service tag number to locate your drivers
m
l
August 22, 2009 7:41:37 AM

This is prolly going to sound dumb, but where do I find the service tag number?
m
l
August 22, 2009 7:54:51 AM

found my service tag number. Still the download manager thing comes up. It verifies requirements and when it is done it says there are no files to download.
m
l
August 22, 2009 11:11:55 AM

You don't have to use the download manager, click "Download now" then choise "Download via your Internet Browser" (if you don't get that option you probably selected the wrong option the first time and will have to clear cookies to get the option).
m
l
August 22, 2009 8:07:52 PM

I am now getting an error that the software doesn't support my os. I bought this pc from a friend and it had Vista and sound worked. I needed to free up hard drive space so I put XP on it. Now that I got another hard drive I decided to put Vista back on it and yet now I can't get the sound to work.
m
l
August 22, 2009 8:23:57 PM

I feel like an idiot I completely forgot about the "run compatibility mode." I went to the installer that I downloaded and right-clicked went to properties and ran it in compatibilty for XP and bam!!! it worked like a charm. Thanks anyways guys appreciate it.
m
l
!