Bios Need an Answer to simple question

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Someone please give me just a logical answer to this real short question

2mb Bios update

1.44mb Floppy

Why.

And before the flamers, i cannot do the update thru windows becuase of stability issues.

ga-p55-udr3 Board

michael775

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Well if you got the money try a USB zip disk or hot swap the ROM chip I have done this be for but do this at your own risk.

All computers that use EEP ROM’s upload the Bios Microcode from the ROM to the RAM at post startup then the computer shuts off the power to the Rom chip at this point when windows is loading carefully pull the ROM chip off the main board while the computer is on. Then Insert the EEPROM in a different computer preferably an Asus computer because it is easy to flash Programmable ROM’s using Asus update. While in Asus update disable the feature that block older ROM files & non Asus Microcode’s from being flashed then download the ROM you want to flash and flash it. After words insert the two ROM’s from each computer and restart them. Mined the fact I have don this more then once & it is at your own risk and note all ROM’s can’t be removed some like the ones on most Intel boards are soldered on the MOBO.

Look up ROM hot swapping on Google for more in-depth instructions
All the best to you.

If your not comfortable with this method or don’t have an Asus board or another computer at your disposal for this method then take your computer to a repair shop and let there techies do the update for you they will figure out how to flash the update for you & in a safer way.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Not necessarily a problem. There are some nightmare stories about boards bricking when trying to update thru windows. I've seen more than 1 recommendation in these forums not to do it that way.

Are you sure you're following all the steps correctly? I ran into problems with my GA-P55M-UD2 because I overlooked one very important step. It should be as easy as: Download the BIOS file. Copy the file onto your USB stick. Double-click the file to unpack/self-extract the contents onto the USB stick. Reboot the computer with the USB drive still inserted. Enter the BIOS then enter the Q-Flash utility. Pick the drive and find the file. If that doesn't work make sure your USB stick uses the FAT32/16/12 file system.

The step I overlooked - 'running' the downloaded BIOS file to extract its contents to the USB stick. Apparently I was in too much of a hurry. So then I spent too long trying to figure out what was wrong with my USB.

Gigabyte's instructions: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/flashbios_qflash.pdf

G

You could try using WinImage to create a 2.88MB floppy disk (high density) to flash your system with.

I've used this method in the past myself when it has been necessary, before it become possible to use flash drives to boot from.

Now mind you, it's been a long time since I've last used this method, so I don't recall how to do it, but it does work with a regular floppy drive.

Also, here is the WinImage Forum in case you should need to look up anything specific.

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks for the help guys, narrowed it down to a bad board, sent it back to newegg and got it replaced, also discovered had a bad psu aswell. Now the board does everything it suppose to do. Thanks for the help yall.