Beastly Rig But Slow Load Up?

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
So yea, Funny question... i have a phenom 940 O.C @ 3.85ghz was eating too much electricity so it is now @3.51ghz corsair dominator 1066 @ 1107 speed...Zalman 9700 led, msi dk 790gx mobo...bunch of fans, 2x320gb hdd...hd 4850 graphic card..

anyway. Il get to the question...im wondering why my rig is loading up very slow, what i mean when i say this is, when it logs into windows, if i click any program it doesnt open right away, it stalls for almsot a minute before it can open anything... but when it does finish loading its blazing fast...

my older more slower rig can open anything asap, even my friends 5 year old rig can open anything asap...i dont have anything running at startup cept for norton internet security, (note) wouldnt open anything asap even before i popped in norton...this is a fresh install of windows, i tried vista 32bit/64bit/windows 732bit/64bit
windows xp 32bit/64bit ..

all with the same happening of slow when it comes to opening a program right away after windows startup...my hard drives are defragged, (note) happened even before i installed 2 hard drives.. no registry problems...not my anti-virsu programs since this happen even before i installed it...no problems with the ram, i ran memtest for 5 hours no problems, ran prime95 same no problems...btw this happens if my cpu is stock speed/overclocked/underclocked doesnt matter...

just dont know whats wrong, happens even after a fresh install of any windows.. happened on my first install of windows....so im really stuck i have no idea where the problem is... Im asking toms hardware community because i know for a fact this is one of the best forums with the knowleged peers... so if anyone has any idea how i may fix this or suggestions please feel free to leave a comment thanks in advance

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
western digital, and hitachi, they both act slow on the start up, together or seperately , there the 7200 rpm's, i thought it was my hardrive so i took it out and tried a diff hard drive, same problem slow load up....thnx for reading all that tho u prolly got a headache by now.. Not running raid btw, neother is my older rig, but for some reason it loads alot faster and has alot of startup programs enabled... compared to my new one, with no startup programs enabled

You said it was fast once it had loaded .

That means the problem is transfering data from the hard drive into RAM .

The problem has to be
1/ hard drive old and about to die
2/ IDE hard drive with damaged IDE cable . Just a kink can kill transfer speeds
3/ controller drivers for the hard drive not working . Look in device manager and see if they are working and if there are updates

You said it was fast once it had loaded .

That means the problem is transfering data from the hard drive into RAM .

The problem has to be
1/ hard drive old and about to die
2/ IDE hard drive with damaged IDE cable . Just a kink can kill transfer speeds
3/ controller drivers for the hard drive not working . Look in device manager and see if they are working and if there are updates

With a fresh install of Vista or Windows 7, you need to give it a few days to fully index your HD and figure out which applications you use frequently. Once it figures that out, if you have Superfetch enabled, it will launch your frequently used applications very quickly.

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
@outlander hmm. my rig is pretty new. also i took out my harddrive and replaced it with a hardrive from my older slower computer which loads really quick, and tested on my now rig and it loaded slow...checked device manager everything is up to date...im stumped.

@shortstuff i doubt its the superfetch problem, cause my older slower computer loads rather quickly even when i first built it...