Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Artist Career

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:46:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks now but
there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is this career
different from the others in that it isn't actually a 'career' but just
painting and selling, which you could do before, or should I just keep
checking?

More about : artist career

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added
by
> university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
> now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
> this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
> 'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before,
or
> should I just keep checking?

Just use boolprop testingcheatsenabled true and shift click on the
newspaper. You can pick any career you want.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:02:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career
> added by
> university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2
> weeks
> now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist.
> Is
> this career different from the others in that it isn't actually
> a
> 'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do
> before, or
> should I just keep checking?

I don't think you can get the new jobs without having actually
studied at the university.

T.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:02:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Taemon wrote:
> I don't think you can get the new jobs without having actually
> studied at the university.

Yep, I just checked the manual. "There are four new career paths that your
Sims can pursue in The Sims 2 University if they get that highly valued
college degree." Oh well.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:23:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
> university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
> now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
> this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
> 'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before, or
> should I just keep checking?

Darren will never be able to do that since he doesn't have a university
degree and there is no way to get him one. Poor Darrren.

Gareeth
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:37:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Gareeth wrote:

> Will Bradshaw wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
>>university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
>>now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
>>this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
>>'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before, or
>>should I just keep checking?
>
>
> Darren will never be able to do that since he doesn't have a university
> degree and there is no way to get him one. Poor Darrren.
>
> Gareeth
>
>

Can't you reverse age him with boolprop, and then send him off?

-georg
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:41:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
>
> Can't you reverse age him with boolprop, and then send him off?
>
>
Probably but when I answer things I am usually talking about the pure game.
Not what you can do with cheats and programs as it seems to be possible to
do just about anything that way.

Gareeth
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Gareeth wrote:
> Will Bradshaw wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
>>university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
>>now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
>>this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
>>'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before, or
>>should I just keep checking?
>
>
> Darren will never be able to do that since he doesn't have a university
> degree and there is no way to get him one. Poor Darrren.

That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where you
really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.

On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...

--
--Cuth
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:30:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
>
> That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where you
> really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
> artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
> directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
> decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.
>
> On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
> business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...
>

I know several people in business with no degree, including an AA,
including my beloved.

And I know several people in the medical field who may not have a
college degree either... Most of them are medical transcriptionists, and
I wouldn't want any of them *treating* me... but they are directly
involved in patient care and need to know all those funky words and what
they mean.

I do like how it is kind of sort of realistic about working your way up
from the bottom, and you do have to study for your promotions.

-georg
who studied art and literature in college, which means I'd be a great
Criminal by the expansion's standards.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:52:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

georg wrote:
> Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
>
>>
>> That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where
>> you really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
>> artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
>> directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
>> decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.
>>
>> On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
>> business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...
>>
>
> I know several people in business with no degree, including an AA,
> including my beloved.

By AA do you mean Administrative Assistant? Of course they don't need a
degree. I was an AA while working my way through u-grad school. That's
not hard-core business career track, tho.

>
> And I know several people in the medical field who may not have a
> college degree either... Most of them are medical transcriptionists...

See my above comments about AAs.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:03:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

> georg wrote:
>
>> Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where
>>> you really don't need a university degree. Many of not most
>>> prominent artists do not have a university degree, or if they do,
>>> it's not directly related to their field--i.e., they studied
>>> chemistry, but decided upon graduating that they liked painting or
>>> the theater better.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
>>> business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...
>>>
>>
>> I know several people in business with no degree, including an AA,
>> including my beloved.
>
>
> By AA do you mean Administrative Assistant? Of course they don't need a
> degree. I was an AA while working my way through u-grad school. That's
> not hard-core business career track, tho.

No, the AA degree. Associate of Arts. It's a 2-year college degree.

And I meant more than just a secretary in business. I know people in
management without even that much. My sweetie is a technical writer/web
guru.

Of course, most are past military NCOs, but not always.

-georg
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:41:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

You need a degree to go into business - that's news to me!

Best wishes
Maxon


"Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:426FB55D.1030000@earthlink.net...
>
> That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where you
> really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
> artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
> directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
> decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.
>
> On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
> business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...
>
> --
> --Cuth
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:04:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maxon wrote:
> You need a degree to go into business - that's news to me!

But the Sim doesn't start his own business. He or she joins a company
and works up the ranks to the very top. For that you do need a degree
almost always. You don't, however, need a degree to be an artist.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:30:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Maybe that's true in the US, it isn't here though I'm sure quite a lot of
companies do ask for degrees/graduates. I know plenty of people who've done
well in business careers who didn't go to college first.

Then again, I've known a couple of people who've done really well in
business and then gone into academia - they're a real oddity for most of us
(academics). There's a real culture clash between the two worlds - that's
something I find interesting. Though not interesting enough to find out
about the culture of the business world - I had too much of that before I
went to college.

It's also true that you don't need a degree to be an artist but if you want
to be taken seriously in an art-world career you have to be really
exceptional to do well without the conventional training. I'm sure you can
think of some examples. The main thing art degrees - well art(s)
departments - pass on is the culture of art. A lot of contemporary art is
about the culture of art.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:42714FD6.1030004@earthlink.net...
> Maxon wrote:
> > You need a degree to go into business - that's news to me!
>
> But the Sim doesn't start his own business. He or she joins a company
> and works up the ranks to the very top. For that you do need a degree
> almost always. You don't, however, need a degree to be an artist.
>
> --
> --Cuth
>
!