Artist Career

I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks now but
there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is this career
different from the others in that it isn't actually a 'career' but just
painting and selling, which you could do before, or should I just keep
checking?
13 answers Last reply
More about artist career

    Will Bradshaw wrote:
    > I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added
    by
    > university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
    > now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
    > this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
    > 'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before,
    or
    > should I just keep checking?

    Just use boolprop testingcheatsenabled true and shift click on the
    newspaper. You can pick any career you want.

    Will Bradshaw wrote:

    > I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career
    > added by
    > university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2
    > weeks
    > now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist.
    > Is
    > this career different from the others in that it isn't actually
    > 'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do
    > before, or
    > should I just keep checking?

    I don't think you can get the new jobs without having actually
    studied at the university.

    T.

    Taemon wrote:
    > I don't think you can get the new jobs without having actually
    > studied at the university.

    Yep, I just checked the manual. "There are four new career paths that your
    Sims can pursue in The Sims 2 University if they get that highly valued
    college degree." Oh well.

    Will Bradshaw wrote:
    > I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
    > university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
    > now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
    > this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
    > 'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before, or
    > should I just keep checking?

    Darren will never be able to do that since he doesn't have a university
    degree and there is no way to get him one. Poor Darrren.

    Gareeth

    Gareeth wrote:

    > Will Bradshaw wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
    >>university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
    >>now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
    >>this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
    >>'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before, or
    >>should I just keep checking?
    >

    > Darren will never be able to do that since he doesn't have a university
    > degree and there is no way to get him one. Poor Darrren.
    >
    > Gareeth

    Can't you reverse age him with boolprop, and then send him off?

    -georg

    georg wrote:

    > Can't you reverse age him with boolprop, and then send him off?

    Probably but when I answer things I am usually talking about the pure game.
    Not what you can do with cheats and programs as it seems to be possible to
    do just about anything that way.

    Gareeth

    Gareeth wrote:
    > Will Bradshaw wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to get Darren Dreamer to become an artist (career added by
    >>university), and have looked on the computer daily for about 2 weeks
    >>now but there has never been an offer for a job as an artist. Is
    >>this career different from the others in that it isn't actually a
    >>'career' but just painting and selling, which you could do before, or
    >>should I just keep checking?
    >

    > Darren will never be able to do that since he doesn't have a university
    > degree and there is no way to get him one. Poor Darrren.

    That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where you
    really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
    artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
    directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
    decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.

    On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
    business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...

    --
    --Cuth

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

    > That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where you
    > really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
    > artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
    > directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
    > decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.
    >
    > On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
    > business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...

    I know several people in business with no degree, including an AA,
    including my beloved.

    And I know several people in the medical field who may not have a
    college degree either... Most of them are medical transcriptionists, and
    I wouldn't want any of them *treating* me... but they are directly
    involved in patient care and need to know all those funky words and what
    they mean.

    I do like how it is kind of sort of realistic about working your way up
    from the bottom, and you do have to study for your promotions.

    -georg
    who studied art and literature in college, which means I'd be a great
    Criminal by the expansion's standards.

    georg wrote:
    > Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    >

    >> That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where
    >> you really don't need a university degree. Many of not most prominent
    >> artists do not have a university degree, or if they do, it's not
    >> directly related to their field--i.e., they studied chemistry, but
    >> decided upon graduating that they liked painting or the theater better.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
    >> business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...
    >>

    > I know several people in business with no degree, including an AA,
    > including my beloved.

    By AA do you mean Administrative Assistant? Of course they don't need a
    degree. I was an AA while working my way through u-grad school. That's
    not hard-core business career track, tho.

    > And I know several people in the medical field who may not have a
    > college degree either... Most of them are medical transcriptionists...

    See my above comments about AAs.

    --
    --Cuth

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

    > georg wrote:
    >
    >> Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    >>

    >>> That's really stupid then, since being an artist is one career where
    >>> you really don't need a university degree. Many of not most
    >>> prominent artists do not have a university degree, or if they do,
    >>> it's not directly related to their field--i.e., they studied
    >>> chemistry, but decided upon graduating that they liked painting or
    >>> the theater better.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand, you apparently can get a career in the game in the
    >>> business or medical fields without a college degree. Hmmmmm...
    >>>

    >> I know several people in business with no degree, including an AA,
    >> including my beloved.
    >

    > By AA do you mean Administrative Assistant? Of course they don't need a
    > degree. I was an AA while working my way through u-grad school. That's
    > not hard-core business career track, tho.

    No, the AA degree. Associate of Arts. It's a 2-year college degree.

    And I meant more than just a secretary in business. I know people in
    management without even that much. My sweetie is a technical writer/web
    guru.

    Of course, most are past military NCOs, but not always.

    -georg

    You need a degree to go into business - that's news to me!

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > You need a degree to go into business - that's news to me!

    But the Sim doesn't start his own business. He or she joins a company
    and works up the ranks to the very top. For that you do need a degree
    almost always. You don't, however, need a degree to be an artist.

    --
    --Cuth

    Maybe that's true in the US, it isn't here though I'm sure quite a lot of
    companies do ask for degrees/graduates. I know plenty of people who've done
    well in business careers who didn't go to college first.

    Then again, I've known a couple of people who've done really well in
    business and then gone into academia - they're a real oddity for most of us
    (academics). There's a real culture clash between the two worlds - that's
    something I find interesting. Though not interesting enough to find out
    about the culture of the business world - I had too much of that before I
    went to college.

    It's also true that you don't need a degree to be an artist but if you want
    to be taken seriously in an art-world career you have to be really
    exceptional to do well without the conventional training. I'm sure you can
    think of some examples. The main thing art degrees - well art(s)
    departments - pass on is the culture of art. A lot of contemporary art is
    about the culture of art.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Maxon wrote:
    > > You need a degree to go into business - that's news to me!
    >
    > But the Sim doesn't start his own business. He or she joins a company
    > and works up the ranks to the very top. For that you do need a degree
    > almost always. You don't, however, need a degree to be an artist.
    >
    > --
    > --Cuth

Sims Games Video Games