Sign in with
Your question

Some SSD questions

Last response: in Storage
January 14, 2011 5:54:33 PM

Hi, I currently have a really nice computer except the transfer rate is slow cause I am using a WD 1tb HDD. I originally purchased a 80 Intel SSD when I had this PC built and as I am a student I needed more space than the 80 gigs for programs. I have been reading up on data transfer rate and even though my Motherboard has SATA3 on it I realize its kinda a waste at this time since write speeds are no where near it. I was looking at the write speed on my intel and its only 70 where this Samsung http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... write up to 250mb/s. I would like some input as to what I can do to maximize speed and yet have plenty of room for my programs and games on the SSD's while my HDD has mostly file info for Itunes or whatever. Should I buy a second SSD and if so does it have to match the other or can it be a faster write speed. Should I just sell the old one and buy the new SSD? any input thats useful would be appreciated. Also any reccomended other SSD's that you would reccomend around a $250 budget would also be useful

More about : ssd questions

January 17, 2011 11:08:32 AM

Look at the Corsair c300 120gb. Dont Raid the SDDs as you will lose TRIM. Sell the old SSD.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2011 8:40:50 AM

Have you looked into any of the SataIII 10000 rpm drives? WD VelociRaptors have good reviews. Plus, price wise, 3-4 times the storage of an SSD.
m
l
January 25, 2011 4:44:17 AM

jockey said:
Have you looked into any of the SataIII 10000 rpm drives? WD VelociRaptors have good reviews. Plus, price wise, 3-4 times the storage of an SSD.

From what I understand there is no reason to bother looking at SATA III as the data transfer rate is well below the 3.0Gb/s max transfer rate of SATA II on all HDD's with the average rate being between 1.5-2.0 Gb/s
m
l
January 25, 2011 7:54:54 AM

Sell the old one, buy a new one.
Let me know if you want some help choosing which new one to get :) 
m
l
January 25, 2011 10:51:53 PM

Good no....great choice.
Although watch the price drop in about 6 weeks.
m
l
!