Your question

Local vs Online shopping

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Components
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2009 12:30:36 PM

I want to save money and get a bang for the buck. I love newegg but unfortunately it's U.S only. I found a site called - http://www.priceusa.com.au/ which buy's stuff for you online and orders it for you, and you pay them shipping and 5% of the stuff your buying. I don't like buying from local shops that much because you cannot read reviews like from newegg and the components are limited.

So what do you think, should i just buy locally or stick with my plans and buy online.

BTW all of the components i'm buying from newegg are free shipping so the only shipping i have to pay for is the shipping from America to Australia

More about : local online shopping

May 18, 2009 12:37:48 PM

Yes but shipping from the US to other continents costs a lot, for a full PC expect to pay over $100US.

and you shouldn't believe most newegg reviews because you are more likely to post a review if you have a bad experience.
m
l
May 18, 2009 10:59:40 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
Yes but shipping from the US to other continents costs a lot, for a full PC expect to pay over $100US.

and you shouldn't believe most newegg reviews because you are more likely to post a review if you have a bad experience.

Did you not read my thread? i said shipping is free from Newegg to the U.S is free and shipping from the U.S to Australia is 5% total charge extra of everything i buy. So should i buy locally or online?
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2009 11:05:59 PM

It depends on the deals you can find, if you can get it for cheaper locally do that, but if even with the 5% added on it costs less to buy it online do that. You dont have to buy all of your components in the same spot, and it pays off to shop around a bit.
m
l
May 19, 2009 12:00:58 AM

hunter315 said:
It depends on the deals you can find, if you can get it for cheaper locally do that, but if even with the 5% added on it costs less to buy it online do that. You dont have to buy all of your components in the same spot, and it pays off to shop around a bit.

Ok thanks, being a big help :) 
m
l
May 19, 2009 12:14:36 AM

There is no answer to your question so what do you expect? shop around, alot of local places have websites so if you want a better answer, shop at online at online only places and at local stores websites
m
l
May 19, 2009 3:39:30 AM

baskinghobo said:
Did you not read my thread? i said shipping is free from Newegg to the U.S is free and shipping from the U.S to Australia is 5% total charge extra of everything i buy. So should i buy locally or online?

From their website:

Service Fee

Our service fee is 5% of the order price.All other charges are at cost.

Our service fee is calculated by adding the Purchase Price + Shipping Insurance + USA shipping + Shipping to Australia + Return Insurance. The US$ total is converted to A$ at the current spot exchange rate - 2.5 cents. For direct debit payments you are charged 5% of this value. Our minimum order fee is A$10.

For credit card or paypal payments (only available for orders under $2000) our service fee is 10% with a minimum fee of A$15. This higher fee is due to the extra charges and risks we face with these payment methods.

Did you not read the service fee section?
m
l
May 19, 2009 3:47:33 AM

I know from previous threads that there are some good online vendors in Australia. Have you checked them out?

Mwave is an online vendor that I sometimes purchase from in the USA. They are online down under:

http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/default.asp

As Helloworld_98 already pointed out, the customer comments at online vendors are not very good. Instead you should be reading technical reviews.
m
l
May 19, 2009 4:56:52 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
I know from previous threads that there are some good online vendors in Australia. Have you checked them out?

Mwave is an online vendor that I sometimes purchase from in the USA. They are online down under:

http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/default.asp

As Helloworld_98 already pointed out, the customer comments at online vendors are not very good. Instead you should be reading technical reviews.

Baskinghobo just doesn't learn... He has been told about staticice.com.au, pricespy.com.au and still just doesn't get it. This is the third thread that I know of that he has brought up the same subject, ranging from just a PSU to an entire system. I say, let him make a very expensive mistake.
m
l
May 19, 2009 5:15:15 AM

croc - thanks for the heads up.
m
l
May 19, 2009 5:17:06 AM

No problem...
m
l