Pro/Cons Laptop Tracking Software for theft protection????

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 5:18:50 PM

a former [due to new laptop purchase] customer of Laptrak, I am a bit
skeptical of laptop tracking software. Specifically, no firm will give me
hard numbers of laptops recovered. Even when I aggressively preface my
inquiry with my need for actual hard numbers of requests and successful
retrievals for 2003 and NOT rough success percentages, I STILL get responses
like we have an 80% success rate. These small companies also say they don't
have access to these numbers.

My real concern is that even when they can find the laptop on the network,
how much cooperation with ISP's and law enforcement will the tracking
software company receive. My experience with both of these entities has
been very poor. Going back to my inquiry, I can never get a straight answer
about how their attorneys actually go through the motions to get subpoenas.

Given the amount of junk [postal] mail for renewing Laptrak, I have decided
to go with another provider. Any suggestions??? Ztrace seems a bit more
professional.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2004 6:27:01 PM

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:18:50 -0600, "Amber" <amber@ambercom.com> wrote:

> a former [due to new laptop purchase] customer of Laptrak, I am a bit
>skeptical of laptop tracking software. Specifically, no firm will give me
>hard numbers of laptops recovered. Even when I aggressively preface my
>inquiry with my need for actual hard numbers of requests and successful
>retrievals for 2003 and NOT rough success percentages, I STILL get responses
>like we have an 80% success rate. These small companies also say they don't
>have access to these numbers.
>

>My real concern is that even when they can find the laptop on the network,
>how much cooperation with ISP's and law enforcement will the tracking
>software company receive. My experience with both of these entities has
>been very poor. Going back to my inquiry, I can never get a straight answer
>about how their attorneys actually go through the motions to get subpoenas.
>

>Given the amount of junk [postal] mail for renewing Laptrak, I have decided
>to go with another provider. Any suggestions??? Ztrace seems a bit more
>professional.

If the one can't really do the job, why do you think another will?
This sounds like a good way to throw a fair amount of money in the
trashcan. Teach your employees (if this is the issue) to not let
their laptops out of their sight; maybe docking their salaries half
the price would be an educational tool. If I were going to steal a
laptop, I'd make sure I'd cleaned the software off it before I hooked
it to a network.
!