sniper-D

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
i have compaired my cpu to my friends and others around me.
i seam to have the hottest pc. :eek:

i have a Q6600 not overclocked and non stock cooling i bought a new fan thinking itd help ... but it didn't.
Idle Heat rests around 45 - 50 degrees and running my games or Video editing software i run around 65 degrees. my mates pc runs idle at 17 , so im just wondering if somethings wrong.
my heat sink is firmly secure and i have new thermal compound on it.
and i cleaned all the dust out oy my fan and grates but that didnt help :fou:

heres an image

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/smuj56/untitled-6.jpg

Please help :(

thanks

"my mates pc runs idle at 17 , "

I sort of doubt that. 17 C = about 64 F. If he is running any kind of an air cooler - or water, it is cooling below ambient air temps. I want one of those. :D

Your idle temperatures are kind of high - especially considering a core voltage of 1.22 volts.

What kind of cooler? Stupid question, but did you clean off the old thermal compound before adding new? And if the new cooler uses push pins, how do you know the cooler is properly installed? The only way to be certain is to look at the back of the motherboard.

And, what kind of case? You need to be able to move air through a case instead of just recirculating the air inside.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
there is ur answer,
i dont think that the case is amazing but it aint the worst around, but the cooler is definately not suitable for quad cores, it is too small on the fins so the heat isnt being dissapated quick enough.

i would recommend getting a new cooler.
the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme is the cooler i would recommend for the quad, this is what i am looking at upgrading to, from the Freezer 7 pro for my Q6600.

The gray pad on the base of the stock Intel heatsink is thermal compound.

I looked at your case. I cannot tell if fans on the back of the case are included. If not, add a couple of fans to exhaust air from the case.

sniper-D

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
i only know how to install the cpu coolers for 775 with Pins into the board if you get me , anyone got any tips for the new one ?