Wich Thermal paste is better to use?

zabih107

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hello,
Recently i bought the Hyper 212+ Cooler to overclock my Q6600 to 3.6 GHz :p .
The problem is that i donno which of the two heatsink compound i should use for the cooler? First one is Nexttech silicon base heat sink compound. It looks white like toothpaste. The second one is the one that comes with the hyper 212+ cooler. It doesnt have a name on it but it looks like dark gray substance. So anyone of you could help me know which one is better to use, then it willl be greatly appreciated. thanx.

Solution
While this TIC comparison may be over a year-old, and although I am only linking the "enthusiast" page, it should give you a very good idea of what is best and what is not.
Bear in mind that there may be only 2 or 3 degrees difference between "Enthusiast" and "Modest" pastes, and so, the average user would never discern the difference between them. So, either of the compounds you have mentioned should serve you well.

I strongly suggest a full reading of the article, as it is both interesting and educational.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
im not a real expert at thermal compound but from what i notice on higher quality thermal compound they seem to be darker...Like the MX-4 or the Antec Formula 5 seems be darker then my Prolimatech thermal compound that came with my heatsink. So imo i'd go with the cooler master thermal grease

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
While this TIC comparison may be over a year-old, and although I am only linking the "enthusiast" page, it should give you a very good idea of what is best and what is not.
Bear in mind that there may be only 2 or 3 degrees difference between "Enthusiast" and "Modest" pastes, and so, the average user would never discern the difference between them. So, either of the compounds you have mentioned should serve you well.

I strongly suggest a full reading of the article, as it is both interesting and educational.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Great case airflow will overcome any 2-3C differences between TIMs being used. Most people think that TIM and a cooler will make all the difference in the world with a new CPU cooler; not so. If you have poor case airflow to begin with, and don't address it with better fans, ventilation or even a new case, your 'shiny new cooler' won't be the magic bullet you think it will be. Yes, it might perform marginally better, but to get the full cooling capability, you'll want to feed it as much cool air as possible.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Correct, I agree with that statement. I just think case airflow is often overlooked and we just jump straight into 'you need to replace this cooler with this cooler and then use XYZ thermal paste'.

There is a bigger picture here; and while I am in full support of cooler upgrades (what person wouldn't be??), often times the airflow is the leading culprit to the questionably high temps to begin with.

Pull the side of the case, blow a house or desk fan on high into the case. Run benchmarks and note temps. If temps go down, you have a case airflow issue. If they stay the same, airflow is fine, and you can consider a different cooler if you want cooler temps.

germanmikrowave

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I would check if your heat sink has been pre-sanded, or roughed. I believe that the heat sink and just poured molds, so they are relatively smooth on the surface that contacts the CPU. I always sand my heat sink contact with a very fine grit sand paper before I apply the thermal paste. In theory it increases the heat sinks surface area and therefore increases surface thermal conductivity.

chris189

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Shin Etsu for solid immediate results. IC Diamond 24 carat for outstanding long term results. However the best thermal interface is that of precision Engineered Thermal Interface (ETI) "Indigo Xtreme". Which will blow all other manufactures away with it's outstanding characteristics. IC Diamond can be used on your gpu for the best long temp max load performance over Shin Etsu. It takes up to 2-3 days to fully cure. Good Luck!