Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont boot :(, Ntldr is missing

Last response: in Storage
January 14, 2011 10:20:13 PM

Hey guys i got a 1tb internal hdd today. I went to plug it in but i had trouble fiiting it so i disconnected my main hard drive and then put them back in and now im getting NTLDR is missing :( 

Does anyone know how to fix this?
a b G Storage
January 16, 2011 6:07:29 PM

Ouch, NTLDR is a critical system file. Google it and there should be a variety of fixes.
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 16, 2011 6:22:54 PM

Try this:
NTLDR is missing
Windows XP

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation
by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
January 17, 2011 11:57:50 AM

Well I have a Windows 7 cd , what I was trying was : I pluged out all the hard drives that I had been using and just left the completely blank Hitachi deskstar 1tb drive connected to the sata_2 0 slot on mobo. Then I boot from cd and just try a fresh install of Windows 7 x86(I think the highest one) then it says can not find drivers . So I searched for hard drive drivers for ages but there was none and then I got mobo drivers and put them on usb stick but still no joy so I don't reli know where I'm goin wrong....
But I was then gona connect old hdds and take off what I need?
a b G Storage
January 18, 2011 12:00:48 PM

W7 allows a repair install, shown in the lower left corner on the opening screen - have you tried that?

Also, check your BIOS to make sure it sees the HDD, and that it is selected as the boot HDD. Often getting the NTDLR missing message is caused by the BIOS trying to boot from a data HDD and not the OS HDD.
January 18, 2011 12:14:23 PM

Yeh I think its not in the right order but I was in BIOS and it still says philips120 blah blah is there main boot hard disk but that's not even connected I'm not too sure how to change it
January 18, 2011 12:19:15 PM

I went to standard cmos features and the IDE channel 0 master is the dvd drive..and the rest are all blank
a b G Storage
January 18, 2011 3:32:24 PM

I think your 1TB HD is SATA, not IDE; it won't show on the IDE channel(s). You should find a BIOS selection for SATA drives (maybe on the advanced tab/screen, where you can set SATA to behave like IDE/PATA or AHCI or RAID - choose IDE/PATA or AHCI. You should be able to change the boot drive by highlighting it and then pressing the Enter key - sometimes you can use the + and - keys to cycle through the available boot devices.
a b G Storage
January 18, 2011 5:26:37 PM

AG0041 shows your SATA HDDs are working in native IDE mode. That's OK.

AG0042 shows the screen where you set the HDD priority, indicated by the white triangle. Select that setting, press enter, and choose the 1 TB HDD as the first boot device.
a b G Storage
January 18, 2011 6:34:47 PM

It would be very unusual for one circuit or function to break. Do you see any physical damage to the board or its components? If not, try changing the SATA to AHCI and see if you can set the HDD to the second boot device and make the CD/DVD the first boot device so you can load W7. If the cd/dvd drive has no media, the computer will go straight to the HDD.

Going back to your original post: You already had one OS and wanted to add the 1TB HDD. Was that so you could dual boot from either the old OS or W7? If so, you will need to re-attach the other HDDs so W7 will see the old OS and install the bootloader file that allows dual-booting durin the W7 install porcess.
January 18, 2011 6:40:45 PM

No i see no physical damage..

Well all i wanted really is to turn my new 1tb hdd into my main one and want to fresh install. And then copy some of my old stuff from the old hard drives on to the new ones but now it wont detect any hard drives :/ 

I am very puzzled.. I bet it is something simple though..ok i will try your suggestion
January 18, 2011 11:42:08 PM

ok i think iv found why the drivers were not showing up..i was picking 32bit version when i thought i was picking 64... why do they call it 86 if its really 32? i was thinking the higher number was better version :/ 

ok i can see the drivers now but theres a box that says hide drivers that are not compatable with th hardware on this computer. So when i click this none stay in the list.. theres like 20 different ones.

How do i know which one to use?
a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 2:49:36 PM

what probably happened is when you installed windows you had more than one hdd installed and connected..

it will randomly put the bootfiles/loader on what it considers the first hdd.. not necessarily the hard drive you install windows on.

then later on you change stuff around and it gets confused.

this is why you should only have 1 hdd connected when you install windows.
a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 10:55:11 PM

liamthepirate said:
ok i think iv found why the drivers were not showing up..i was picking 32bit version when i thought i was picking 64... why do they call it 86 if its really 32? i was thinking the higher number was better version :/  x86 goes way back to the Intel 8086 chip and its architecture

ok i can see the drivers now but theres a box that says hide drivers that are not compatable with th hardware on this computer. So when i click this none stay in the list.. theres like 20 different ones. Sounds like you're trying to load RAID drivers, but only one HDD (1 partition) you cannot use RAID.

How do i know which one to use? Try the AHCI driver for W7x64 and your motherboard's chipset, ICHR9 or ICH10.

see above
May 15, 2012 4:10:41 AM

1837303,4,337723 said:
Try this:
NTLDR is missing
Windows XP

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.

till here everithing is fine but afterthat windows shuting down i cant access to the recovery console
!