Question about power supply and video card for the technically savvy.

minimeq22

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi there, thanks for reading my post. I ‘m in the process of upgrading my computer and have two questions that I hope someone could help me with. I plan on getting this motherboard this processor and this graphics card. I already have 2gigs of ram which I plan to double to 4 gigs. I’m using the Corsair XMS2 brand of memory. My first question is pretty simple.

1.] Can the graphics card linked above even fit onto the motherboard linked above?

I ask this question because the graphics card that I linked to above is pretty freakin huge and I’m concerned that it wont fit on the motherboard because of the position of the Southbridge. If you look at this picture, you’ll notice that the Southbridge is right next to the PCI-e slot and that it sort of sticks out. This makes me think that the card wont fit, but I’m not sure.

Second question

2.] Will my power supply do the job?

My current machine uses a Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 which I plan to reuse in the new build since it is only 1.5 years old and still going strong. The issue though is what seems to be a discrepancy in the amperage that will make a huge difference. On the Newegg site, it says that this PSU only has 35amps of total power from the two 12V rails (which is less than the 36 amps recommended for the GFX card). However, when I actually open my computer up and look at the label on the PSU, it says +12v1 with 19A under it and +12v2 with 19A under it which should be 38amps right? I don’t really understand the whole watts/amps thing, so any info in straight English would be greatly appreciated.

Everything else in the machine is very standard, only one hard drive, a pretty standard sound card, one standard issue DVD reader/writer. Nothing fancy or power hungry.

Thanks in advance for any information.

#1 Don't know. You can check the Gigabyte website and see.

#2. Rosewill PSU's are, well, excessively mediocre. The PSU label says that it has two 19 amp 12 volt rails (outputs). That means that each rail can put out up to 19 amps, but the total is 36 amps. This is kind of crappy for a 600 watt PSU. A good 600 watt PSU should be able to put out around 45 amps.

Having said that, your PSU should be able to power your system. But you should thingk about upgrading your PSU.

minimeq22

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Thanks for the response. I'm a bit confused now though. The label says +12V1 @ 19A , +12V2 @19A, which lead me to believe that it should have 38A, but the label only says 35A (huh?) but you say 36A (again, huh?)
I'm pretty confused now.

Let me ask this, is anyone pretty sure that the PSU will power the new system without straining?

well, what happens is a large +12V rail (say 35A) is split between two rails say +12V1 and +12V2, now they set the OCP to 18A on both rails, though since they both stem from the same original +12V rail with only 35A, that is the max between them

though i do agree that you should swap out that PSU, though i still have one running in my server for 3+ years, i didn't ever come close to using it all

OK. 35 amps. Sometimes I am numerically challenged.

A GTX260-216 needs about 12 amps. Your CPU shouldn't need more than about 8 amps. According to the specs, your PSU has enough capacity. Whether or not it is good enough to actually produce this power is another question.

obsidian, you are making the same common mistake that minimeq did.

Look at the specs for the 600 watt Silverstone and tell me how a 600 watt PSU could possibly have a 64 amp 12 volt rail (768 watts)? Its specs say it has two 12 volt rail, each capable of producing 32 amps max. Look at the rest of the label. It says a total of 48 amps. That means if you are pulling 30 amps from one rail, there's only 18 amps left for the other.

If you look at the OCZ PSU, the total max 12 volt current is actually 42 amps.

You guys need to learn to really read PSU specifications. :) The only thing that is important is the total max 12 volt power available.

They list the maximum out PER rail, and having 2 of them doesnt equal the maximum OVERALL availavle on the 12 volts rails combined.
Every company does this.
The good ones are just closer to the max TOTAL than the others, because on the cheap ones, you could never really ever use their so called max combined, and is why, when on the cheap ones, broken down PER rail, its seen as using more of the suposed combined total, which isnt anywheres near the claimed total output, say a 600 watt cheapo

Quick guide to choosing a PSU:

1. Figure out the approximate Watts needed for the TOTAL system.

2. Using the number found in the above step calculate the # of amps needed:
W= A*V; where W= Watts; V= Voltage; A = Amps.
For +12 rail: W/12=A
For +5 rail: W/5=A
For +3.3 rail: W/3.3.

3. Now look for a PSU made by: Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, or OCZ that exceed the needed amps and wattage.

Yes, it will fit. The Southbridge will not be an issue, though large cards will block one or more SATA ports at the edge. If that's an issue for you, look at 260-216s that do not have a decorative cover extending all the way to the end of the card. Like maybe this Sparkle, for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187089

An unqualified "Maybe", as you can tell from the other posts. Its short of the requested specs, which usually include some fudge factor. But then again, the PSU is a Rosewill. So we're not confident it isn't using "marketing specs" when listing max output.