LC solution

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Need an experienced person to help with a couple of LCing questions? I am gonna get an XSPC pump/res. combo, single 140mm rad., now I am at a loss as to which CPU block, and fittings to get...I wanna use 3/8" ID Hose...I am only liquid cooling the CPU. Also, how do you fill a LC system properly? Do you fill it at the res. or make your own fill port?

Solution
Reading the threads here should help with lots of general information.

For fittings you could use 1/2" barbs for a super tight fit or 7/16" compression fittings for a direct match to the tubing (but much more expensive). The reason most people put 7/16" hose on a 1/2" barb is for extra security against leaks, something that I think is not necessary. If you put the hose on the barb properly there's no reason for a leak to occur.

In your case with filling simply fill directly into the res. If the res in inconveniently placed for filling you could use a t-line or just cut a segment of tube as in impromptu funnel. you could also create a fillport ahead (being higher elevation or it doesn't work) of the res if you want. The end...

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Reading the threads here should help with lots of general information.

For fittings you could use 1/2" barbs for a super tight fit or 7/16" compression fittings for a direct match to the tubing (but much more expensive). The reason most people put 7/16" hose on a 1/2" barb is for extra security against leaks, something that I think is not necessary. If you put the hose on the barb properly there's no reason for a leak to occur.

In your case with filling simply fill directly into the res. If the res in inconveniently placed for filling you could use a t-line or just cut a segment of tube as in impromptu funnel. you could also create a fillport ahead (being higher elevation or it doesn't work) of the res if you want. The end result is the same

For getting that water from the res to the rest of your loop you will need to provide power to the pump in short bursts so that the pump does not run dry. Just continue topping off the res and and turning the pump on fro short rounds until everything is filled. It will take a while for the whole loop to fill and flush out all the air. More details can be found on the page I linked.

I'm not sure on a 140mm rad cooling a CPU. Sure it can work, but I think performance will be lackluster. If you can pull off a 2x120mm rad I that would be a better choice.

Solution

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
My case is made for a dual 140 rad. I just thought that would be to much and was gonna opt for the single 140 rad. ...as for the size of the fittings I wasn't sure as to how big I needed to go with it. I know bigger is better but I was trying to keep the hoses as small as possible and still get good performance. Thanks for that link BTW.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
the main reason you use 7/16 tube over 1/2 barb is for clean look (no need for worm clams)
as for filling up your RES. you dont have to do much ..it comes with the top plug
if difficult to add water ,just use piece of tubing and funnel or squirt bottle
P.S. why only 140MM RAD ?
Edit ; there is no such a thing as to much RAD ,get the biggest one you can fit ,if 3/8 ID tube is your choice i would recommend - compressions

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
thanks ortklaz...140mm rad. I don't know. I was just piecing a LCS together and picked it. Clean and Neat is what I am going for. So, I think 1/2" with 7/16" tubing with compression fittings and a 280 rad with a EK Block and XSPC 750lph Pump/Res.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depends on your case...many 140mm fan mounts also will accept 120mm as well, so you might be able to stick with other rads.

I have links in my signature...please, for your benefit, take a lot of time and research what you are wanting to do...it will make a huge difference in the long run.

Good luck.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

best bang for your buck,this will give you better perf. then single 140MM:
http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-Rasa-750-RX240-CPU-watercooling-kit-pr-4779.html
once again if you going with compressions ..no need for 7/16 over 1/2 reduction ,you can go 3/8 ID tube/3/8 compressions