SSD's Raid 0 - Intel x25v

Tags:
  • SSD
  • NAS / RAID
  • Configuration
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2011 1:40:19 AM

Okay... I am sure similar things have been asked many times before, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject of setting up a raid configuration with solid state drives.

I understand setting up a raid with SSD's eliminates TRIM provided by Windows 7, but from reading various articles and reading up on RAID configurations I see that TRIM is not necessarily needed, although very useful.

Apparently drives will be able to auto-correct their performance by themselves without the use of trim and by providing a bit of overhead on the partition by not utilizing the full capacity will also help and whether you will actually notice a significant drop in performance overtime seems unlikely.

I have currently purchased (x2) Intel 40GB X-25v SSD's and have them set in a Raid 0 configuration and I am currently contemplating a 3rd 40GB SSD for more overhead, storage capacity, and future installs as I am currently already hitting 50 - 60% use of the drives.

I've read this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3618/intel-x25v-in-raid0-...
^and this makes me more optimistic of setting up a raid configuration with ssd's

I was wondering what anyone's thoughts were on the subject.
Basically just asking for more direct information.

More about : ssd raid intel x25v

January 16, 2011 7:03:53 PM

Quote:
not liking SSD in RAID but that my opinion..

Any reason? or is just because lack of proper TRIM support.
m
l
January 16, 2011 7:40:38 PM

Personally I wouldnt bother to RAID SSDs.
Simply get a 60gig or 90gig OCZ Vertex 2, they out perform alot of the low end SSDs even when they are in a RAID config.
Some people get a bit loony when it comes to SSDs and RAID.
There was a recent post about a guy who wanted to run 8 Intel X-25s in RAID 0.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2011 3:17:11 PM

DoomsWord89 said:

Simply get a 60gig or 90gig OCZ Vertex 2, they out perform alot of the low end SSDs even when they are in a RAID config.

Well if you read the article I linked in my original posting. They have provided benchmarks that show a single larger ssd does not out perform low end ssds in a raid 0 configuration.

Do you have a link or benchmarks that prove your statement?
m
l
February 2, 2011 7:48:55 AM

Quote:
well it seems that your bent on doing SSD in RAID 0 and since you already know that you will loose TRIM,
performance will degrade sooner and have less fail-safes...
then just do it and report back the time span and comparisons of performance degradation and other techie info.
good-luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-performanc...
" Users who primarily want sequential throughput can of course consider an SSD RAID array. But for everyone else, we recommend investing in a single more enthusiast-oriented SSD for similar money. We did not only come to this conclusion because of the ambivalent performance results, but also because of the potential trouble you can run into if a RAID 0 array should ever fail. Since your entire array is lost if only one drive fails, we recommend staying away from such configurations unless really necessary for performance reasons--and back your data up regularly. The results would change if you were to use faster products for such an array, but then cost would increase quite a bit. "

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
" Compared to a single Vertex SSD configuration, the RAID-0 SSDs don't plateau performance until the 256 KB sized file chunks. A single Vertex offered 249 MBps maximum read performance, while the RAID-0 Vertex recorded a 438 MBps top speed. That's not quite 100% of a single Vertex SSD, but 76% isn't bad considering overhead and throughput managment. Moving on to the read-from performance, a single Vertex SSD gave a best speed of 137 MBps while the RAID-0 Vertex SSDs offered an impressive 358 MBps for 161% improvement! "

Any suggestion on some SSD benchmark software that is widely used?
Yes, I can google a few but just curious on what would be suggested and why.

Thanks again.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 2, 2011 4:15:49 PM

In support of what malmental wrote.
Raid0 provides a good boost to Sequential read/writes, but Does VERY LITTLE to boost performance in the 4k random read/write and almost no improvement in access time. This applies to SSD as well as mechanicl HDD.
For this reason a raid0 configuration is a option for a data disk that is used for LARGE files such as large jpeg/Bitmap pictures, large viedo files (dot vobs can be upto 1 gig and a blu-ray video file can be up to 40 gigs, Large spreadsheet/cad-cam files.
Raid0 will do very little to improve win 7 load time and program load times. If you look at your operating system and programs you will find that about half of the files are under 16 K and they are spread all over in a ramdom order.

Sometimes common sense works better than benchmarks. I only use the benchmark to verify that the drive is working to specs.
To me a perfect system - SSD (not in raid0) for Operating system plus programs. Large amount of memory (ie 12 gigs or more) so that you can create a ramdrive as a scratch file disk. and One or more HDDs for storage. And yes a raid0 can be very useful here as LONG as you do your backups to a external drive.

added I like AS SSD benchmark - why, just prefer, but does show that alignment is OK and what driver is being used - whithout running the benchmarks.
m
l
!