jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Ok all,

I have a Q6600 with an arctic cooler 7 and this thing is still idling at 68C (according to Speedfan). I used arctic silver thermal paste and I have 2 other casefans to create airflow, but am not sure what else I can do without buying another fan. Is this a normal temp for an idle quad or does something need to be done. I noticed too that I can't really play games either since my GPU is also around 68C.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Solution

It could be the case. Check the temperatures inside it with Everest or CPUID hardware monitor. You will find it out. Usually a good temperature inside the case is about 20-30 degrees depending on ambient temperature. The...

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

PS- here is my config

Q6600
8800gtx (evga)
4gig DDR2
Ocz 700W stealth xtreme
MSI P6N SLI Platinum

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
That is hot for idle on the cpu (assuming it's at stock). Try reseating the heatsink and running with the the side of the case off. Be sure the cpu is not being overvolted. Post a cpuz screenshot. However, 68C idle temp for a 8800gtx is normal.

Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.

The 8800GTS/X sends much of the hot air directly out the double slot cooler. There are, however three slots in the card which lets some hot exhaust leak back into the case. This heats up both the vga card, and the cpu. I installed a cheap slot fan directly under those slits, and it reduced both my vga temps and my cpu temps:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999704

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Thanks for all the great advice. I did indeed install the CPU fan prior to installing the board. I am 100% confident that it is on snug and even. I did clean the CPU with rubbing alcohol, but never had these kinds of temps as a result of that. I wonder if the board has anything to do with it. I am not as worried about the GPU as I am the CPU. I wonder if a newer, bigger, better, more badass CPU fan is needed for my setup. I ran Assasins Creed and the CPU jumped to about 80C, I think under those temps, the PC will be too hot to run decent graphics and will shut down!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I believe the 8800GTX would be the culprit for the overheat. It simply produces too much heat for your case to remove, and excess heat would increase the temperature of the air inside the case, which makes the CPU heatsink less effective.

So the best way for you to reduce temperature would be further increase the case flow (i.e. removing the side panel), purchase a better cooling solution for the GPU (such as Arctic Cooling's Accelero), or purchase a better cooling solution for the CPU.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
try coretemp or realtemp, I do not trust speedfan much.

I did clean the CPU with rubbing alcohol, but never had these kinds of temps as a result of that.
I hope You applied new TIM after cleaning it?!

I have put Q6600 @3.2GHz and 1.375V with arctic cooling freezer 7 pro in friends PC and it idles 40-45C and full load 65-70C with room temp around 30 C these hot summer days. So something is wrong there.

Try touching CPU HSF, if it is hot then You have airflow problems in case, if it is not hot then HSF is mounted or TIM applied incorrectly.

selea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

How are the fans in the case implemented? A good setup will have 1-2 front fans (usually in the lower part) that intake cool air and 1 fan at the higher back part blowing hot air outside the case. Some cases have another fan out-taking hot air above the case from the CPU and/or a lateral fan blowing cold air on the GPUs.

With a setup as this and a stock heatsink properly installed (don't use too much thermal paste) a Q6600 should not go above 40-45 degrees (celsium) on idle with an ambient temperature of about 20-25 degrees. I don't think the MoBo is the problem or you will have very hight NB temps, it's surely a case of bad airflow inside the case. Use CPUID Hardware Temps or Everest program to test all the temperatures inside the case and you will easily find if there's a problem of this type. If that's no the case (i.e. there's good airflow in the chassis) then you mounted badly the cooler or used too much paste or the plate of the cooler is not in plan and touch the CPU only in part. Recheck it all; you can see if the heatsink doesn't touch properly from how the paste spreads: if it is not homogenously spread in the CPU but for example is thicker on the sides you will have to be sure that it contact correctly with the CPU and in the case you will have to lap it.

Artic cooler 7 is fine but there are surely much better air heatsinks out there. That being said it is anyway much better of stock heatsink so your CPU temps are definetly too high.

EDIT: Didn't notice you had an aftermark cooler so edited the post accordingly

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

The heatsink is warm, but not hot. I am 100% positive the heatsink fan is seated properly. I have a front fan pulling in air (at bottom), and a rear fan pushing it out (along with the PSU fan). My problem is, is that I do not have anymore hookups for my fans unless I take the little heatsink fan off the pipes on my board. I was sure not to use too much paste and spread it out evenly on the chip. So could this possibly be the way my case is set up (its a cheesey generic one) or am I doing something wrong here?

selea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

It could be the case. Check the temperatures inside it with Everest or CPUID hardware monitor. You will find it out. Usually a good temperature inside the case is about 20-30 degrees depending on ambient temperature. The larger it is the more heat the CPU produces. Be sure to have all cables the more clean you can so not to stop airflow.

Also check if the paste is spreaded correctly on the CPU. It should cover all of it without being thinner in some parts of it. Also if you put it evenly when the heatsink makes contact with the CPU it can spread it badly if it is not lapped well. Have you still the stock cooler? If all else fails and you have it try with it and watch what happens. If you have lower temps you can be sure it's a cooler problem. As I've said a stocker cooler should produce about 40-45 degrees in idle so in that way you can see if something is wrong with the case or the CPU.

The fans you have what RPM they have and what CFM?

Solution

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

I am trying to post the link but imagehosting will not let me upload. It keeps saying it's too big or incorrect format. The file is only 143KB and I saved as JPEG. Any other sites?

selea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

Your case is definetly too hot. You have 44 degress on the HDDs and the MoBo outside temp is too hot.

But this is not the bad part. Your MoBo is frying. Are you sure you didn't change the voltages? Try to reset everything there and check all jumpers with the manual. You risk on broking the board, seriously. No wonder your CPU is so high. It's not a problem of the heatsink it's a problem of the Motherboard and bad case airflow. The thing you must do immediately is to check all about the MoBo, seriously.

As for the fans those are 80mm ones. They do a lot of noise and don't move enough air. If your case allow you to do it change them with 120mm fans with 1200 or more RPMs.

Again, beware about your MoBo, I don't either know why you didn't fry it yet.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Try the reseating as others have said, but this time, don't spread out the AS5. Just leave it as the drop in the middle, and let the pressure of mounting the heatsink spread it out for you. It almost ALWAYS does a better job than manually spreading it out, especially for thin pastes.

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

I didn't change anything on the mobo, everything is running at stock. What should I do about the mobo if that is too hot???