Sign in with
Your question

AMD 7 Series Chipsets (with a Phenom II X4)

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Performance
  • AMD
  • Phenom
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 6, 2009 11:37:42 PM

Hi guys,

I've been looking at purchasing an AMD Phenom II X4 965BE and have run into a bit of bother regarding the chipsets.

Firstly what are the main benefits of choosing an 790GX over a 770 or 785G chipset. I understand the 790GX has embedded graphics, which I will not be using, but would there be any performance benefits/drawbacks using one chipset over the other. Better memory bandwidth and CPU performance or would I experience pretty much the same performance? Also would the nVidia GTX260 perform poorly on ATIs turf?

Also the South Bridges in the boad I am looking at are SB710, on the 770 & 785G, and SB750 on the 790GX. Again are there better performance, extra features and better overclocking with the latter?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

More about : amd series chipsets phenom

a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2009 1:50:58 PM

Often an ATI/AMD motherboard will be sli certified with the nvidia chipset as opposed to crossfire certified for AMD. I dought the onboard amd video board will provide the upgrade path to SLI.
The 770 and 785G boards are more budget enthusiast compared with the 790GX I believe. Although I have read some reviews say the SB710 doesn't have ACC in the bios all three mentioned here do. The Nvidia chipset's do not presently have the ACC code available in bios that I am aware of.
m
l
November 7, 2009 2:45:34 PM

Thanks for the reply roonj,

At this moment in time I will not be upgrading to either a CrossFire or SLi configuration. I am more interested in whether an nVidia graphics card would significantly produce lower frame rates with an AMD/ATi chipset, than a motherboard with an nVidia chipset, such as the 750a? Hopefully this is not the case.

Regarding the South Bridges you are correct. It seems that the SB710 South Bridge does have AMD Overdrive but without the ACC, whilst the 790GX does list ACC.

Finally would the processor, a X4 965 in this case, perform better on a 790GX than a 770? This is possibly the main sticky point so far. If overclocking wasn't taken into consideration, eliminating the lack of ACC on an SB710, is there any difference performace wise.

So far it seems that I will be purchasing the ASRock M3A790GXH/128M for just under £75. This is simply because of the South Bridge offering ACC.

All further help is greatly appreaciated.
m
l
!