Sign in with
Your question

64gb c300 IDE & AHCI

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2011 4:42:06 AM

Hello
I have a new build with an Asus p7p55d-e pro MB latest BIOS. 64GB c300 firmware 0002 connected to the SATA 6Gb port for a boot drive. Configured SATA as AHCI and set Marvell controller to AHCI also. Windows 7 installed OK. I have only have the drivers installed from windows so am using the MS AHCI driver. However, the SSD seems to be running slower than most, and I've noticed that in BIOS the name for my SSD is [IDE:S0 C300CTFDDA].
Does this mean that it is still in IDE mode?
I've also noticed that only the 1st device in my hard disk list in BIOS is visable in the boot priority list. Is this normal?
One final question. Does it matter to which number port I plug my SSD, HDD and DVD into? Do the ports share any channel or bandwidth?

Cheers.

Asus p7p55d-e pro
Intel i5 760
Corsair Dominator 1600 C8
Crucial 64Gb c300
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
Lite On 24x DVD
XFX HD 5870
Antec TruePower 650
Coolermaster 212+
NZXT Phantom White

More about : 64gb c300 ide ahci

January 17, 2011 11:04:40 AM

You should have unplugged all HDDs and just had the SSD plugged in when installing Windows. After the install of Windows on the SSD you can plug your other HDDs in. It does not matter what number port you plug them in.
m
l
January 18, 2011 11:59:55 PM

I upgraded the driver for the marvell 6Gb/s controller to the latest intel driver and that really helped push the speed of the SSD up +50Mb/s, +10Mb/s @ 4k, and lowered the read latancy from .2 to .1. pushed up my disk WEI from 7.8 to 7.9 as well.
Still not getting the 370Mb/s+ that I've seen some post with this drive but it will do.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2011 10:37:51 PM

What about all the other issues you listed in your OP?
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:22:14 PM

Still can only see one of either my ssd or hdd in the boot priority in BIOS. However it's not really an issue as I'm only going to boot from the ssd. If I ever do need to boot from the hdd i can just swap positions on the hard disk list in bios and it will show in place of the ssd.
The disk name in BIOS is still bugging me though. Perhaps if anyone else has a Crucial 64Gb c300 ssd they can post what their disk is named in the BIOS and what controller they are using IDE/AHCI/RAID. It seems silly to name a disk IDE when it doesn't relate to what controller it is using.
I'm 99% sure it's in AHCI. Passthrough: AHCI comes up on the first splash screen. And the speeds seem to confirm it.
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:41:26 PM

So is there a way to check what controller the ssd is using? If everything in bios is set to ahci then it can't be ide. Can it?
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:45:57 PM

mark_k said:
You should have unplugged all HDDs and just had the SSD plugged in when installing Windows. After the install of Windows on the SSD you can plug your other HDDs in. It does not matter what number port you plug them in.

Although The HDD was physically plugged in when I installed Windows 7, I left it unpartitioned untill after windows was installed.
m
l
January 20, 2011 10:03:00 PM

You should not have it plugged in.
Do the reinstall with it unplugged.
m
l
!