Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sims2 deleting from download folder?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:36:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Hi,

I just figured out how to download stuff into the download folder and
installing it.
After installing, can I remove the things in the download folder, or should
they stay there?

--
Khanzi
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:38:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I'm not sure what you are referring to completely but when you install stuff
into the game, you should get package files in the Downloads folder - that
is files with a .package extension. Those have to remain in your Downloads
folder because that's where the game stores most of the custom stuff you put
in. Anything else really shouldn't be in there and you should take it out -
this will include any pictures, zips, rar files, text files and
self-installer files (Sims2Pack files).

If you mean you are downloading straight into your Downloads folder, I
really wouldn't if I were you. You will end up with a really messy
Downloads folder and run the risk of downloading something nasty which will
cause a crash or the game not to work. Also the game reads everything in
there when it starts up including all the unnecessary files and you'll end
up with a very long load time.

When you are downloading custom material, put it somewhere else at first - I
use a separate folder to dump everything in - and install from there.
Sims2Pack files will know where to put themselves when you double-click on
them and you can unzip/unrar from there too. Some people unzip directly
into the Downloads folder (find it through the browse option) though
personally I prefer to unzip into my working folder and cut and paste only
the package files across to Downloads. This isn't really necessary but I
like to test the custom content before I let it stay in the game.

No doubt someone will recommend using Sim File Maid to you - it's a
programme that will do the installation of package/sims2pack/zip/rar files
for you. Personally, I don't like it because I like to see exactly where
things go and exactly what is being put into the game and, and this is
prejudice really, because the version for Sims 1 was less than perfect. On
the other hand, if you're not confident with the processes of installing
files into the game, it can be a real help.

Finally, I have a store of things I have downloaded for the game which I
keep on my hard drive - some people copy onto CDs (I'm actually too lazy to
do this bit) - it means if you have a crash and have to reinstall, you still
have a copy of all your favourite downloads. They need to be managed
though - I sort them by type and maker. This is assuming, of course, you
have room for the store on your drive.

Best wishes
Maxon


"Khanzi" <khanzi@home.nl> wrote in message
news:D 4npvq$npr$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I just figured out how to download stuff into the download folder and
> installing it.
> After installing, can I remove the things in the download folder, or
should
> they stay there?
>
> --
> Khanzi
>
>
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:38:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Just to be obstinate here :) 
Now, I download stuff right into my downloads folder, broken into
sub-folders for the sites I download from. And then I unzip within each
folder and then delete the zips. For houses, bodyshop files and hacks, I
actually do put them somewhere else first.
But this is only my latest way of doing this and may change again in the
next few weeks, lol.
Heck I just recently went back to subfolders for sites. I used to have
subfolders according to type and function...............but with all the
foreign sites out there, it's hard to tell what is what after a while.

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:SBMbe.11753$p06.10461@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> I'm not sure what you are referring to completely but when you install
> stuff
> into the game, you should get package files in the Downloads folder - that
> is files with a .package extension. Those have to remain in your
> Downloads
> folder because that's where the game stores most of the custom stuff you
> put
> in. Anything else really shouldn't be in there and you should take it
> out -
> this will include any pictures, zips, rar files, text files and
> self-installer files (Sims2Pack files).
>
> If you mean you are downloading straight into your Downloads folder, I
> really wouldn't if I were you. You will end up with a really messy
> Downloads folder and run the risk of downloading something nasty which
> will
> cause a crash or the game not to work. Also the game reads everything in
> there when it starts up including all the unnecessary files and you'll end
> up with a very long load time.
>
> When you are downloading custom material, put it somewhere else at first -
> I
> use a separate folder to dump everything in - and install from there.
> Sims2Pack files will know where to put themselves when you double-click on
> them and you can unzip/unrar from there too. Some people unzip directly
> into the Downloads folder (find it through the browse option) though
> personally I prefer to unzip into my working folder and cut and paste only
> the package files across to Downloads. This isn't really necessary but I
> like to test the custom content before I let it stay in the game.
>
> No doubt someone will recommend using Sim File Maid to you - it's a
> programme that will do the installation of package/sims2pack/zip/rar files
> for you. Personally, I don't like it because I like to see exactly where
> things go and exactly what is being put into the game and, and this is
> prejudice really, because the version for Sims 1 was less than perfect.
> On
> the other hand, if you're not confident with the processes of installing
> files into the game, it can be a real help.
>
> Finally, I have a store of things I have downloaded for the game which I
> keep on my hard drive - some people copy onto CDs (I'm actually too lazy
> to
> do this bit) - it means if you have a crash and have to reinstall, you
> still
> have a copy of all your favourite downloads. They need to be managed
> though - I sort them by type and maker. This is assuming, of course, you
> have room for the store on your drive.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
>
> "Khanzi" <khanzi@home.nl> wrote in message
> news:D 4npvq$npr$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just figured out how to download stuff into the download folder and
>> installing it.
>> After installing, can I remove the things in the download folder, or
> should
>> they stay there?
>>
>> --
>> Khanzi
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:38:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

No-one's saying you can't - I'm just saying I wouldn't!

Best
Maxon


"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:heWdndUAwL62XvLfRVn-og@comcast.com...
> Just to be obstinate here :) 
> Now, I download stuff right into my downloads folder, broken into
> sub-folders for the sites I download from. And then I unzip within each
> folder and then delete the zips. For houses, bodyshop files and hacks, I
> actually do put them somewhere else first.
> But this is only my latest way of doing this and may change again in the
> next few weeks, lol.
> Heck I just recently went back to subfolders for sites. I used to have
> subfolders according to type and function...............but with all the
> foreign sites out there, it's hard to tell what is what after a while.
>
!