Sims2 deleting from download folder?

Hi,

I just figured out how to download stuff into the download folder and
installing it.
After installing, can I remove the things in the download folder, or should
they stay there?

--
Khanzi
3 answers Last reply

    I'm not sure what you are referring to completely but when you install stuff
    into the game, you should get package files in the Downloads folder - that
    is files with a .package extension. Those have to remain in your Downloads
    folder because that's where the game stores most of the custom stuff you put
    in. Anything else really shouldn't be in there and you should take it out -
    this will include any pictures, zips, rar files, text files and
    self-installer files (Sims2Pack files).

    If you mean you are downloading straight into your Downloads folder, I
    really wouldn't if I were you. You will end up with a really messy
    Downloads folder and run the risk of downloading something nasty which will
    cause a crash or the game not to work. Also the game reads everything in
    there when it starts up including all the unnecessary files and you'll end
    up with a very long load time.

    When you are downloading custom material, put it somewhere else at first - I
    use a separate folder to dump everything in - and install from there.
    Sims2Pack files will know where to put themselves when you double-click on
    them and you can unzip/unrar from there too. Some people unzip directly
    into the Downloads folder (find it through the browse option) though
    personally I prefer to unzip into my working folder and cut and paste only
    the package files across to Downloads. This isn't really necessary but I
    like to test the custom content before I let it stay in the game.

    No doubt someone will recommend using Sim File Maid to you - it's a
    programme that will do the installation of package/sims2pack/zip/rar files
    for you. Personally, I don't like it because I like to see exactly where
    things go and exactly what is being put into the game and, and this is
    prejudice really, because the version for Sims 1 was less than perfect. On
    the other hand, if you're not confident with the processes of installing
    files into the game, it can be a real help.

    Finally, I have a store of things I have downloaded for the game which I
    keep on my hard drive - some people copy onto CDs (I'm actually too lazy to
    do this bit) - it means if you have a crash and have to reinstall, you still
    have a copy of all your favourite downloads. They need to be managed
    though - I sort them by type and maker. This is assuming, of course, you
    have room for the store on your drive.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Khanzi" <khanzi@home.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just figured out how to download stuff into the download folder and
    > installing it.
    > After installing, can I remove the things in the download folder, or
    should
    > they stay there?
    >
    > --
    > Khanzi

    Just to be obstinate here :)
    Now, I download stuff right into my downloads folder, broken into
    sub-folders for the sites I download from. And then I unzip within each
    folder and then delete the zips. For houses, bodyshop files and hacks, I
    actually do put them somewhere else first.
    But this is only my latest way of doing this and may change again in the
    next few weeks, lol.
    Heck I just recently went back to subfolders for sites. I used to have
    subfolders according to type and function...............but with all the
    foreign sites out there, it's hard to tell what is what after a while.

> [...]
    > files into the game, it can be a real help.
    >
    > Finally, I have a store of things I have downloaded for the game which I
    > keep on my hard drive - some people copy onto CDs (I'm actually too lazy
    > do this bit) - it means if you have a crash and have to reinstall, you
    > still
    > have a copy of all your favourite downloads. They need to be managed
    > though - I sort them by type and maker. This is assuming, of course, you
    > have room for the store on your drive.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >

    > "Khanzi" <khanzi@home.nl> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just figured out how to download stuff into the download folder and
    >> installing it.
    >> After installing, can I remove the things in the download folder, or

    No-one's saying you can't - I'm just saying I wouldn't!

    Best
    Maxon

    > Just to be obstinate here :)
    > Now, I download stuff right into my downloads folder, broken into
    > sub-folders for the sites I download from. And then I unzip within each
    > folder and then delete the zips. For houses, bodyshop files and hacks, I
    > actually do put them somewhere else first.
    > But this is only my latest way of doing this and may change again in the
    > next few weeks, lol.
    > Heck I just recently went back to subfolders for sites. I used to have
    > subfolders according to type and function...............but with all the
    > foreign sites out there, it's hard to tell what is what after a while.

Download Sims Video Games