[Registry] Folders open weird

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:39:54 PM

Hi,

Would someone please point me to a list of explanation windows explorer
switches used in the registry?
(%1, %L, %I etc.)

Here's a specific problem I have. I've been messing with the registry :-(( -
Win2003, regedit 5.02 and it seems I modified the keys/commands for
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

I did this via Folder Options (ie. not in the registry at all) adding a
capability to list folder files in a TXT file (dir>list.txt) - seemingly
simple stuff, but it turned out to be a disaster.
Trying to open any folder only started one of the other applications listed
there (apparently it has taken over as a default action). So I deleted
everything from
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
leaving only "find", no real need for these apps anyway, but as a result,
clicking any folder produces just the Search window which I never use.

So I decided to manually add the "Open" key in the registry and this for a
command:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe "%L"

.... and this one works, ie. clicking a folder indeed opens it, but only as a
separate window, in spite of Folder Options being set to the contrary. I'm
glad that it works, but don't really need all those separate windows.

It seems that this behavior is controlled by the "%L" switch (?) for I've
tried many others which usually give me the "Access denied" message, so it
could be great to know all the switches to at least know what to choose
from. I've tried copying commands into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
from different keys commands which work fine (ie. Folder and Drive)
=%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%I,%L
with all variations, but only
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe "%L"
and
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe "%1"