jaylim0512

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
How do you know which CPU's can be overclocked more than others? Is it just through research or is there a certain specification that allows other CPU's to be overclocked more than others?

And could someone recommend me some CPU's that is in the $80-$120 range that could reach very high clock speeds through overclocking?

And does it matter what kind of motherboard I use? Do other motherboard handle overclocking better others? And how can I tell which one would handle ocing better?

Hi.

What mobo do you have in mind?

The mobo is a main component for overclock, if you have a good mobo then you get a good overclock with a good CPU. If you only want get high clocks of your CPU, I suggest your get an BE CPU like X4 955, that's more easy to overclock.

jaylim0512

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

How can I tell if a mobo is better over another? Anything I should be looking specifically?

And are BE CPU's just known to handle ocing better?

If you want overclock avoid the cheap mobos with onboard video.

The BE are more easy to overclock, because comes with unlock multiplier that you change and only change the CPU frequency of the CPU, while with a lock multiplier you need overclock using the FSB but that also change the RAM frequency, HT frequency and NB frequency.

jaylim0512

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thank you so much for your answers.

But I'm still wondering how can you tell a mobo is "cheap" other than looking at the price? Is it through other people's experiences or is it something else? Sorry, I am very new to this, so excuse my lack of knowledge and elementary questions.

With AM3+ right around the corner, buying AM3 seems a little short-sighted, but may not matter if this is basically just to experiment.
If you want to overclock for fun, the AMD Black Edition (or Intel "-K" processors) have unlocked multipliers, making basic overclocking a lot easier, but most any chip (possibly except non-K Sandy Bridge) can be overclocked by playing with clock and voltage settings on the mobo. Again, for experimenting, the AMD X3 (and some X2) CPUs may also allow dormant cores to be unlocked; they may or may not be stable.
If you want to overclock because you think you'll absolutely need the performance, then I'd suggest starting off with a faster CPU at the outset. Overclocking results vary considerably from one chip to the next, and there are no sure things. If you need the speed, then buy it, considering anything else you get a bonus.

jaylim0512

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

when I meant "cheap" I didn't mean price. What makes a mobo "cheap" compared to others?