Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using a laptop HDD in a desktop

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2011 5:03:02 AM

I have two 320 gb HDD's in my laptop. I built a new desktop this summer, and no longer need the extra storage in the laptop. Is there any problem with putting the laptop HDD (the one without the OS) into my desktop? I realize that I will probably need some sort of 3.5" to 2.5" adapter, but I think my computer case came with one.

Thanks.

More about : laptop hdd desktop

Best solution

January 15, 2011 5:53:28 PM

No problem at all, you can buy some 3.5" brackets for the hard drive bays in your computer and it'll work great, if it doesn't go to plan you can always ask what went wrong here, best of luck :) 
a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 11:43:45 PM

touchdowntexas13 said:
I have two 320 gb HDD's in my laptop. I built a new desktop this summer, and no longer need the extra storage in the laptop. Is there any problem with putting the laptop HDD (the one without the OS) into my desktop? I realize that I will probably need some sort of 3.5" to 2.5" adapter, but I think my computer case came with one.

Thanks.

Another thing to consider is you need to make sure that your Laptop Hard drive has an interface that your new Motherboard can accept. Just in case you have an IDE drive or even a SAS drive.
Related resources
January 20, 2011 2:20:38 AM

Best answer selected by touchdowntexas13.
January 20, 2011 2:21:57 AM

icy dock said:
Another thing to consider is you need to make sure that your Laptop Hard drive has an interface that your new Motherboard can accept. Just in case you have an IDE drive or even a SAS drive.

Thanks I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure it's a SATA drive though. If it's anything else I probably won't even bother.
!