picspace

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I am going to be installing windows 7 onto 4 1TB hard drives in raid 0 and I also have a 500GB drive that that will be in the system. All 5 drives are 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Would I be better off putting the windows swap file on the raid with the windows install or moving it over to the single 500GB drive, or is there another way that I would be better off setting it all up?

I only care about performance, I do alot of video editing and gaming. All of my important data is backed up nightly on a file server.

Solution
If all you care about it performance, then put the swapfile on the Raid which has faster read/write for large chunks. Also, put a spit-load of memory in the system so it doesn't have to use the swapfile at all.

+1 for "All of my important data is backed up nightly on a file server." A Raid 0 setup is 4 times as vulnerable to failure as a single disk. (Well, actually, if the probability of failure of one drive in time T is PfT, then the probability of failure of at least one of four in time T is [ 1 - ((1 - PfT)^^4]), which is pretty close to four times PfT but ever so slightly less when PfT is small.)

If all you care about it performance, then put the swapfile on the Raid which has faster read/write for large chunks. Also, put a spit-load of memory in the system so it doesn't have to use the swapfile at all.

+1 for "All of my important data is backed up nightly on a file server." A Raid 0 setup is 4 times as vulnerable to failure as a single disk. (Well, actually, if the probability of failure of one drive in time T is PfT, then the probability of failure of at least one of four in time T is [ 1 - ((1 - PfT)^^4]), which is pretty close to four times PfT but ever so slightly less when PfT is small.)

Solution