Sign in with
Your question

Are my Core 2 Quad 8200 temps safe?

Last response: in CPUs
August 23, 2009 1:03:25 AM

My Core 2 Quad Q8200 seems to be running too hot.It is idle at 60-51-54-57 degree Celsius respectively which i think is very hot but at load means using PRime95 small FTT it gets even hotter.

I am using stock cooling on a Intel DG35EC motherboard but have just ordered a abit ix38Quad GT mobo.The temps at full load are it reaches at 75-67-71-72 Degrees!!!!

I was planing to OC it a bit with the new mobo i am buying but looking at these temps what do you say i should do and oh i live in Asia means the climate is quite hot here can this be a reason for it???
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2009 1:22:19 AM

Your idle temperatures are hot for a quad running at stock clock, but if you are running Prime95 for an hour and top out at 75-67-71-72 that's pretty good. Especially if your room temperature is, say, 25C.

So . . .

- What did you use to measure the temps? Please use RealTemp and let us know.
- What's your room temperature?
- How long did you run Prime95? Run it for at least an hour . . . if you can.
August 23, 2009 1:33:26 AM

Mine was running around the same temps but a quick check inside reviled that it was a little dusty (and when I say a little dusty think of the dust as snow and your in a blizzard and your on your way there).
Related resources
August 23, 2009 5:32:19 AM

Twoboxer said:
Your idle temperatures are hot for a quad running at stock clock, but if you are running Prime95 for an hour and top out at 75-67-71-72 that's pretty good. Especially if your room temperature is, say, 25C.

So . . .

- What did you use to measure the temps? Please use RealTemp and let us know.
- What's your room temperature?
- How long did you run Prime95? Run it for at least an hour . . . if you can.

I am using Realtemp to measure temps and The room temp is from 25-30
I ran Prime95 for an hour and the temp kept lingering around the temps i gave.
Is it possible for me to do an overclock even if its a lil bit with stock cooling if yes which would be a safe temp?????
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2009 6:03:25 AM

Make sure the various thermal protections are enabled in BIOS, and go for it. Your delta from ambient under load is actually pretty good.
August 23, 2009 7:57:39 AM

Twoboxer said:
Make sure the various thermal protections are enabled in BIOS, and go for it. Your delta from ambient under load is actually pretty good.

Well i dont know what options i have to enable means thermal protection.I have a Intel mobo can someone guide me here.I am getting a new mobo the Abit ix38 Quad GT will it be of any help to reduce the temps??

a c 172 à CPUs
August 23, 2009 12:57:50 PM

You can find the thermal protection settings somewhere in the BIOS. I am not familiar with Intel motherboards. In the Gigabyte motherboards, it's located in the "PC Health Status" section on the BIOS. I have the thermal alarms on my boards set to 70 C. and I have the CPU fan alarm set as well.

Do not try to OC with the stock cooler. The stock cooler is just good enough for the chip to run at its rated speed. Unless you get a CPU chip with a pretty low VID, you have almost no reserve cooling capacity.

Two under $50 HSF's:

Xigmatec Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
August 23, 2009 2:21:43 PM

well i dont have any money left,I spent every penny but i looked at some really cheap fans like 4$-10$.I think i can squeeze this much money out of my pocket but no more.Will these cheapo fans be of any use?

I mean will they be worst,same or better than the stock cooling?

I live in India so i will not be able to buy anything from sites like newegg.But thanks for the suggestion.I also saw a 2$ fan! I am thinking of buying about 5 of them.Will 5 of them do a better job than fan you suggested??

Also what is the difference between a heatsink and fan.Do i need to buy a heatsink or fan?

Sorry for all these questions i really want some more juice out of my system without spending much.
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2009 11:19:44 PM

No, case fans will not help. And replacing the fan on your stock cooler won't help much either.

Your overclocking should wait until you can afford a cooler up to the task.
August 24, 2009 12:20:15 AM

Well thanks for all the suggestions dude.I think i'll have to wait then but i have bought a abit ix38 quad GT of ebay.I have heard some reviews that it is much cooler.Does that mean my temps would fall a bit.Even if it is jus 2 degrees??

a b à CPUs
August 24, 2009 12:43:06 AM

Highly unlikely.
August 24, 2009 9:23:21 AM

Thanks twoboxer for all your help.Just last question which is the best company in cooling fans??

And also tell me which of your answers to choose as best answer as i cant decide!!!
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2009 8:47:51 PM

These guys have a fairly consistent method for testing heat sinks. The table here:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=233...

shows how cool (vs. room temperature in that specific test) each cooler kept the load, and how noisy it was doing it. Start at the top of the list, check availability and prices, and work your way down. Note: There are other good coolers, too. They haven't reviewed *all* of them. Also, you will see most coolers are shown several times in that table at different fan settings.

I *did* give you two different rec's on OCing.

There's no denying *any* OC will generate more heat and therefore more wear and instability. The cooler you can keep the cpu, the more likely you are to get a stable OC that will not rapidly wear out your processor. In that sense, any useful, 24/7 OC should wait until you have a good cooling solution.

While an inefficient cooler will limit and somewhat distort your OC results, there's no reason you can't start playing at it now. OCing takes time and practice. If the mobo's temp protections are in place, the odds of damage are minimal.
August 30, 2009 11:16:08 PM

All right received my new mobo the Abit IX38 Quad GT and it running 3-4 degrees cooler than the old one (71-72) at full load so i played a bit with the FSB and took it to a mere 2.4 GHz on stock cooling.There were no heating issues after that but when i increased it to 2.45 Windows would hang every now and then.Do i need to increase the voltage or something like that.How much voltage to increase so i dont fry my CPU!

I even took it to 2.7 and the windows still loaded but hanged after i ran PRIME95.The mobo also came with uGuru a window based program for overclocking.Should i use that or play in the Bios.I want it to run at atleast 2.5 at stock cooling or better.The stock fan is running at 3240RPM when under load is it good or bad? Thanks in advance.
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 3:00:59 AM

Yes, there are things you need to do to OC including raises voltages at some point.

There are several guides around teaching the art of OCing. I'd recommend you read them and learn some of the basics. Once you have some knowledge, you might find some folks here willing to help answer specific questions.

I don't do remote OCing . . . not many people do . . . it's like tailoring a suit for someone based solely on a third party's description - and that person knows nothing about tailoring.

As for uGuru: I have no experience with it. Windows OCing programs are almost always "flaky", and BIOS OCing is the best approach. Having said that, Gigabyte's ET6 produced a 20% OC to 3.6GHz on a quad I run with one click. However, use of it's two higher options produced immediate crashes. YMMV.

Good Luck.
September 1, 2009 9:45:50 AM

OK i read a whole lot of guides and then overclocked at last from bios upping the voltages and FSB till i hit that 76 degree mark.But when i Overclocked through bios i was able to reach only till 2450 MHz after that system started to hang.But using uGuru i was able to reach 2505Mhz.But i see my RAM is also overclocking with it and currently running at 840Mhz (stock 800) is it safe?

September 1, 2009 9:51:52 AM

CPU VID 1.2125 Target Voltage 1.2125

DDR2 1.850
MCH 1.29
ICHIO 1.54
CPU VTT 1.14
ICH 1.09

I really dont understand any one of them but whenever my system started hanging after overclocking i would push each of them up 1 notch and it was stable again.Are these volts ok or anything wrong or something better can be done??
!