WD1002FAEX as a Boot-drive?

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
hey...everyone :hello:

I just bought a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard disk (WD1002FAEX) :bounce:

So before installing it, I was wondering if I should either make it a Boot drive or just secondary drive.
my current boot drive is Hitachi's 250GB, it has 8MB buffer memory dont know anything else about it! :(

I've heard that 'larger the storage of the drive is, the lesser is its stability' due to which i'm confused whether to make WD1002FAEX as my primary boot drive or not,
but its 64MB buffer & some other better features like 6Gb/s interface are sure catchy too! :sarcastic:

So PLEASE kindly advice me what will be a better option, I will be forever grateful to you! :)
Thanks in advance! ;)

Solution
I would.

However I would suggest creating a small partition (around 100GB) just for OS, drivers, and apps. The rest can be your storage drive for personal stuff (photos, movies, docs, games,etc). So if OS fails and need re-install, your personal stuff is safe.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I would.

However I would suggest creating a small partition (around 100GB) just for OS, drivers, and apps. The rest can be your storage drive for personal stuff (photos, movies, docs, games,etc). So if OS fails and need re-install, your personal stuff is safe.

Solution

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
thanQ you very much for your advice buddy.... :)

But u know after the installation i chose its partiton style to be GPT (GUID Partiton Table) instead of MBR (Master Boot Record) :(
and i'm not sure whether i'll be able to boot from the new drive or not!

if anyone can tell me....it will be very nice of you :wahoo:

my pc specs are:

Intel DG-33FB motherboard
Intel core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM

and i'm using window 7 32-bit.

i should have chosen MBR instead of GUID if i won't be able to boot from the new drive! :cry: