What Router should I get ?

dcm1602

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Looking for a new router, I do alot of gaming (pc and or xbox 360), wanted something that also has wireless for the fam, while offering high speed hard wire access to me.

I got Optimum Online Plus as my ISP in NY (if that makes any difference)

Ive gone through like 3 routers in the last year all of which have sucked so im really looking for something good thats going to last, and optimally offers 10/100/1000M LAN.

100-250$ is fine price wise range, just looking for the best performance.

Thanks for any suggestions !

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007

I'd be interested in the same thing. I find it odd that there are all these great sites reviewing and recommending almost every aspect of hardware, but very little ever in the way of routers and networking in general. I have a an older DSL router, Actiontec GT701(non wireless) it has worked great for over 5 years, just have a simple 10/100 meg switch plugged into it for my other few computers, all non wireless. but I always have wondered if there is something "better", I know this one has problems always negotiating 1500 Kbps down stream(what I currently pay for). Currently I'm at 1408 Kbps, though some days its back up to 1500 Kbps. Sometimes it is way less than 1408 Kbps. I've thought the lines may just be bad to my house, but thought it would be nice to try a different DSL router.

But, at least to answer your question. I have also been using a wireless router attached to my switch for some laptop use. Its a Netgear WGR614v8. It open source, and has some nice support from www.myopenrouter.com, I like the idea of being able to load other firmware to it, decent community support to. So, this will at least allow you to add wireless to your home network. You'd still need to be using some Cable or DSL router to connect you to your ISP.

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I second matobinder. Having the option to customize the router to suit your specific requirements [aka gaming ] is a good thing IMHO. Let us know which router you eventually selected