2nd time in a year that my graphics cards are failing on me

Martin_F

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Back in July of 08 I bought a PC from a company called Cyber Power PC. For the first 6 months everything ran great. Then I got a problem where I started seeing tiny blue dots all over my screen, be browsing the web or even on the task bar. I'd also see dots in the middle of any video I was watching. When it comes to playing games, there would be wholes in the middle of the textures while in other parts it would seem like somone grabbed a pixel and stretched it accross the screen.

After the first time it happen I drove all the way up to where the company that made my pc is located and in the end they simply replaced the two video cards for new ones of the same model. I'm running on two ATI Radeon 3800 series (512mb each). Yet now about 5 months later, the same problem has started again. It's not like I'm stressing my maching out with games like Crysis running at max. The games are normally play are Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead.

I think I still have a waranty with the company that sold me the pc, but I feel that all that's going to happen in the end is that they'll replace it with the same cards and that this problem is going to happen once again in the 5-6 months.

I wanted to underclock my video card, unfortunately ATI Catalyst won't give me that option (it's all greyed out) and if I try downloading any 3rd party software they too don't have the option of underclocking my graphics cards.

So at this point I don't know what to do really. I was thinking of maybe getting a new video card somewhere else like on newegg.com but I don't know which card there to get would be of at least the power of what I have now or better, and if doing that would make the problem go away in the first place at all.

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Cards do and will eventually fail. It could be possible that Cyber power got a bad batch of 3800's and you just happened to get 4 of them. I would call them first and see if they will replace them again, if so take them. Sell them for a better card. I'm not an ati guy but for performance a pair of 4870 will perform better than those will. Or if you want look at the 4890, 1 of those should do just fine. Depends on your Budget.

Or if you are hating ati right now you could always go with a Nvidia gtx 285 or 295.

one mans opinion.

Either way gl to you.

Irish

You didn't mention what power supply your system uses. One of my major criticisms of Cyberpower is the low quality and low wattage power supplies they use in their systems. This could be a contributing cause of your problems. List what your power supply is, perhaps that will help us find a solution. If you do still have a valid warranty with Cyberpower check with them, perhaps they'll replace the power supply and/or graphic cards or they may offer another solution.

jennyh

Splendid
What irish says is true. Cards will fail, all of them eventually. These are the most stressed components on any pc and it really is just a case of when rather than if.

I've had a 6600gt, x1950pro, 8800gt and 4870 fail up till now. That's a failure record of about 50% over all the cards I've ever owned. I've never had a cpu fail on me yet.

Martin_F

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

The power supply is 600w.

Here's a link to see all the specifications of the PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229034