Can not get rid of shadow under icons,nothing works...

stefandima

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
yes,including this and that and much more...i do,nt know what,s happenning?...as i said,in the past i was able to fix it like "this",but now!

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
1. Regedit option:
Start>Run.Type regedit
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Make sure List View Shadows has 0 . If it's 0x00000001, change last the 0.

2. Try this:
Download TuneUp utilities. It's usually used for cleaning and stuff, but it has the Tune Up styler utility for icons.
You can do an "icon repair" which would set settings to default.
Also set the Visual Effect under Optimize and improve to Best performance (that should also disable shadows)

3.Also try this stuffs:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1012616687 :hello:

Sounds like "something" keeps reseting the reg value.

Sometimes just having the drop shadow option set is not sufficient. If it's already set you first have to unset it and apply the change. Then reset it and apply the change again. That worked for me. If that still doesn't solve the problem you can also go to Control panel> user accounts and create a new account. That should have transparent text by default. Configure the new account to look like the old one then delete the old one.

stefandima

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i do not have that Advanced option in eplorer reg?!,nor the other one,no aktive desktop-by the way,such a pain to find on a pc the aktive desktop,sometimes i do,nt understand who built XP,microsoft,and so on, from bellow the page..***,it..i do,nt know what to do...thanks anyway...keep in touch...i know that vista but especially w7,is much better,i,ve tried,but i like xp,too,and by the way i never understood way we can find/download the defrag built in,or way is not present in w7....?!

stefandima

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
oh,i-ve forgot to tell you/i,m not sure who you really are?-you can,t be Tom!...but anyway,i like verry much tune up but untill now ...the same-nothing...

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I'm a she, not a he and not a Tom! :lol: and I'm actually a XP personalization addict(among other things) if you wanna know! :lol:

I don't think 7 is better then xp...(from my point of view , is on the contrary...)

But anyways, do a search of ListviewShadows (exacly like I write it!) in the HKEY user config and also in the HKEY local , it has to be in there somewhere...
By going to Edit>Find next and keep pressing F3 until it finds it.

If somethings fishy, and dosn't find it then maybe it's better to create a key yourself, by right clicking on Explorer and New>Key and name it Advanced. Click it .On the right empty space , right click and create a new Dword value yourself , name it ListviewShadows, and make sure it's set on 0x00000000.
Don't change anything else in there!

If that doesn't work, I agree with my upstairs neighbour, ksiemb , to make a new user and apply your personnal settings, then copy all your desktop and My documents to the new user...

If I'll think of anything else I'll let you know! :hello:

stefandima

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
that stuff,with switching users is interesting,but i don,t know...i will keep searching point3 from your sugesstions,see if i find something...

stefandima

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

stefandima

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
hello she,i,m a much older fan...i,ve tried that stuff...do i have to restart?...and if you are such an addicted xp-fan/ i did,nt said w7 is better or not,only i did,nt have this problem overthere,...tell my 2 things...why can we not download,the built in defrag,and/or why can i not implement diskeeper7/lite into w7...i could find more such q...the general ideea ,is,that this systems are not flexible enough for me/us..yet...thanks,kiss your hands...i could,nt find a smiley!sorry

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I get the point, but for my needs, XP is fine for now...

Yep, restart.
I hope it works, because my brain cogs are not at full speed today... :lol: ... and I can't think of anything else at the moment...

If U go the new user way, I'll give more details on putting your old personal files and settings...

Good luck! Keep in touch! :hello:

it is times like this I boil. If you want to keep searching, then sobeit, but you were given a solution to your problem. I can't force you to use it. Good Luck. I am through with adding to this thread.

:fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: