Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q9550 temp issues leave me stumped

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 23, 2009 6:45:47 AM

I just recently built a new computer and I have built computers before, just this is my first run in with the multi core computers and newer style heat sinks. I have an xfx 790 mobo a q9550 and an aftermarket heatsink the coolermaster V8. I used articsilver5 for the compound and reapplied it twice before posting this to make sure i didnt use too much or there was an error with that. For some reason all of my cores are reporting strange temps running idle and it gets stranger when i run a game. Right now core 1 is at 59C, 63C, 65C, and 60C all cores in order respectively. When I run crisis it drops down to the 45C to 50C range for all the cores. (i have multiple monitors and the one i use to display temp and other settings.) I have a pny gtx260 that runs idle around 48C and tops out at 65-68C at games and from what i saw in the forums it seems about common. The cpu has me stumped however. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could have done wrong or what may be causing this? Another thing I am running 64bit vista ultimate and this is my first 64 bit OS install so I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. Like i said I have built systems before but the recent tech i fell behind on a little so I appreciate any and all help!
Thank you !
August 23, 2009 6:57:10 AM

jx02123 said:
I just recently built a new computer and I have built computers before, just this is my first run in with the multi core computers and newer style heat sinks. I have an xfx 790 mobo a q9550 and an aftermarket heatsink the coolermaster V8. I used articsilver5 for the compound and reapplied it twice before posting this to make sure i didnt use too much or there was an error with that. For some reason all of my cores are reporting strange temps running idle and it gets stranger when i run a game. Right now core 1 is at 59C, 63C, 65C, and 60C all cores in order respectively. When I run crisis it drops down to the 45C to 50C range for all the cores. (i have multiple monitors and the one i use to display temp and other settings.) I have a pny gtx260 that runs idle around 48C and tops out at 65-68C at games and from what i saw in the forums it seems about common. The cpu has me stumped however. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could have done wrong or what may be causing this? Another thing I am running 64bit vista ultimate and this is my first 64 bit OS install so I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. Like i said I have built systems before but the recent tech i fell behind on a little so I appreciate any and all help!
Thank you !

Update for this question. I just found out about real temp and ran that. The temps its reporting vary drastically to the nvidia board thing that came with the mobo. Its reporting 39, 37, 35, and 41. Is that an ok range for temps?
August 23, 2009 3:14:01 PM

jx02123 said:
I just recently built a new computer and I have built computers before, just this is my first run in with the multi core computers and newer style heat sinks. I have an xfx 790 mobo a q9550 and an aftermarket heatsink the coolermaster V8. I used articsilver5 for the compound and reapplied it twice before posting this to make sure i didnt use too much or there was an error with that. For some reason all of my cores are reporting strange temps running idle and it gets stranger when i run a game. Right now core 1 is at 59C, 63C, 65C, and 60C all cores in order respectively. When I run crisis it drops down to the 45C to 50C range for all the cores. (i have multiple monitors and the one i use to display temp and other settings.) I have a pny gtx260 that runs idle around 48C and tops out at 65-68C at games and from what i saw in the forums it seems about common. The cpu has me stumped however. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could have done wrong or what may be causing this? Another thing I am running 64bit vista ultimate and this is my first 64 bit OS install so I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. Like i said I have built systems before but the recent tech i fell behind on a little so I appreciate any and all help!
Thank you !


Some aftermarks coolers stop to fan when the PC is idle and at a lower temp and restart it when it's operating, so it's for this you see lower temps when you actually play a game because probably the cooler read the idle temperature incorrectly and thinks is lower than reported. However idle temps are too high none the less also with passive cooling. Probably not much airflow in the case. These sorts of coolers in fact work in the theory that airflow is good and if it's not much of their efficacy is lost.

However as I've said your cooler acts strangely. It seems it reports temps incorrectly so start to work only when temps raises higher than a certain treshold. Watch the routine of the heatsink fan. If what I think is correct you should notice that when the PC is idle the fan slows very much or actually stops, to restart at it's full speed when you load a game.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 23, 2009 3:15:04 PM

jx02123 said:
Update for this question. I just found out about real temp and ran that. The temps its reporting vary drastically to the nvidia board thing that came with the mobo. Its reporting 39, 37, 35, and 41. Is that an ok range for temps?


Then it seems that the cooler was correct and these are the right temps. It was strange in fact that the heatsink that has a direct temp reading was wrong about it. If the temps are the same or little different from idle and full load at standard CPU voltages there's nothing wrong. It's how some heatsinks works as I've already explained.
August 23, 2009 3:24:15 PM

well I do have a fan controller that i can plug into that also monitors fan speed. I havent connected my cpu to it yet because i was trying to leave the automated stuff run the cpu. Ill connect that up and see what happens. But to go back to the first post I was using Nvidia System Monitor when it gave me the scary temps. Real temp seems to be reporting fine (with it running the same time as Nvidia system monitor, the Nvidia's still reports 60+ and its still 40 or below.
August 23, 2009 5:18:39 PM

jx02123 said:
well I do have a fan controller that i can plug into that also monitors fan speed. I havent connected my cpu to it yet because i was trying to leave the automated stuff run the cpu. Ill connect that up and see what happens. But to go back to the first post I was using Nvidia System Monitor when it gave me the scary temps. Real temp seems to be reporting fine (with it running the same time as Nvidia system monitor, the Nvidia's still reports 60+ and its still 40 or below.


Nvidia system temps doesn't work so well. I remember when I had a P5N32-E SLI with the Nvidia 680 chipset and using Nvidia Monitoring I got very wrong voltages and temp. It seems clear to me that the Nvidia's monitor is lying there. However to be sure use also CPUID Hardware monitor to test temps. You will have clearer picture.
August 24, 2009 2:10:01 AM

selea said:
Nvidia system temps doesn't work so well. I remember when I had a P5N32-E SLI with the Nvidia 680 chipset and using Nvidia Monitoring I got very wrong voltages and temp. It seems clear to me that the Nvidia's monitor is lying there. However to be sure use also CPUID Hardware monitor to test temps. You will have clearer picture.


I just ran CPUID and its giving me the same results as Real Temp. I feel a lot better knowing I shouldn't break anything with these temperatures. Only things kinda worrying me is the high temps on the gtx260 now with extended game play, but i have a pile of case fans blowing on the graphics card. My last computer was a core2duo e6300 that i purchased from gateway and just put a graphics card in and power supply. The last one that I built was a athlonxp2600 (if i remember correctly) and a 6800 for graphics. Its been a while since Ive built a system. I almost forgot about the several days of tweaking things to get it all just right haha. Thanks for your help with this !
August 24, 2009 2:10:29 AM

selea said:
Nvidia system temps doesn't work so well. I remember when I had a P5N32-E SLI with the Nvidia 680 chipset and using Nvidia Monitoring I got very wrong voltages and temp. It seems clear to me that the Nvidia's monitor is lying there. However to be sure use also CPUID Hardware monitor to test temps. You will have clearer picture.


I just ran CPUID and its giving me the same results as Real Temp. I feel a lot better knowing I shouldn't break anything with these temperatures. Only things kinda worrying me is the high temps on the gtx260 now with extended game play, but i have a pile of case fans blowing on the graphics card. My last computer was a core2duo e6300 that i purchased from gateway and just put a graphics card in and power supply. The last one that I built was a athlonxp2600 (if i remember correctly) and a 6800 for graphics. Its been a while since Ive built a system. I almost forgot about the several days of tweaking things to get it all just right haha. Thanks for your help with this !
!