Solved

Mix two brands/sizes of RAM

I have GeIL Esoteria 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GX24GB6400ERBPDC installed on windows 7 machine. EVGA i680 MB. I have an additional Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804. When I install the Crucial in the MB it posts fine, even memory test from MB comes out ok. But when I boot Windows 7 each time I get the BSOD. I've read on the boards that as long as the speed is the same (DDR2) I should have no problems. How can my MB work fine/recognize both sets of memory but WIN7 balks? Is there anything I can do to use the additional memory? Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about brands sizes
  1. Best answer
    Geil requires 1.9V - 2.5V and Crucial requires 2.2V. If installing both kits, you'll need at least 2.2V or more. It always is more difficult to get 4 modules working. You might also have to loosen the timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15.
  2. On my MB I selected auto for both voltage and timing. Shouldn't that adjust/suffice for all modules or should I manually tweak the voltage and timing. I don't want to burn out the memory or MB or anything else by doing this.
  3. If you don't want to increase voltage manually, then you should buy modules that only require 1.8V to run. Set the voltage to 2.2V to see if it corrects your issue.
  4. Dude, thanks a lot. I increased the voltage to 2.2v and wa la it worked. I also set the timings to 4-4-4-12 2t, they had been on auto registering at 5-5-5-18 2t. If I have any problems I'll go back to auto for the timings. I almost threw away 2GB of RAM! Thanks again!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Dual Channel