Power Supply Enquiries

sP3C7RuM

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Hi there guys, am looking at building a new system, dont know if the psu's im thinkin bout are overkill or not?

The system is:
Intel CORE I7 920
Intel Extreme DX58SO
OCZ 6GB Platinum DDR3 PC3 12800 3X2GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
Seagate 1TB SATAII
Sony AD7200S0 20x DVD Burner

I will be using this machine mostly as a work-horse but want a decent gaming machine also, I plan to do a mild OC to 3.2GHz for reliability as I know these OC to 4GHz quite easily (from what I've read) maybe later when I get a water-cooling system Ill try those speeds but for now 3.2GHz will do, No plans as to OC the GTX

The PSU's I have looked are as follows

AcBel 800W ATX-800CA-AB8FB
Gigabyte ODIN GT 800W

Still dont know if I should be looking at 700w section.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

sP3C7RuM

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Put in specs with possible maximum settings, recommended PSU power was 633 watts

so now im looking at these ones possibly:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W
Corsair 750W TX
Silverstone ST75ZF 750W

Which one is of superior quality, Im leaning towards the Corsair PSU

Thanks for your reply

sP3C7RuM

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
sorry bout the late reply just been a bit busy with everything! you know you know.

thanks for all your advice hunter, it has been greatly appreciated

will definetly go for the corsair now, ill be getting it on special with everything im buying

thanks for everything

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
+1 for corsair PSU. Another good option, of equal quality:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

I wouldn't get that motherboard, its not very good. An Asus P6T Deluxe V2 can be had at newegg for $260 right now if you have the promo code for it, which is a much better deal.

What version of seagate drive is that? Don't get it if its a 7200.11 drive, they had a lot of issues. If its a 7200.12 drive, then its alright, but the WD1001FALS is a better drive.

sP3C7RuM

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
thanks thekid lucky you said something about the harddrive, it is that vers. 11 one

Ummm........ the only reason why i was getting the intel board was because its the third cheapest board where i am (NZ) the intel board coming in at $438.75 NZD & p6t deluxe at $612.75 NZD and im trying for more a stable computer than performance, so because of the price difference im leaning towards the intel, this comp is more of a work hack than a gamer but its good to know im able to still play games!!!

on another note its the cheapest SLi board in my country, just incase i wanna pop another gtx in there later!

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
y does everyone say WD black is better than the seagate 7200.12? the tests show dependding on what you want, (random access time, throughput etc.) some are better than others... its really just what u can get cheapest

tho, as the xthekidx said, 7200.11 are fails (well, they were )

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

I have seen some not so stellar reviews of them, which is why I don't really suggest them, although some sites reviewed them quite highly. The WD Caviar Black drives are on the other hand unquestionably good quality.

As far as the MB goes, can you provide links to online stores where you would shop so we know what is available and prices? My main gripe with the Intel board is its not so well thought out board layout. I have even talked to an Intel engineer about this who works on the stepping development team and he couldn't understand why the MB was made with only 4 dimm slots. In terms of stability, its fine, but its limited in upgrade options, and isn't a particularly good overclocker. So here in the US its not really a good deal, but where you are it might make sense, depending on the other prices. I think I would go for the GA-EX85-UD3R before the intel board though.